"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
    Id also have to say considering you joined this morning and decided to make the post above your first post on TBH, you arent gunna make many friends around here.
    Agreed with both post..

Comment

Originally posted by Austinhunter30 View Post
      hey all .. got my AHP and will be givin granger a try this afternoon. can anyone recommend any spots? Im not much of a bow guy, so ill have to pack in my 30 30 and stay clear of the game warden.

I will give a report of where i went and what i saw. Hope there are some pigs still left out there for me!
      I sure hope you're a troll...

Comment

The "eyes" of Texas are upon you...

Hey gang. Just in case some of you don't have your thinkin' caps on lately...

1) Recently there was a fair amount of publicity generated by the helishootin' at the birdiewatcher's golden a**ed wobbler preserve Northeast of tree huggin' lefty-ville Austin(Balcones?) or whatever the name was....made the papers, all over the 'net, got some widespread press and wouldn't ya know...the attention was drawn also to GRANGER due to the same company being used during the same flight period for the infamous helishootin' festival undertaken by our Feral Government (feds) to appease private landowners who most likely vote/donate in their "direction" (left/right) if you get my drift...

2) Some people who *may have noticed* this media outing of these bloody helimassacres could be activist anti-hunting types, possibly federal or state enforcement types, or folks in general against our legal/ethical hunting pursuits in addition to political idiots who are animal rights activists, greenies, anarchists, anti-gun...

3) Recently on this forum I have noticed posts which attempt to draw ANY kind of negative and misleading attention of authorities who may be monitoring these boards to hunters and their activities towards us which have included "teacher, teacher look ...Johnny and his friends aren't wearing teir ORANGE outfits, OH MY..." ....or, "hey guys, I'm just like y'all are ya' know ....gonna sorta not follow the law and go out there with ma redneck thutty thutty them thar y'all ...just like y'all do right guys? ".... most of these kinds of comments appear to come from newbs who just signed up to post shortly after all the recent hellikillin' publicity put upon us by our "enlightened/progressive" Feral Government bless their bleedin' hearts

4) Moral to the story (my post/rant): BE CAREFUL FELLOW HUNTERS/CONSERVATIONISTS!!! The "eyes" of Texas (most likely not even Texans) might just be upon you... as you hunt at Granger WMA or post on these boards. Food for thought. Trolling for something they can use against us legal/ethical hunters to take away our hunting rights, or gun rights. Personally I would not even respond to these trolls, but I appreciate the reponses of my fellow hunters which have VERY appropriate so far (thanks guys). WE all need to be observant not give these nutcases a freakin' inch!

5) It is not US ethical conservation minded hunters but our out of touch Feral Government which has engaged in unethical activities re guns/firearms/animals/shooting leaving a wake of destruction and agony of wounded animals, wasted animals, unweaned and now motherless animals during a brutal cold snap on top of it all....let these activists focus on THEM not us. Don't give 'em any cause to target our group of decent, hard working, law abiding, moral/ethical hunters! I can gurantee you the feds (at the HQ offices) will try to deflect attention from their actions (and their political bedfellow landowner's demands) in dealing with any "activists" and redirect them towards US, the ethical responsible hunters. Allow them nothing.

Warning concluded...or maybe more appropriately rant over ...

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
          yeah watching ur step and listening for rattles...
          B I N G O Crod!!! And do NOT forget the cottonmouths/moccasins either...

Comment

I was wanting to ask a question, if it has ever been brought up or asked about before. Could there be any possible solution to gettting items into the woods ? Example: Corn, feeders, etc... I am personally physically tired of carrying 300 lbs. of corn down 2 miles. I know there is a truck trail through there that appears well traveled. Is there a fee that can be paid to have it dropped down further ? As the rounds are being made. I would just seem helpful to all of us if we could get stuff in. A one day per month access maybe ?. I know if people were allowed to drive it would get torn up im sure. The company i work for has a sheet metal shop .They are working on making a wagon, dolly, trailer, type thing that will hook to my bikes, but still is brutal to get that far down.

Comment

Originally posted by Austinhunter30 View Post
              hey all .. got my AHP and will be givin granger a try this afternoon. can anyone recommend any spots? Im not much of a bow guy, so ill have to pack in my 30 30 and stay clear of the game warden.

I will give a report of where i went and what i saw. Hope there are some pigs still left out there for me!
              Are you F'ing retarded??

I hope someone sees you out there...or i do. Id drop kick you, take your piece, and then call cowboy Johnny in. LoL

No but seriously, its not safe, not allowed, and obviously not your area so dont mess it up for others.

Comment

He may be the guy that started a fire out there a little while ago

Comment

Team Me: Read the list of 'Prohibited Acts' on Corps Land. Moterized vehicles are prohibited on Granger WMA, period. (unless you are part of the draw hunts). The good trail network you saw is the result of the draw hunts, where trucks drive out and drop off and pick-up the hunters, (guess part of that $75 fee goes to keep the trails mowed). That said, my experience was that pipe-feeders were a waste of time/money. The piggies are too smart. They never come to the feeders during legal hours. But 30 minutes after legal hours, they will at your feeder, cleaning it out.

Comment

What NightStalker said. Gbeard what part of the corp land was a fire started in? Do you know how much was burned?

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                      Team Me: Read the list of 'Prohibited Acts' on Corps Land. Moterized vehicles are prohibited on Granger WMA, period. (unless you are part of the draw hunts). The good trail network you saw is the result of the draw hunts, where trucks drive out and drop off and pick-up the hunters, (guess part of that $75 fee goes to keep the trails mowed). That said, my experience was that pipe-feeders were a waste of time/money. The piggies are too smart. They never come to the feeders during legal hours. But 30 minutes after legal hours, they will at your feeder, cleaning it out.
                      Ditto..and I must add that hiking in on those roads they keep mowed allows one to make much better time hiking back in to hunt and much easier draggin' the hog back out with ya after you get one. I dunno, but I wouldn't bother wasting all that energy on humpin' that much stuff back in there...once you get around in there a bit, after awhile you will get a fix on the hogs food/water/shelter areas, and habits you can find them still/spot & stalk on the ground...just be savvy to wind direction and noise above all and you'll be fine

Comment

Luckily my awesome girlfriend helps me with a dolly and a cage we made in the shop, with the feed. It's in the wrong spot anyway. I just feeding the deer it seems. lol I notice fresh truck tracks sometimes. I saw new ones just thursday. I assumed somebody drove through there often to check the place.
                        Last edited by Team me; 02-12-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                          What NightStalker said. Gbeard what part of the corp land was a fire started in? Do you know how much was burned?
                          We fought a grass/brush fire behind the water treatment plant. Approx 3.5 acres on fire when we arived on scene. We were able to knock out the rear, left flank, and head pretty easily but the right flank burned off into the thick brush. We had to extinguish it with hand tools. All in all about 5 acres burned I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
                            We fought a grass/brush fire behind the water treatment plant. Approx 3.5 acres on fire when we arived on scene. We were able to knock out the rear, left flank, and head pretty easily but the right flank burned off into the thick brush. We had to extinguish it with hand tools. All in all about 5 acres burned I guess.
                            Nice job, those grass fires can quickly become a pain in the rear! Sounds like yall got yalls stuff together out there.

Comment

We were just lucky and there wasn't much wind. Had 3 more after that.

Comment

Went out in the afternoon but didnt see much movin around. Heard some movement in the weeds but never could see what it was. Maybe next time.

There are plenty of WMAs which allow rifle hunting. How is hunting in those any different than Granger? Its not like those are unsafe - thats why blaze orange is required. There is no way anyone will hit you if your wearing it. It scares me to read that there are folks out there without it (having to be asked to put it on by other hunters) and makes me feel unsafe.

Im sorry I am not making many friends on here, I enjoy hunting just like the rest of you but am just not into bows. If it makes everyone feel better ill leave the rifle at home and just use the shotty with slugs. I cant believe someone even said it was me starting fires.

Comment

Working...
                                X