Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
    Did not see ticks or lice.

That's good I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery hopefully I can get out there before it gets too hot!

Comment

I sent TPWD a e-mail today about hunter orange at Granger. It doesn't say anything about it on page 91 of the handbook, however in the the violation section it states that hunter orange must be worn when gun hunting is permitted. I see lots of hunters out there with out it. I mentioned it to some guys and I was told it is not required. I have ask a game warden out there and he said he wasn't sure because duck hunters didn't have to wear it. I got this from TPWD
      Good Afternoon,

You are correct, 400 square inches is required appearing on both chest and back during daylight hours when hunting with firearms is permitted.

Thanks,
      Ashlie

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
        After grxh pretty much that's it, too many rattlesnakes, poison ivy,ticks and mosquitoes after feb...March maybe but I'll see you from my boat in the river....cause u will be the only one beating the brush.....Sneaky used to do it in the summer, ask him...lol
        You have to be a crazy sumb**ch like me (or Carnage and a few others) to chase pigs in the mighty Granger JUNGLE. It CAN be done, and it CAN be done successfully, but the game changes completely.

1. Wear snake boots ALWAYS.
        2. Hunt near water.
        3. THERMACELL THERMACELL THERMACELL!
        4. Find wallows, bait the area, and post up 30yds downwind from where the thickest cover is. They will show up 15 minutes before shooting light ends.

You're welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
          My third Granger hog for 2016. Got it today around 5:45pm.
          Awesome congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
            Well, not exactly true. I did not see a hog, just lots of deer. I did stumble across a turkey nest with two eggs in it. Pretty cool, as I have never seen a turkey at Granger.
            That is awesome! I wonder if theyre Eastern or Rio Grande? Either way really cool!

Also while at GRXH...between the bridge and shed on the feeder creek peninsula by the bur oak hog crossing...I found a really nice trifold camo chair with a back rest...the clepto in me almost took it...I moved it closer to the waters edge if someone is looking for their chair...in the boxelder saplings... Sorry.

Comment

Unlabeled and unsecured...Gear a drift is gear a gift....secure your ****!
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-25-2016, 07:03 AM. Reason: Gearspake

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                I sent TPWD a e-mail today about hunter orange at Granger. It doesn't say anything about it on page 91 of the handbook, however in the the violation section it states that hunter orange must be worn when gun hunting is permitted. I see lots of hunters out there with out it. I mentioned it to some guys and I was told it is not required. I have ask a game warden out there and he said he wasn't sure because duck hunters didn't have to wear it. I got this from TPWD
                Good Afternoon,

You are correct, 400 square inches is required appearing on both chest and back during daylight hours when hunting with firearms is permitted.

Thanks,
                Ashlie
                The PHL Book is explicitly clear on who needs to wear hunter orange and when...

Hunter Orange
                ◦fails to visibly wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headwear and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back during daylight hours at times when hunting with firearms is permitted.

Exempt from these requirements are:
                (1) authorized department personnel and landowner employees,
                (2) persons hunting turkey or migratory game birds, (this would include waterfowl, they are migratory)
                (3) persons within the enclosed passenger compartment of a motor vehicle,
                (4) persons within a designated campground, designated vehicle parking area, designated boat launching facility or departmental check station, and
                (5) persons other than hunters on COE properties.

Notice: to archery hunters and recreational users: You must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit. Many units allow firearm hunting year-round for rabbits, and firearm hunts for squirrel and dove often are conducted concurrently with archery deer hunts.

Duck hunters are exempt as are turkey hunters; the exemption only applies to these hunters.

Granger allows gun hunting year round for small game; therefore, hunter orange is required.

There is no need to ask Game Wardens and COE personnel, it's in the book!

I guarantee, if you get a ticket and try to fight it based on what a Game Warden or COE employee said, you will loose!

Even Ashlie was incorrect in here response to the email question; she left out the part about needing headwear!

I know this has been posted a hundred times, but I want to make it very clear for the new people hunting; hunter orange is required if you are hunting pigs. Whether you choose to wear it or not is up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  That is awesome! I wonder if theyre Eastern or Rio Grande? Either way really cool!
                  That's the only place I have seen turkey, on the San Gabriel Unit. They are Rio Grande.

Comment

been meaning to go out there for a while. is there camping in grander? how is it? help needed my friends

Comment

been meaning to go out there for a while. is there camping in grander? how is it? help needed my friends

Comment

There are RV hookups and campsites at the 4 COE parks around the lake. One primitive camping site, right on the San Gabriel.

Comment

The problem with the PHL book is that it does state about Hunter Orange at the front of the book, but says nothing about it on the Granger Page while other pages for various lands sometimes state specifically that hunter orange must be worn. I think this is where the confusion is. I wish they would state it right on the Granger page. Signs at the various gates would help too. Anybody going out tomorrow?

Comment

I'm heading out there with some buddies March 25-17th... should be fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                              The problem with the PHL book is that it does state about Hunter Orange at the front of the book, but says nothing about it on the Granger Page while other pages for various lands sometimes state specifically that hunter orange must be worn. I think this is where the confusion is. I wish they would state it right on the Granger page. Signs at the various gates would help too. Anybody going out tomorrow?
                              Other areas state that because it must be worn even though there is no other firearm hunting permitted. IOW, it must be worn at all times, period.

The Prohibited Acts should be adhered to UNLESS the Legal Game Legend specifies something else for that unit.

For example. In the Prohibited Acts it specifies that feral hog hunting can only occur during daylight hours; but in the Legal Game Legend for Granger it specifies that we can hunt feral hogs from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. If it didn't state this we would have to adhere to what is stated in the Prohibited Acts section.

To print that hunter orange must be worn by archery hunters at all times in the Legal Game Legend for Granger would be redundant; it already states that in the Prohibited Acts section for all PHLs.

Rules and regs will only be stated in the Legal Game Legend when they differ from the Prohibited Acts section.

Back in the day there were signs up at all the access points, they even had the gate numbers on them; people shot them to pieces.

It's not confusing, you just hafta think like a government bureaucrat! Okay, maybe that is confusing...

Comment

I was planning on heading out there tomorrow texasn4ut.

Comment

Working...
                                X