X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a primitive camp area it's on the map of granger

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      Can you camp anywhere out there or only at designated camp sites?
      Only at designated camp sites. There are a few parks around the lake and one camp site up the river.

Comment

Thanks guys! In trying to plan out feasibility to hunt here from a kayak

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
          Only at designated camp sites. There are a few parks around the lake and one camp site up the river.
          Besides Dirty and Crod there's a couple other groups at the primitive camp this weekend. I went to camp just for a visit yesterday for a while before dark. Crod was in the field and as usual he was on pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by RickyS View Post
            Besides Dirty and Crod there's a couple other groups at the primitive camp this weekend. I went to camp just for a visit yesterday for a while before dark. Crod was in the field and as usual he was on pigs.
            He can usually find em! Any blood shed?

Comment

My son and I made our first hunt at Granger this morning. We've done recon, but this was the first time with weapons. Thanks to everyone on the thread for familiarizing us with the area and terminology in advance.

We arrived at Gate 7 at 6:45 in time to be in the woods at sunrise, 7:02. 34 degrees with, unfortunately, a decent breeze from the North, which would make it hard for us to get downwind of any piggies. We met a couple of gents from the forum in the parking lot. They were headed Northeast towards Gate 5, so we went West towards the steps.

After about half an hour, we came up on 12-15 pigs - but they knew we were coming and took off like scalded, well, pigs, due North up an obvious (and marked) hog superhighway. We followed them maybe 50 yds up to a little mud bowl, but never saw them again. Did see a deer to the West there, but at rifle distance, not crossbow. The pigs seemed small, probably nothing over 75#.

We continued South and West a total of about a mile, past a cable strung over the river, and to a fenceline that you'd have to cross or go around to continue in the WMA. Then we turned around, walking between the private property line and the river. Saw another deer down at that end, but again, not close. After less than ten minutes - by the old washing machine - we walked up on a larger hog, maybe 100#. We were within 15 yds, but it took us by surprise and we didn't get a shot off.

Perhaps not great, but a good morning hunting! As total noobs, we have some work to do on our style (and noise). Hopefully we scared pigs towards other hunters and not away from anyone. We never saw another soul once we left the parking lot, though I know that we went in the 'less popular' direction to start with.

Happy hunting!

Comment

He can usually find em! Any blood shed?
                I was wondering the same thing I knew there was a few groups out this weekend, I didn't end up making it out but I did make the bow mount for the kayak ....

Just need to field test it now..

Comment

Thanks for the update @byrontx they are out there gotta do the work like you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                    I was wondering the same thing I knew there was a few groups out this weekend, I didn't end up making it out but I did make the bow mount for the kayak ....

Just need to field test it now..
                    Looks pretty nice!

Comment

Can you carry a pistol at granger for self defense? Had a couple of scary close encounters today. We did spill some blood but lost them when they crossed a fence into private land.

Comment

I do for emergencies only

Comment

Looks pretty nice!
                          Thanks..just painted it red like the mount..I think it's gonna work alright

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
                            Can you carry a pistol at granger for self defense? Had a couple of scary close encounters today. We did spill some blood but lost them when they crossed a fence into private land.
                            You can carry if you have LTC permit.

Comment

Pretty positive you can't carry at Granger...

Comment

I've been checked by wardens and they seen me carry didn't say anything that I couldn't. Just saying my own experience .

Comment

Working...
                                X