Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brandondferrier View Post
    do they ever charge and pose a threat?
    I've been going out there every weekend for a couple of months now and all I've seen have been sows and babies. They are really skiddish and will run at any sign of a human. Males are more aggressive but again haven't seen any yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tourniquet View Post
      Hello everyone! I have been lurking around on this forum for a few weeks and took my first hunt yesterday with a few buddies. I have to say thank you for the organization, tips and information etc. on this thread it definitely seems like some good people.
      Welcome! Same story here...followed the thread for awhile before first hunt last Sunday. Seeing several hogs leap up and go crashing through the bushes snorting was a blast, and something that wouldn't have happened without the education here. I look forward to learning more.

Comment

A lot of new hunters

Just at work and decided to look and see how this thread has progressed since 2009.
        Currently this thread is the second most visited thread on this website!
        That's lead to a lot of pork down!

Welcome to the new folks and happy hunting!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXAggie06 View Post
          I've been going out there every weekend for a couple of months now and all I've seen have been sows and babies. They are really skiddish and will run at any sign of a human. Males are more aggressive but again haven't seen any yet.
          Sorry but thats not true at Granger...boars run faster away from you just like the sows.......Nike spikes.....these hogs will "not" defend their piglets or come after u unless there arrowed and in a corner.....20 years of experience on granger..huntin pigs....ive even put piglets in my backpack and pockets to try to get one to come to me...no dice...and someone else posted that they stop and look back like a deer, no....they run away from u if its miles....they dont look back or circle back....they run away from u....thats why pushes work so well out there....

Comment

Originally posted by brandondferrier View Post
            do they ever charge and pose a threat?
            No......they run or swim.....

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
              Sorry but thats not true at Granger...boars run faster away from you just like the sows.......Nike spikes.....these hogs will "not" defend their piglets or come after u unless there arrowed and in a corner.....20 years of experience on granger..huntin pigs....ive even put piglets in my backpack and pockets to try to get one to come to me...no dice...and someone else posted that they stop and look back like a deer, no....they run away from u if its miles....they dont look back or circle back....they run away from u....thats why pushes work so well out there....
              Good to know. Again I haven't seen any boars out there yet so I don't know how they behave. Most animals will run from you instead of standing ground. Except bears. They'll fight you. Good thing we don't have any here.

Comment

I just wanted to take a moment to welcome all the fresh blood that's recently shown up on this thread. Put in the miles and you will be taking delicious pork home!

Comment

I am always looking for game tracks/ signs when I'm out on my radio tower sights, plus looking to see if it's able to be hunted on. So, I'm down in Bastrop at a LCRA power plant site and two does were walking across the road in front of me about 15 yards away. REALLY wishin I had my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by PflugerB0w View Post
                    I am always looking for game tracks/ signs when I'm out on my radio tower sights, plus looking to see if it's able to be hunted on. So, I'm down in Bastrop at a LCRA power plant site and two does were walking across the road in front of me about 15 yards away. REALLY wishin I had my bow.
                    Not a good idea at all!!! LCRA has a strict no-kill policy. They're serious about it too! Just an FYI

Comment

Although my experience out there isn't nearly as extensive as navy's
                      I have chased groups of pigs and had them stop and turn towards me offering me a shot.
                      Also, I have had boars pushed towards me that were running from me ten turn towards me and run at me. Below the dam once I had one "staking" me in the brush as I was stalking a group on the edge of the field
                      Generally in my very little experience out there they run away, early in the season you can wait 30 minutes and they will come back to where they were pushed from. Late season they relocate to different counties.

Comment

I wish they would chase me.....I just spent 25.00 on a small pork loin roast and some spareribs....thats the last time im buying pork....wife told me I had to cook pork bbq tonight....

Comment

I think its safe to say that after you have killed 10 or more pigs out at granger with a bow of any kind that you are pretty knowledgeable about these specific hogs but I also used to chase them three times a week utilizing mountain bike or boat...I have noticed that the strain of white colored and calico colored ones are being killed off...I havent seen any white in a year or so, has anyone else? I am not the "hog whisperer" I think Sneaky might have taken my staff...lol
                          Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 12-17-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I think its safe to say that after you have killed 10 or more pigs out at granger with a bow of any kind that you are pretty knowledgeable about these specific hogs but I also used to chase them three times a week utilizing mountain bike or boat...I have noticed that the strain of white colored and calico colored ones are being killed off...I havent seen any white in a year or so, has anyone else? I am not the "hog whisperer" I think Sneaky might have taken my staff...lol

Last week we chased around a family of 6-7 piglets, two were blond and one calico. A month ago I saw a ~150lb gray/black calico. Most are black or near-black though.

Comment

No......they run or swim.....
                              How in the hell did you jump off your bike, knock an arrow and shoot all at same time haha, seriously though where is a good place take a bike I was thinking about this but the only place I've hunted is the San Gabriel unit and I don't think I would bike through that mess

Comment

Overflow dam, south side has a rd that goes all the way down to the backside of the pecan grove....bunch of high grass on this side and mesquites...also u can park by the comanche bluff trailhead up high by the gate and take your bike all the way to the primative campsite...recommend thorn proof tubes...and a 29er..size bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X