Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L C View Post
    Can someone please post an update of the harvest count and # of hunters?
    Saturday
    126 Hunters
    1 Doe
    1 Hog

I'm not good at math but thats about a 99.9% rate of failure [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post

Well, saw lots plenty of deer at the entrance and some turkeys (too bad we couldn’t shoot those) but yeah I had enough of the snakes, skeeters, and flooded roads. Came home and got a hog in the backyard! Good luck everyone that’s still out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Well, dang I think there were alot of TBH'ers looking forward to meeting you. Ahem, Le Oh you know what else...
      I've seen 2 cotton mouths and a gator so far. Congrats on the hog. Cool back yard

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
        Well, dang I think there were alot of TBH'ers looking forward to meeting you. Ahem, Le Oh you know what else...
        I've seen 2 cotton mouths and a gator so far. Congrats on the hog. Cool back yard

Haha I was looking forward to meeting y’all too! And thank you! Be safe!

Comment

Saturday
          126 Hunters
          1 Doe
          1 Hog

I'm not good at math but thats about a 99.9% rate of failure [emoji38]

Now I really don’t feel bad for not going back 🤣

Comment

Now I really don’t feel bad for not going back [emoji1787]

You sure? I'll drop you a pin.....

Comment

You sure? I'll drop you a pin.....

Aw dang!!!

Comment

I was out there Thursday set up camp at Hoppers Landing great folks. Then I scouted Friday. It was hard to say the least ,respect for Aransas. I didn’t find any rubs, but I found some deer sign .most of the sign was washed out .it started to rain heavy ,Friday night The ,mosquitoes were thick.I saw deer at the entrance . Also the rest of Saturday was a wash . There were a lot of acorns but not many of them had been not feed upon by the deer . That worried me . The acorns were brown and they were everywhere .Most of the places on the water and when you can get to some spots where you think you might be able to hunt you weren’t able to trim any lanes. A lot of guys were getting stuck also a lot. Your best bet is a tripod out there for sure there is no other way when it’s full of water like that. It’s concerning when you cover so much of Aransas you can in one day and found no real promising Deer sign that was still available.We didn’t stop seeing hogs but I want deer. Found a place to set up my blind to stay out of the rain keep the bugs out but the grass was so tall I doubted that I had any room for mistakes with grass in the way deer ,being so small .what I saw were tiny deer. I pushed till around lunchtime Saturday and saw two guys stuck on the same road same day a lot of water moccasins and the check out box for folks leaving was almost full after that morning hunt . I would hunt places like this at home because they were near me .I would never pay to hunt this. I feel sorry for the local Hunters that have been hunting it for years losing the place to the draw system and doubling the fee, wow that’s really bad . I’m pretty sure that the hurricane really did impact the deer population negatively.The best part about this hunt was being in the gulf meeting really good folks ,brother and sister bow hunters the camaraderie and making new friends. I will be returning to Hoppers Landing for fishing opportunities and camping. I believe that Aransas will rebound with the deer population but it might take a while. They had a hard time filling the place and no time at all to clear it out Saturday . I’m so glad I ran into Thumper ! What a great soul and years of knowledge . I met Hank ,and his family from this forum and Buddy from Houston.
                Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-30-2018, 06:14 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

Comment

Well, saw lots plenty of deer at the entrance and some turkeys (too bad we couldn’t shoot those) but yeah I had enough of the snakes, skeeters, and flooded roads. Came home and got a hog in the backyard! Good luck everyone that’s still out there!

Yee haw ! Nice hog . I’m so happy that you scored . Your one tuff gal to stick it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
                    Yee haw ! Nice hog . I’m so happy that you scored . Your one tuff gal to stick it out there.

Glad you at least met some good people out of the deal. Yeah I almost got my truck stuck twice, that was enough for me lol. And thank you, the hog made it all better!

Comment

I figured as much

Now I really don’t feel bad for not going back 🤣

Yepper , it was pretty dang full Friday and by sat afternoon it was dramatic to see how many folks left. I saw a really nice buck at the posted closed to hunting area .it was a nice young eight we called it the pet buck.

Comment

For sure

Glad you at least met some good people out of the deal. Yeah I almost got my truck stuck twice, that was enough for me lol. And thank you, the hog made it all better!

I would have like to of met you . I’m sure through the season we might . I’m going keep up the fight and keep y’all posted. How long have you been bow hunting at Aransas?

Comment

Just now 14 yards

Brother that’s what I saw little deer and a nice buck at the ballpin hammer feild.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
                            I would have like to of met you . I’m sure through the season we might . I’m going keep up the fight and keep y’all posted. How long have you been bow hunting at Aransas?

This is the first time I’ve been. May try to go back next weekend if it’s not raining too too bad (I’m only an hour and 45 min away). Yes keep us all posted!

Comment

Its going to a pretty tuff year hunting Aransas this year with all the rain and mosquitoes. Roads are washing out and hunters are getting stuck, and its costing $400 to $450 to get pulled out. Refuge is no longer allowed to help pull someone out.

I not feeling good so i left today around 2pm and plan on heading back Wed or thur.

Did not see any deer or hogs in the hunting section, just a few snakes and this guy.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Thumper; 09-30-2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

That’s a good looking gator

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                                Its going to a pretty tuff year hunting Aransas this year with all the rain and mosquitoes. Roads are washing out and hunters are getting stuck, and its costing $400 to $450 to get pulled out. Refuge is no longer allowed to help pull someone out.

I not feeling good so i left today around 2pm and the refuge, plan on heading back Wed or thur.

Did not see any deer or hogs in the hunting section, just a few snakes and this guy.
                                I’m going to put in for gator next year thumper . I like them fried or bar b qued .i hope you feel better . That weather was pretty dang nautical.no deer spotted either brother.

Comment

Working...
                                X