"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of the ticks!!!

Just got back from dove hunting Pecan Grove below the dam today. I found a tick buried in the palm of my right hand when I got to the campsite. That was Friday night and now (Sunday afternoon) all the glands in my arm are swollen, my hand is so swollen it feels like a balloon and the bite site is a black blister the size of a penny. No urgent care clinics are open today and the ER didn't even have an open seat in the waiting room so I won't be seeing a doctor until tomorrow. I made this account just to warn others not to do what I did. Don't burn the tick to death before removal, it will regurgiate your blood and its bacteria into your blood stream. Apparently, the proper way to remove it is simply pulling it with tweezers (although this didn't work for me). Bring bug repellant and spray at the cuffs of your pants and shirt. They're bad out there right now from the rain. I found about four on my dog (not yet buried in the skin.)

BTW, saw lots of hog prints as well as deer prints. There were a few wallows made on the trail as well as rooting holes. Didn't see any hogs but did see four seperate herds of does.

Comment

So are you hunting at night,with a gun. and on Granger land Gbeard?
      Do you work out there or something or just own land that backs up to it?

Comment

private land all around it
        Last edited by gbeard; 09-28-2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Then it should be easy. Just put up a few feeders and trail cams.

Comment

It is really easy (like shooting fish in a barrel). I've killed about 50 or 60 this year so far. Just couldn't seem run into them the last few times. I've got a new pack starting to come to one of of my feeders that I am going to try and bust this weekend.
            Last edited by gbeard; 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM.

Comment

is there a website to get to info about this place. where do you go to get the liscence and all that fun stuff? i have just been hunting out on Corp land around lavon. always looking to find a new place to go

Comment

[QUOTE=Reaper33;1870274]is there a website to get to info about this place. where do you go to get the liscence and all that fun stuff? i have just been hunting out on Corp land around lavon. always looking to find a new place to go[/Q

I would assume the TPW website or possibly the Granger Lake website. Someone on here is bound to know.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHogHunter1 View Post
                  Apparently, the proper way to remove it is simply pulling it with tweezers (although this didn't work for me). Bring bug repellant and spray at the cuffs of your pants and shirt. They're bad out there right now from the rain. I found about four on my dog (not yet buried in the skin.)
                  We are well aware of ticks around in Granger WMA. They usually sit on the branches on the end, where deers and humans walk by, they fall off on the bodies and hunt for exposed skins. I felt them twice on back of my neck. It felt so weird then I slapped it and grabbed it and checked what it was. Tick! Killed it with knife on my fingernail. After that, before I leave the WMA, I check all of my clothes except my pants for ticks, found them really easy and killed them. I have to inspect them every time because I have 3 dogs at home. Don't want to give ticks free ride to my home. It happened once when I drove to my work and sit in truck for the lunch break. The tick actually climbed up to my "ceiling" of my truck and fell on my neck! I felt strange drop and grabbed it. Another tick! *commited murder on tick*

Comment

haha I know that feeling ticks give me the creeps!! Little bug that can give you lyme disease.. Well I'll be wearing some OFF tomorrow and long sleeves hope that helps. If anyone is out there tomorrow let me know I'm gonna do some spot and stalking for hogs...Anyone know a place the hogs are usually at?

Comment

I was out at Granger today. Hunted the area between gate 6 and 7. Saw a lot of sign but no hogs. Found a great spot and when I stopped to get a drink a nice 6-8point buck walked right where I had just passed and was only 15 yrds away!!! Too bad it wasn't deer season and in a WMA that allows deer hunts. That was the highlight of my day. The buck didn't even care that I was there. He just walked on by...Oh and 4 ticks total found on my waist..little *******s!

Comment

hey guys I have a question about the dam. How far back are ya'll going before you start to see any hogs or sign? It seems like you have to walk a ways before there's any heavy cover.

Comment

Last week I saw where a hog was rooting at the foot of the dam. This was likely done during the night, but not far in at all. That was the only fresh sign I saw out there and it appeared to be from just one animal.

Comment

SOunds like withj all of the pressure they are hitting the spot hard at night time. Best bet is to catch them in the late afternoon! Good luck to all of you!

Comment

Originally posted by diamondstud254 View Post
                              hey guys I have a question about the dam. How far back are ya'll going before you start to see any hogs or sign? It seems like you have to walk a ways before there's any heavy cover.
                              They'll come right out on the spillway for a drink and splash around.

One time we watched a huge sounder for about 20 minutes as they played in the water.

We were dove hunting that day.

Sometimes your there when it happens, sometimes you have to slow walky stalky to find them.

Comment

Plenty of fishermen report hog sightings near checkpoint II and III, which are not a long walk from the parking area. Otherwise, get yourself a cheap used mountain-bike. That will really shrink the time spent walking to the area you want to hunt.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by NightStalker; 10-04-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X