"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXAggie06 View Post
    Congrats Wudstix that will be tough to beat but we're game!

Josef, like wudstix said, if you want some pork you gotta find them. We hike about 7 miles at least each time we go out and have brought home meat every time.
    looks like i'll start wearing my hiking boots instead of my work boots.I know putting all this work into chasing the hog is going to make that first kill,first grilled tenderloin that much better.
    Do yall stalk with a arrow nocked or in the quiver?yeah ,nother question from a green rookie.
    I have been blown away be the help and advice on this forum and especially this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Drahthaar View Post
      As a Granger dove hunter, if they are where I am planning to be, they are some seriously misguided dove hunters :P

Thanks for the heads up, will be on the lookout!
      You'll never know, they might show up and hunt where the doves are. And there are tons of white wings out there just flying from one tree to another.

Comment

Originally posted by josef View Post
        looks like i'll start wearing my hiking boots instead of my work boots.I know putting all this work into chasing the hog is going to make that first kill,first grilled tenderloin that much better.
        Do yall stalk with a arrow nocked or in the quiver?yeah ,nother question from a green rookie.
        I have been blown away be the help and advice on this forum and especially this thread.
        Good footwear and a couple pair of socks. Granger hogs will blast past you at any time. Or jump up in front of you, so bwing ready to draw and shoot is a good idea. Wing shooting for hogs. They sleep at 5 m.p.h.

Comment

Originally posted by josef View Post
          We keep an arrow nocked most of the time cuz you never know when an opportunity will present itself. The only time we quiver it is if we're transitioning from one area to another.

One thing I will mention,

I like to use solid one piece broadheads like G5 Montecs. With all the brush I've lost a couple bhs due to the blades falling off. If you take replaceable bladed bhs check them regularly.

That first kill is so rewarding!

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
            You'll never know, they might show up and hunt where the doves are. And there are tons of white wings out there just flying from one tree to another.
            I don't know what you are talking about. No doves at all at Granger. No hogs either for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by TXAggie06 View Post
              I like to use solid one piece broadheads like G5 Montecs. With all the brush I've lost a couple bhs due to the blades falling off. If you take replaceable bladed bhs check them regularly.
              Do they make those in 160-190 grains???

Comment

Sorry I was assuming compound since that's what I shoot >_<

Comment

I've seen compounds shoot that heavy with impressive results. Just saying, compounds don't need to be shooting ping pong balls when they can still shoot 1.5x faster then a longbow with a cannon ball. Dr. Ashby used compounds in his tests and shot over 1000(a 1 followed by three 0's) grain arrows.

Comment

so this "aim for the lips" thing I'm assuming means "lead them because they're running fast" am i correct?

Comment

Yes. I've seen probably over 40 pigs in my last 2 trips, covered about 13 miles and only had I'd say 3 or so pigs sitting still. The last one ended up on the BBQ due to Carnage's good eye and the other ones got away because I couldn't make heads or tails so I didn't shoot, terrible choice.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
                        911 is the best number to call for situations like that. The com center will handle contacting the game warden, and deputies will be en route in the meantime.
                        Thanks LEO!

Comment

Originally posted by brandondferrier View Post
                          so this "aim for the lips" thing I'm assuming means "lead them because they're running fast" am i correct?
                          Affirmative, I aimed at the front leg and released on the one that sprinted past at eight yards, she hit the afterburner and I hit the ham. Good blood and dead pig, but not what I was "looking' at. Others tried to hit the streaking pig as well. In 14 years I have seen three pigs at less than a fast trot. First year the sow winded me and passed behind me, I was on my knees.(fast walk) Second was pig #2 last year at four yards, don't think she expected me to chase her into the briar patch and froze at 4 yards. Other than that pigs have been stretched out on the move. I am sure they are sponsored by Nike.
                          You cna wait on them but as soon as they know you're there it is NOS and gone.

Comment

do they ever charge and pose a threat?

Comment

First hunt

Hello everyone! I have been lurking around on this forum for a few weeks and took my first hunt yesterday with a few buddies. I have to say thank you for the organization, tips and information etc. on this thread it definitely seems like some good people.

Got to gate 7 yesterday around 3:30PM and headed up towards gate 6. With three rookies in the woods - you could smell the fear of every living animal... Anyway we saw one great big pig but he came right between two of us and the third had a shot a maybe 30-40 yards. Apparently the pigs are not trained at to stop when you are aiming at them - so I would like to know who to talk to about this... We saw maybe two more before the sun set and were back to the primitive boat ramp by dark.

Overall it was awesome - I am sure we made ever mistake in the book, but just seeing a few pigs was great for a first hunt. Can't wait to meet some of you guys and start learning a few things - trying to go out this saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Tourniquet View Post
                                Hello everyone! I have been lurking around on this forum for a few weeks and took my first hunt yesterday with a few buddies. I have to say thank you for the organization, tips and information etc. on this thread it definitely seems like some good people.

Got to gate 7 yesterday around 3:30PM and headed up towards gate 6. With three rookies in the woods - you could smell the fear of every living animal... Anyway we saw one great big pig but he came right between two of us and the third had a shot a maybe 30-40 yards. Apparently the pigs are not trained at to stop when you are aiming at them - so I would like to know who to talk to about this... We saw maybe two more before the sun set and were back to the primitive boat ramp by dark.

Overall it was awesome - I am sure we made ever mistake in the book, but just seeing a few pigs was great for a first hunt. Can't wait to meet some of you guys and start learning a few things - trying to go out this saturday.
                                You will hear "Aim for the lips" quite often around here. Most of the shots you will get at Granger will be running shots.

Comment

Working...
                                X