Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK

Comment

Went out Monday and Tuesday. Was covered up in hogs monday and did not see or hear one on Tuesday. They really move around out there. I hit the same spots on Tuesday to no avail, and went to many new ones.

I managed to shoot one 50 lb-or-so red hog on Monday, but was not able to find it, though not for lack of looking. I found a group of about twenty or so in some thick new growth brushy area, and played hide and seek with them for a while until I finally got a shot at one where they had bedded down on the banks of a ravine. It looked like a good quartering away shot, but the blood trail ended after about 20 yards where I found some hog tissue on a green briar vine, so I think the hole got plugged and the hog quit bleeding externally. I searched the area in circles, but never found it. Very frustating not to walk out of there with one. I've hunted hogs at Granger for several years and that's the first shot I've taken at a hog out there, so I really wanted to bring it home. I've gone through it in my head and all I can think is that the hog was not quartering away as much as I thought. I saw the entry wound on the hog as it was running off and it was slightly higher than I was aiming, but still should have taken out the lungs. If the hog was not quartering as much as I thought, it may have only gotten the liver. Food for the coyotes is the way I have to look at it. Frustrating to say the least, but I had a great time!

Ironically, I found someone elses hog bloodtrail in a completely different area near the old quarry. It looked like a drag mark, so I'm assuming that one was found and dragged off. Any of ya'll get that one?

thanks for reading-

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
        How'd yah do
        we didnt get to go,werre gonna try it sat morn

Comment

move around they do. What area were you in, surfin pete? I seem to have chased them out of sore finger.

Comment

Havent been able to get out for the past couple of weeks but plan to this weekend, I have mainly been going through Pecan grove without much luck. I want to try and get out on some of these islands and some of the tougher to get to areas using my Kayak. I keep hearing about putting in at the "Steps". In what area is this located?

Comment

Originally posted by gtek View Post
              move around they do. What area were you in, surfin pete? I seem to have chased them out of sore finger.

It was in one of the units in the San Gabriel arm of the lake. That's about as specific as I'd like to get right now.

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
                It was in one of the units in the San Gabriel arm of the lake. That's about as specific as I'd like to get right now.
                Good answer.

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
                  Ironically, I found someone elses hog bloodtrail in a completely different area near the old quarry. It looked like a drag mark, so I'm assuming that one was found and dragged off. Any of ya'll get that one?
                  If you were in E, F, or G, there were doe and hogs shot in those units on the last hunt, maybe it was those.

Comment

About what time of year does the hog killing pick up out there? I currently live in San Marcos, but am thinking about getting my public hunting permit and making a few trips. I will probably move up into the Round Rock area some time this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
                      About what time of year does the hog killing pick up out there? I currently live in San Marcos, but am thinking about getting my public hunting permit and making a few trips. I will probably move up into the Round Rock area some time this summer.

The hogs are there 24/7. I don't go out there after it greens up because of all the poison Ivy unless it's for dove hunting or deer surveying for TPWD.

But there's a big old fat sow out there with you name on it, post pictures!

Comment

Went out this morning for a few hours and finally came across some hog. Downside is that I couldnt get close enough because of all of the dead leaves and scared them off plus the wind was swirling so it was hard to get close but I think I have a good spot to go to now and will try and get there early next time and get setup.

I am definately hooked now, it was a pretty big adrenaline rush to hear them crashing through the brush with all of grunting and everything. Cant wait to get out again. Hope to get my first one soon.

Comment

man is that island tore up,theve been in there bigtime,ran 2 big hogs out of the center where all the blood weeds are laying down,they ran the wrong way to where my son was setup,gsaw about 30 little grunters on the bank of 6,looked to be 2 groups of piglets but no mamas,probably the 2 i ran on the island r the momas i think i just plain got out smarted today

Comment

The helicopter is coming back out in couple of days.

Comment

gbeard, i saw the sign posted. Do they just shoot em and let em lay for the coyotes? They are gonna be there the 27-29th or something like that. Hope to get something before they get started.

Comment

I understand completely . . .besides, they do move around a lot. Gonna go out sun and probably mon too . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X