No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went looking for pigs again yesterday (Sat). Gate 4, 7:00A, 39 degrees with a strong wind. The shower Friday night helped tremendously by de-crunching the leaves. I had expected a North wind, so I planned (and went) South of Willis Creek. Turned out that the wind was actually WNW, which didn't really help me much.

I followed the road in a while, then off to the South. Eventually got to three small ponds, and just East to a much longer one that you can even see on the USGS topo. This is likely just Southwest of "VII" on the page 1 map. Through there, you're hugging the North side of some agricultural fields. I then turned back, but did so by going up into each of the bends of Willis Creek.

The round trip took three hours. I didn't see a single pig - even the backside of a fleeing one. Countless deer out there. The South side of the creek is incredibly open and covered in fallen trees. Getting around is pretty trivial. The North side is completely different, and often virtually impassable near the creek's edge.

Comment

Was out early this morning and put an arrow in a nice size hog just before 8 o'clock. Called my brother out to help me and followed the blood for almost eight hours before we couldn't follow it anymore. He was last seen headed northeast passing gate 6.

First time I haven't been able to recover an animal and this was my first hog out at Granger. I feel terrible about it. If anyone happens to find a black hog with a broadbead and half an arrow in its left shoulder, please let me know. I'd feel better thinking it atleast went down before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by RickyS View Post
        Hunting with a spear is legal for non game animals/fish in Texas. I haven't found a rule against them for use on public land yet. Somebody help me out here.
        As per tpwd and the game warden u can only hunt hogs on granger phl with archery equip...if you want to try spearing a squirrel good luck on that. Lol

Comment

Theodore, these granger pigs don't die easy Son, keep slinging arrows u will recover one soon enough...all of us have lost pigs out there.....it happens...

Comment

But on the spear question here is a scenerio, you put 4 arrows in a sow and she still was trying to walk away on her own free will and drive to live, u have no more arrows so you run and jump on her back and stab her with your buck knife until she expires, like 15 times in the neck...I'm sure it would be ok to finish them off with a spear...lol...
            Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 02-07-2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Good job Theodore! She will die...hopefully. They are invasive and destructive. You werent malicious and wasteful hearted. Try the Oklahoma heart shot next time!

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                As per tpwd and the game warden u can only hunt hogs on granger phl with archery equip...if you want to try spearing a squirrel good luck on that. Lol
                I got my information from the tpwd site. It's easy to look up.

What say ye Sir Rat? Master of all things Granger!
                Last edited by RickyS; 02-08-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RickyS View Post
                  I got my information from the tpwd site. It's easy to look up.

What say ye Sir Rat? Master of all things Granger!
                  According to the phl book, a spear is not a legal means and method for feral pigs at Granger. Finishing one off by whatever means necessary, i.e. a pocket knife or fixed blade knife, is in keeping with the unwritten ethical code of making every effort to end the animals suffering. However, hunting with just a knife is not a legal means and method either.

No spears, unless fired from a bow!

Comment

Theodore: Them hogs are tanks. If you only pierced one lung, it may survive and you will have another chance at it. If you hit above the lungs, it will PROBABLY will survive. Go back to page 136 and look at the diagram of hog innards.

Comment

Can anybody tell me how long the hog hunting is good out there? ie....until it reaches 75° or 80°

Comment

At Granger, to me it is more about when it "greens-out" that it becomes kind of a hassle and not very efficient. Not necessarily temp based.

When the underbrush starts to sprout in the spring so that it greatly limits your visibility and shots. Usually mid-March maybe? But this winter has been unusually warm, so I'm betting it will be sooner than normal.

Pigs are always there, but at some point your time outside is better spent fishing.
                        Last edited by Endo; 02-08-2016, 06:25 PM.

Comment

After grxh pretty much that's it, too many rattlesnakes, poison ivy,ticks and mosquitoes after feb...March maybe but I'll see you from my boat in the river....cause u will be the only one beating the brush.....Sneaky used to do it in the summer, ask him...lol

Comment

The catch is this, not hardly anyone hunts them in summer, so not alot of boots on the phl, u can put out corn and a ladder or lock on and kill a bunch off stand and corn with only having to walk to and from your stand, invest in a therma cell and a game cart while they are on sale. Also u won't see them until right b4 dark...

Comment

And don't forget the tick collars [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                                The catch is this, not hardly anyone hunts them in summer, so not alot of boots on the phl, u can put out corn and a ladder or lock on and kill a bunch off stand and corn with only having to walk to and from your stand, invest in a therma cell and a game cart while they are on sale. Also u won't see them until right b4 dark...
                                And, if you do it right, you can make it real easy. I like to set my stands and feeders up so that they are close to the river/water. This way I can boat right up close, get out and walk just a few yards to the stand; it makes setup, filling and tear down a breeze as well.

Of course, it's been a few years since I was that mad at Granger hogs; but that's how we did it back in the day anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X