"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team me View Post
    Sorry, I took that the wrong way. Some guy stopped this weekend and while I was loading my gear and stuff and told me it was required. I told him to find something else to worry about. I wear mine 90% of the time.

The reason is safety, 90% doesn't cut it.

If someone gets hurt because they were not following the safety rules, how long do you think it will take TP&W to close hunting at Granger?

You are risking all of our hunting rights.

Comment

Originally posted by sonny6 View Post

If someone gets hurt because they were not following the safety rules, how long do you think it will take TP&W to close hunting at Granger?

The other 10% was meant when im switching clothes or gear, or not left the parking lot yet. That was when the guy stopped to tell me about it. I won't publicly advertise how many people do or dont wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by sonny6 View Post

guys toting shotguns hunting squirrels and dove are NOT required to wear hunter orange,now how does that count as "safty"i personally dont agree about having to were orange while bow hunting,i dont care what people say,those pigs can see the orange

Comment

Some orange on you does not hurt, there are a bunch of folks out all over Granger, and walking around in the dark with out color can lead to nasty things happening. At least a hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
            Some orange on you does not hurt, there are a bunch of folks out all over Granger, and walking around in the dark with out color can lead to nasty things happening. At least a hat.
            lol

Comment

.... or an orange strip around your hat. How is #6 after the Helo shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by Hopper View Post
                MAn! that sucks!
                I dont know why it bothers me so much but **** it really gets under my skin. I mean our state is facing a huge deficit this year, we're talking about closing schools in Austin, and yet they can afford to pay these guys to come in and just fly around shooting hogs!? Especially when they are not even going to harvest the meat for the community.
                Heres an idea, why not open them hunting hours (or halfs) up for archery? why not give us a better chance at thining them out. If the local farmers are having such a problem maybe they should be open to the idea of us hunting thier land rather than waisting our tax dollars, our food, and our CONSTRUCTIVE quality time with our kids!
                Surely this could be brought to someones attention. Im sure we could get a pretty lengthy petition going on here.
                They are doing the same thing in Balcones, yet they no longer allow archery hunts there for the hogs....why not!? when I asked they lady at the Balcones station she wasnt even really sure why it wasn't allowed.
                This is our State, These are our parks/reserves, These are our tax dollars & permit fees, talk about transparency ...who owns they company that is contracted for the hunts? what ties do they have to who? I personally feel that these issues should be pushed until someone with decisive authority has answers or makes a change.

Sorry for the rant....Sh*ts just annoying
                I hear you Hopper!!!

Mr. Bubbas Bulletman,
                Thanks for sharing your map and all of your time scouting to help those of us out that lack your experience or time at Granger!!!

Sincerely,
                Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by huntnfishtex View Post
                  He might have been misinformed then I stopped and talked to him the day of the shoot and that's what he told me. The truck he was in had park ranger on the side I'm pretty sure so just assumed he was a park ranger. Did they fly yalls land this year? It looked like they stayed mostly on the WMA but its kinda hard to tell.

You got a treat then because you met Johnny Cathey and his dog! The dog name escapes me but he loves Johnny. That's his daddy.

Johnny is the TPWD tech for Granger WMA. He's been there since it opened as far as I know.

He told me the same thing about the private owners and the $250. I know last year on our place the funds came from a grant. We were never asked for money. I don't think the funds were available this year.

This is a WILD guess but it's possible that the funds for flight time at Granger wasn't available this year also and an executive decision was made that they couldn't get the cash to fly from landowners.

I'd contact John C. with US fish and wildlife Services? if you want the particulars.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                    .... or an orange strip around your hat. How is #6 after the Helo shoot?
                    Little slow on Sunday.makes me a little sick that I probably chased some of those pigs over to taylor park.still piggless this year and the helo got137

Comment

The islands might be good cause they're harder to get to. Maybe the pigs willbe pushed there from the area's around. We'll see if I can get my baby canoe floating.

Comment

I feel for you guys. I hunted out there last year and this year for the first time in quite a while and the swine were not nearly as plentiful as they used to be. Back in the early 90's when they first opened it up for hog hunting the hogs were so thick you literally couldn't walk a couple hundred yards without busting them out of the bloodweeds. They were everywhere and it was great. Between the surrounding landowners trapping/shooting them, arial assults on them once a year, and public hunting, the population is somewhat under control now. That being said there's still a good amount of them there. They're not impossible to kill but those suckers are smart.
                        There's a great little pocket of pecan bottom right next to the hwy 29 bridge that's holding a lot of them right now. If you look at an arial photograph it's on the North side of the San Gabriel. Go get you some.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                          There's a great little pocket of pecan bottom right next to the hwy 29 bridge that's holding a lot of them right now. If you look at an arial photograph it's on the North side of the San Gabriel. Go get you some.
                          uhhhh am i the only one confussed by those directions? the bottom right of pecan....ok next to the hwy 29 bridgehuh.....northside of san gabrielWhat the?!?! sorry but maybe im reading it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                            uhhhh am i the only one confussed by those directions? the bottom right of pecan....ok next to the hwy 29 bridgehuh.....northside of san gabrielWhat the?!?! sorry but maybe im reading it wrong.
                            lol You're thinking of PECAN GROVE which is below the dam. I'm talking about the PECAN BOTTOM that's immediately downstream of the HWY 29 and HWY 95 bridge on the North side of the river. The railroad tracks go through it. Sorry for the confusion.
                            Last edited by Montec man; 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

i dont see much water when crossing the bridge, is the water low enough to cross from gate 9 to the north side?

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                                i dont see much water when crossing the bridge, is the water low enough to cross from gate 9 to the north side?
                                Yes, there are a few places you can cross in tall boots without getting wet. We used to walk across on the train tracks/bridge until we found out that was dangerous. Lot of train traffic through that area. It's not a real large spot, but it doesn't get hit hard by foot traffic until spring when all the white bass anglers descend on the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X