Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jen View Post
    This is the first time I’ve been. May try to go back next weekend if it’s not raining too too bad (I’m only an hour and 45 min away). Yes keep us all posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going to try and go out next weekend also . I wished I had a tripod .My saddle was useless out there . I’m so used to tall trees . I’m glad that I didn’t have to keep driving on some of those roads. It was close for me at times also.

Comment

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
      I saw a few deer, think I might have it figured out. We shall see tomorrow and the rest of the week!
      [emoji48][emoji41][emoji120]

Good luck ,valla con dios amigo. Keep us posted . I hope you get bullwinkle !

Comment

I spent all day Friday searching and scouting for some dry higher ground and i only found one area that was large enough to hold some deer. I had to hike over a mile, 1/2 of which was through shin deep water. Saturday I stayed out all day and only saw a hog but did find some fresh deer tracks which with the rain is a good sign. Today I hunted another area bc of the rain but I’m going back to the dry area tomorrow. When I left on Saturday i was the last hunter leaving and at the main building in the front was a few does and a very nice 10 pt. Probably 135bc i tried to take a pic but it’s horrible. Ultimately this hunt has been tough and it’s hard to find places with all the water. I’m sticking it out until Friday so we’ll see what happens.

Comment

Anybody going to be out there during the week? I'm coming in tomorrow night and plan to hunt Tues/Wed for sure and possibly Thursday.

Comment

I planning on coming back tomorrow and maybe staying the rest of the week.

Comment

Sunday
              86 hunters yielded a whopping 1 hog.

There's still hope.

FYI, you are NOT allowed to kill mosquitos on the refuge. They are protected. If one flys in your mouth, you've broken the law!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Got camp set up at hoppers thursday evening (the big green tent). Went out scouting early friday, got out of the truck armed with two thermocells (left one on my hip, ended up hanging the other on my neck) and covered in deep woods off. Walked out 40yds only to walk back to the trucks to spray down with even more off.
                Found a good tripod set in a fairly dry area along a ridge early in the morning. Hog and deer tracks all over. Spent the next 7 hours or so trying to find a good tree for a lock on but there were very few trees large enough and the one that did look promising were already flagged.
                Stayed in camp saturday morning after a pretty good **** floater came in. Went out saturday evening saw a bobcat come through a couple of times making his rounds.
                Sunday morning saw the bob cat again, then around 10 had a big sow come in, flung a stick over her back,had her on my 50 pin after she walked on out ranged her to be closer to 40. At lunchtime got down to retrieve my arrow from a clump of grass only tho have a cotton mouth warn me that he was willing to fight me for it, he won this round. Done some fishing at hoppers with the family sunday evening fish were biting good and my wife and son both were able to pull in some keepers for dinner.
                Family left out this morning so its going to be morning and evening hunts everyday until the end with some all day sits on overcast days.
                This will be a tough one. I don't believe the refuge has us out here to bring in any game, think its just a clever ploy to feed the mosquito population. If you come out make sure to spay clothing and gear down with sawyers and bring thermocells.
                The live oak thickets are so thick it wouldn't surprise me to see a jack rabbit having a hard time getting in them.
                In the areas where water is not over your ankle its over your calf. It is a tough hunt and more than anything else one that you have to be mentally ready for. Good luck everyone!

Comment

It was great meeting you Leo, see you on the next one!

Comment

I’m taking today off. Then I will be hunting Tuesday evening, all day Wednesday, all day Thursday and Friday evening. Im still confident that I’m gonna make that board! [emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by Slim79x View Post
                      Anybody going to be out there during the week? I'm coming in tomorrow night and plan to hunt Tues/Wed for sure and possibly Thursday.
                      Slim, the roads are bad. Too deep for a car. The first road in had a couple spots where you will not make it passed due to water depth alone

Comment

Had my second encounter with a crossbow hunters on the refuge. First one 2yrs ago warned that with his scoped crossbow he could still see shoot hogs before and after legal shooting time and that I'd better be careful. The one last sunday at 1:00pm said he'd been scouting all morning and couldn't find a good spot. And "that tree over there looks like a good spot, I see the flagging but there's nobody park here right now...." off he went. Had his crossbow strapped to his back cocked and locked with a hunting arrow. FUBAR

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                          Slim, the roads are bad. Too deep for a car. The first road in had a couple spots where you will not make it passed due to water depth alone

Yeah I was kind of worried in my 2wd truck

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                            Had my second encounter with a crossbow hunters on the refuge. First one 2yrs ago warned that with his scoped crossbow he could still see shoot hogs before and after legal shooting time and that I'd better be careful. The one last sunday at 1:00pm said he'd been scouting all morning and couldn't find a good spot. And "that tree over there looks like a good spot, I see the flagging but there's nobody park here right now...." off he went. Had his crossbow strapped to his back cocked and locked with a hunting arrow.
                            FUBAR

He is the one who got the Dow I think.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                              Sunday
                              86 hunters yielded a whopping 1 hog.

There's still hope.

FYI, you are NOT allowed to kill mosquitos on the refuge. They are protected. If one flys in your mouth, you've broken the law!

Lol , I broke that one at least three times.

Comment

Fish

Originally posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
                                Got camp set up at hoppers thursday evening (the big green tent). Went out scouting early friday, got out of the truck armed with two thermocells (left one on my hip, ended up hanging the other on my neck) and covered in deep woods off. Walked out 40yds only to walk back to the trucks to spray down with even more off.
                                Found a good tripod set in a fairly dry area along a ridge early in the morning. Hog and deer tracks all over. Spent the next 7 hours or so trying to find a good tree for a lock on but there were very few trees large enough and the one that did look promising were already flagged.
                                Stayed in camp saturday morning after a pretty good **** floater came in. Went out saturday evening saw a bobcat come through a couple of times making his rounds.
                                Sunday morning saw the bob cat again, then around 10 had a big sow come in, flung a stick over her back,had her on my 50 pin after she walked on out ranged her to be closer to 40. At lunchtime got down to retrieve my arrow from a clump of grass only tho have a cotton mouth warn me that he was willing to fight me for it, he won this round. Done some fishing at hoppers with the family sunday evening fish were biting good and my wife and son both were able to pull in some keepers for dinner.
                                Family left out this morning so its going to be morning and evening hunts everyday until the end with some all day sits on overcast days.
                                This will be a tough one. I don't believe the refuge has us out here to bring in any game, think its just a clever ploy to feed the mosquito population. If you come out make sure to spay clothing and gear down with sawyers and bring thermocells.
                                The live oak thickets are so thick it wouldn't surprise me to see a jack rabbit having a hard time getting in them.
                                In the areas where water is not over your ankle its over your calf. It is a tough hunt and more than anything else one that you have to be mentally ready for. Good luck everyone!
                                Hank , we left to soon then . Fish dinner ! I’m happy to hear that . I’ll be fishing down there for sure . Keep up the fight brother.

Comment

Working...
                                X