No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year round there are some closures due to draw hunts but check the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
      That aint right.....

So this weekend it is going to rainy, cold, and nasty. Who else wants to go camp and hunt all weekend?
      Now THAT is funny right thar - get yer mind out of the...well, NOW I know why the moniker "Dirtymike" .... Wudstix, I'd share a ride for sure, but I'm mostly a day hunter (drive up to get at my hunting spot before first legal shooting light allowing time to hike into a productive area, hunt 'til dark, drive home with or without smelly critter in the back of the truck)...my problem is actually getting more than one free day at a time between all I have going on ...

I'm going to try like heck to get a day out there sans rain before freakin' Christmas to bowhunt - for the life of me I haven't found a fool proof way to keep my feathers from turning to mush in anything more than a light misting rain..and that does a number on them too brushing them up against dew covered vegetation even softens them up significantly for cryin' out loud!

Comment

DM, as I typed my previous comment I thought, "There will be somebody make a commet." You did not disappoint.

ID TB; If I am going to make the 2 1/2 hour drive I am going to spend the weekend. Definitely need to plan my trips as well.

Comment

I am headed to Granger to hunt and camp the primitive area. Will/is any one else out there or going out this weekend???

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
              DM, as I typed my previous comment I thought, "There will be somebody make a commet." You did not disappoint.

ID TB; If I am going to make the 2 1/2 hour drive I am going to spend the weekend. Definitely need to plan my trips as well.
              Hear ya Wud, it's just tough gettingthe time...gonna take a stab at that deer season over at Somerville before it closes, and then I'm gonna be hittin' Granger again for porkage after the 1st I suppose. Is it true they fenced of the area between the springs/duck pond and the private land just West of Comanche Bluffs like I had heard tell of months back? And is there ANY water seeping up out of the ground over there anymore in that same area? Have the recent rains helped any?

Comment

They re-did the fenceline on the PC side of the WMA also cut a nice wide clear swath along the fence. There were springs around the Duck Pond, if you mean the one out in the field behind PC. Like to hunt just below the RR bridge on PC side. Have not been in there since about April.

Comment

Hogkiller called and said he drew F today. Wish I could have made it today. He'll post up his kills.

Comment

Hey, Wud...sounds like it might be just fine out there after all, BUT...that fence has me concerned, not because I want to go hunt private land where I'm not supposed to , but I remember hearing somewhere that it was going to be some kind of fencing that the hogs couldn't circumnavigate (as in it would cut them off from crisscrossing between the ponds/springs/wallows/thick stuff on the COE land, and their haunts out on the adjacent private land)...I loved to ambush porky and friends when they were scooting under the fencing enroute down the hill towrads the water/bedding areas after a night's fun in the fields (not that that would be an issue this time of year though - I suppose...) so, might you or anyone else on here know...IS the fence impassable, or can they still get through it to continue on with their old ways I guess, is what I'm after

Comment

GRXH dates and thread is up!!

Comment

There are already crossing under the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          How did it go?
                          Man! It was CRAZY!!! There was sooooooo many people out. Bird watchers, back packer, duck hunters, some old dude on a 1983 Schwinn.

We took two juvies. We had to go almost to the lake to get on anything. They were hunkered down on the north side of the dry creek about 200 yards NE of the "mudflats".

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
                            Hey, Wud...sounds like it might be just fine out there after all, BUT...that fence has me concerned, not because I want to go hunt private land where I'm not supposed to , but I remember hearing somewhere that it was going to be some kind of fencing that the hogs couldn't circumnavigate (as in it would cut them off from crisscrossing between the ponds/springs/wallows/thick stuff on the COE land, and their haunts out on the adjacent private land)...I loved to ambush porky and friends when they were scooting under the fencing enroute down the hill towrads the water/bedding areas after a night's fun in the fields (not that that would be an issue this time of year though - I suppose...) so, might you or anyone else on here know...IS the fence impassable, or can they still get through it to continue on with their old ways I guess, is what I'm after
                            Naw, they are more than able to get under that fence. Several big wholes already. They still cross on the same spring that ran under the fence prior.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for that good intel Wud and Smooth (somthin' didn't sound quite right there ...I guess I'd better use full names in the future ) ...I am now officially happy about the prospects of hunting my old haunt(s) again! Y'all just made my day/week/month/year as far as Granger Hog huntin' is concerned! Will be callin' on 'ol Porky & Friends pretty soon now

Comment

My handle comes from hunting with Longbow and wood arrows. Put the wood to 'em as it were. The clearing for the fenceline actually cleared out some of the nasty thick along the private boundary. Above the bluffs is still good as ever.

Guess I nominated myself as the OFFICIAL HEAD COUNTER for GRXH. Come on down it is always a grande weekend. One rule, don't bring anything to eat. Drink yes, but eat no.
                                Last edited by Wudstix; 12-17-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X