2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    I have hunted Choke North Shore. Not sure you guys are really missing out on anything.

The land owners to the north feed their place HEAVILY prior to the hunt and draw many of the deer off the WMA. I did shot a pig on our hunt, but was the only one to draw blood. Only 3 deer were seen the entire hunt on the whole place, and of course, all were way outside of bow range.
    I've heard the same thing but it's one of those you can't kill them from the couch things IMO.

Comment

Just looked at my email and I was drawn for an archery deer hunt at Matador Wma. I went online and paid for the permit already also.

Comment

Yes!!!! My group and myself got drawn for Richland Creek archery either sex! First time at Richland. I have hunted Gus a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
          **** Tpwd.
          I feel the same way. Finally after 5 yrs I get drawn for something. Then 6 hours later I get withdrawn from it. I'm so freaking PO'd right now.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWayne86 View Post
            Just looked at my email and I was drawn for an archery deer hunt at Matador Wma. I went online and paid for the permit already also.
            ...****...be prepared for the toughest hunt there. WASTED 8 pref points to go there in 2015. Never saw an actual wt in my compartment, and humped MILES just hoping to stir one up. Heard a couple blow and bound away through the cover, but never even laid eyeballs on 'em. Saw lots of turkey and quail, though. Coyotes OVERRUN that place, with the approval of the manager, apparently. Will never go there again. Was glad I had earplugs for sleeping in the campground, they kayaiiiad all night long, seemingly within 100 yards of the campground.
            Last edited by gonzotexan; 08-16-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              I have hunted Choke North Shore. Not sure you guys are really missing out on anything.

The land owners to the north feed their place HEAVILY prior to the hunt and draw many of the deer off the WMA. I did shot a pig on our hunt, but was the only one to draw blood. Only 3 deer were seen the entire hunt on the whole place, and of course, all were way outside of bow range.
              ...Thanks for the heads-up. Like to try to get hunts close to me.....but wanna know what kind of hunt I am in for......

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                ...****...be prepared for the toughest hunt there. WASTED 8 pref points to go there in 2015. Never saw an actual wt in my compartment, and humped MILES just hoping to stir one up. Heard a couple blow and bound away through the cover, but never even laid eyeballs on 'em. Saw lots of turkey and quail, though. Coyotes OVERRUN that place, with the approval of the manager, apparently. Will never go there again. Was glad I had earplugs for sleeping in the campground, they kayaiiiad all night lo
                ng, seemingly within 100 yards of the campground.
                I appreciate the heads up. This will be the 2nd time I’m fortunate enough to hunt Matador. I was there in 2016 and saw 2 big shooters a few small bucks and a couple of does. Some reason never saw a coyote or pig.
                Last edited by JohnWayne86; 08-16-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWayne86 View Post
                  I appreciate the heads up. This will be the 2nd time I’m fortunate enough to hunt Matador. I was there in 2016 and saw 2 big shooters a few small bucks and a couple of does. Some reason never saw a coyote or pig.
                  Actually was the second time in my life, I had ever seen a daylight coyote on a hunt. Maybe (hopefully) mine was a fluke. But alot of the old-timers there for the hunt, were really lamenting 'the-good-ole-days', there, back in the 90's. Def sending you good wishes, and a "get them for me" wish. May have been my compartment. Would loved to have popped a string on one there !! A pretty place, in a 'West Texas' kind of way.
                  Last edited by gonzotexan; 08-16-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

...I guess I have to ask, but the only cats I have results on, are my 'pending 2nd' on my Archery Deer. But my Archery MD, Jav, Gun Deer Antlerless, and Exotic are still showing "application received". Anyone else have results in those, yet ?????

Comment

...****...be prepared for the toughest hunt there. WASTED 8 pref points to go there in 2015. Never saw an actual wt in my compartment, and humped MILES just hoping to stir one up. Heard a couple blow and bound away through the cover, but never even laid eyeballs on 'em. Saw lots of turkey and quail, though. Coyotes OVERRUN that place, with the approval of the manager, apparently. Will never go there again. Was glad I had earplugs for sleeping in the campground, they kayaiiiad all night lo
                      ng, seemingly within 100 yards of the campground.
                      I was there in 2004, not sure how the place is now but saw some toad mule deer(a long ways off) then but this place is not exactly archery friendly, in 5 days of all the groups there only one small whitetail doe was brought in to the check station. It was cool to hunt and see the place, for the canyon compartments you need to be in shape and cover alot of miles ever day, and I did but thats still no guarantee.
                      Last edited by bossbowman; 08-16-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

...I guess I have to ask, but the only cats I have results on, are my 'pending 2nd' on my Archery Deer. But my Archery MD, Jav, Gun Deer Antlerless, and Exotic are still showing "application received". Anyone else have results in those, yet ?????
                        No I’m betting they are doing some trouble shooting to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Just a guess

Comment

Their computer draw system is FUBAR right now

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            Their computer draw system is FUBAR right now
                            ....Hahahaha, but yeah,...I was thinking the same. But no-one here had asked, or bitched, about it yet, so was just wondering WTH.

Comment

....Hahahaha, but yeah,...I was thinking the same. But no-one here had asked, or bitched, about it yet, so was just wondering WTH.
                              I've been an emotional wreck since recognizing that every swinging JoN on TBH was drawn for Choke Canyon knowing there was only 4 permits/groups available.... I knew something was wrong!
                              Today wore me out. I need a beer.

Worst. CHRISTMAS. EVER! [emoji25]🤪🤣

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking at my permit number looks like we were number 5, 1 out of the money if what y’all are saying is true about taking the top 4 groups.

Comment

Working...
                                X