No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard something about it attacking a group of scouts last year. They were hanging at there fire telling stories and bam out of no where it went right down the middle of the group. Thank god no one got hurt.

Comment

hahaha i had the best seat in the house lol

Comment

Lmao.I heard that one of the girls still wakes up screaming at night

Comment

Originally posted by Genevieve View Post
          I have a duck stamp, I buy one every year eventhough I don't always use it.
          You also need to be HIP certified and the Texas Migratory Stamp; assuming the Duck stamp you already have is the Federal stamp. If you are bow hunting out there, then you must already have the APH.

I've not hunted out there in sometime for ducks, but according to a book I bought, Texas Waterfowl, the northern coves are better for ducks. However, in the circles I run in, Granger is referred to as, "Lake Skunk."

Just know this, duck hunting has been known to be addictive.

Comment

went out yesterday afternoon and heard some hogs playing in the mud but it was past shooting hours and couldnt set up since i was walking back out, but i have an idea of where they cross and jump in so im gonna go back out today and see if i cant stick me one.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
              To hunt hogs year round you just buy a license and an annual public land permit. (48bucks). You can hunt year round other than the dates its closed for the TPWD draw hunts. no signing up needed. Just have your licenses and hunter orange, bow only. If it deer your after youll have to draw the hunt or go stand byfor the TPWD draw hunts. If you start at page one on this thread there are maps and tons of good info!
              You have too wear orange out there to hunt hogs?

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                You have too wear orange out there to hunt hogs?
                yes hunter orange is required when hunting hogs,alot of people dont wear it but it is required when there is squirrell hunting which there is no closed season

Comment

I went to the canoe lunch gate 7 this evening. Got out there alittle late 4:15pm. Didn't see any hogs, but lots of deer. I walked in about 1/2 mile and found were so trails came together. I walked in off the trail about 20 yds and there was an old tree tree stand that was nailed up in a tree. It looked pretty old and there was an old cushion laying on the ground about 15ft away. I sat at the base of the tree and had a doe and a small buck come thru. See caught me ranging some tree and snorted at me. She acted like she say me but didn't know what i was. I got to use my new range finder and she was at 69yds. I saw a young man out there on a mountain bike and I was amazed at how quite it was. It was a lot quieter than I thought, so I might have to give it a try.

Comment

went out to pecan yesterday afternoon and setup. i heard the hogs about 20-30 yds in front and to the left of me and i heard them moving in the reeds and mud they started moving a little later than i wanted and never came out to give me a shot. i was thinkning about the bike thing so i can get to my spot quicker, but i have a car and dont feel like spending 30 mins just making it fit and then pullign it out. lol i may just have to get "sick" on wed at noon and take off work so i can head out to pecan unit again. lol

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                      went out to pecan yesterday afternoon and setup. i heard the hogs about 20-30 yds in front and to the left of me and i heard them moving in the reeds and mud they started moving a little later than i wanted and never came out to give me a shot. i was thinkning about the bike thing so i can get to my spot quicker, but i have a car and dont feel like spending 30 mins just making it fit and then pullign it out. lol i may just have to get "sick" on wed at noon and take off work so i can head out to pecan unit again. lol
                      Don't forget there's an archery deer hunt going on this week. Just tryin' to save you a trip out. I think they leave the Sore Finger unit open for hog hunters, but below the dam will be closed for sure.

Comment

**** i forgot about that!! thanks montec that saves me a sick day lol. i havent hunted the other units just pecan as this is my 1st time doing public hunting and only 3rd time out there. is there any hot spots on sore finger for hogs?

Comment

dam with a n is a edited word??? lol

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                            **** i forgot about that!! thanks montec that saves me a sick day lol. i havent hunted the other units just pecan as this is my 1st time doing public hunting and only 3rd time out there. is there any hot spots on sore finger for hogs?
                            Sore finger is good, but it's a long, long, long walk from the parking area covering lots of open ground to get to where the piggies are. Like about 2 miles. That makes it even better, cuz no one ever goes back there. Some good deer in that unit as well.

Comment

lol i walked about 7 miles in pecan on sat so 2 miles is fine to me. lol

Comment

I lke the sorefinger unit as well but it is a long walk. I usually take my boat when i go there. I find alot more deer in there then hogs though... kills me when you see bigger deer than i have ever shot and have to pass up on it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X