2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
    Learn me on the full moon thing please. Is the theory deer will feed more at night because they see more from the moonlight and stay laid up longer during the day?

Bingo!
    Mornings and evenings are either busy as heck, or dead completely. Deer are often on their feet mid day, though, when the full moon is up all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
      Learn me on the full moon thing please. Is the theory deer will feed more at night because they see more from the moonlight and stay laid up longer during the day?
      Think of it as deer being twice a day to feed. With the full moon they are up feeding longer at night which pushes their next feed time further typically you will see more mid day feeding during the full moons which is when I do all day sits. The main issue right now is with all this rain they don’t have to go far for food and water because both are everywhere. Best way to find them currently is getting as close to bedding areas as you can without spooking them. It’s a fine line because if your to far you see nothing but if you get to close you will push them out of the area. Also patterns do to so much pressure and use of the Grasslands has them all over the place.

Comment

Well I had an interesting morning hunt started off with a spike then a doe and then the gunshots started on the neighbors i herd a few ricochets in the distance didn’t like it but kept hunting and then here comes this loud buzzing sound towards me into the trees next to me herd it hit branches and I was gone had to cut my hunt short but I’m back up in a tree different place this time

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
          Well I had an interesting morning hunt started off with a spike then a doe and then the gunshots started on the neighbors i herd a few ricochets in the distance didn’t like it but kept hunting and then here comes this loud buzzing sound towards me into the trees next to me herd it hit branches and I was gone had to cut my hunt short but I’m back up in a tree different place this time

Did you have to change underwear too? haha

Comment

Nea just cleaned them haha

Comment

That needs to be reported. The projectile crossed a property line!

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                That needs to be reported. The projectile crossed a property line!
                I agree with this. If it was the other way around you can bet it would be reported. I won't subscribe any personal motive but I wouldn't ge surprised if the "it's not a problem it's public" logic was in play.

Comment

Left home at 4am this morning. Saw 2 bucks eating acorns off of 1171 in Flower Mound. It wouldn't be too far fetched it was closer to the Roanoke side but these deer were just outside of town; pretty crazy. When I got close to the unit I hunt, a little spike took off down the middle of road. I followed behind him for about 1/2 mile before he finally jumped the fence. Pretty funny. Saw one deer on stand, not sure what it was. I was setup about 30 yards inside the tree line and it was in the open field making it's way into the timber. I did some rattling but nothing responded. Scrapes are getting fresher and bigger. It should get fun soon!

Comment

Did an afternoon sit. Mostly a test run with my daughter and the tree stands. We had two does working the trail we've been hunting. They spooked when another hunter came by. I hoped they would return but no dice. Probably bedded down until after dark. I haven't seen the shooter 8 since I had him on camera a couple of weeks ago. Did some drive-by scouting of another unit on the way in. Got some possibilities I will explore further on a west wind day. I've run out of dandelion for wind testing. If anyone knows of a good ragweed or milkweed patch and could PM me I would appreciate it. I look on the way in but I don't see any pods. If there is something else usable I would appreciate that information as well.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                      Bingo!
                      Mornings and evenings are either busy as heck, or dead completely. Deer are often on their feet mid day, though, when the full moon is up all night.

Are you hunting Oklahoma now or still here in God's country?

Comment

JND, cut off a cattail head and use it for wind tester, a couple weeks ago there were several along the Cottonwood lake dam.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                          JND, cut off a cattail head and use it for wind tester, a couple weeks ago there were several along the Cottonwood lake dam.
                          Thanks, I will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                            Are you hunting Oklahoma now or still here in God's country?

Unless I ease through a unit in gun season, the rest of my hunting this season will be in Oklahoma this year. Won’t be able to hit the woods until November.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              Thanks, I will do that.

There are still some milkweed pods here and there on the roadside. But, I haven’t seen any good dense patches like earlier in the summer.
                              There’s a good amount on private, undeveloped, land on 2499 between Denton and flower mound. I’m tempted to cross the fence and grab some pods.

Comment

Got some good fishing today on public land trying out our night crawlers. Been raising them for about 3 months now. They are tough little jokers. Instead of the one bite/one worm crap you get at the store. We were catching 3-5 fish per worm. The pics don’t do justice. Caught 30 or more fish in 2 hours. They were some good bluegills. Lipping size.

Comment

Working...
                                X