No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck. I have some east wind spots picked out that have a shooter 8 on camera. Not consistent though. Problem is by the time I get out there it looks like the wind moves to the NW. That'll be a whole new area for me.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      Headed out in the AM for 3 days that will probably be my last LBJ hunts of the year. As soon as gun season hits, I high tail it to Oklahoma for lower pressure public land bucks.

Looks like the only rain in the forecast is Wednesday afternoon. The winds are really odd for Tuesday and Wednesday (out of the east) but I think I can make something work.

Good luck to anyone else headed that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Winds were out of the north/NNE all weekend which was also interesting, hunted some different setups than previously had occasion to.

Comment

Razorback01, thank you for the PM, I do not have enough posts to reply back yet.

Comment

YW, keep posting!

Comment

The Unit you gave me did not come up on the map I found online. However, I Googled the unit and found that the map I researched is not totally accurate on the units. I will go up to the Forestry Office and grab one when I can.

Comment

Got to the unit I’m hunting to find someone with a camp setup at the parking lot. Plenty of space for the both of us, and some conversation at camp tonight is always welcome. Hoping I get to help drag a deer out, even if I don’t get one myself.

I’m running about an hour early, so taking it slow on the way in. Already jumped 2 deer in the dark in the first 1/3 mile. Haven’t used a light for anything but creek crossings.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                The Unit you gave me did not come up on the map I found online. However, I Googled the unit and found that the map I researched is not totally accurate on the units. I will go up to the Forestry Office and grab one when I can.
                Yeah, some of the map pics online are numbered different than the official maps from the HQ maps. I always assumed they were renumbered at some point. Anyway good luck.

Comment

Got to the unit I’m hunting to find someone with a camp setup at the parking lot. Plenty of space for the both of us, and some conversation at camp tonight is always welcome. Hoping I get to help drag a deer out, even if I don’t get one myself.

I’m running about an hour early, so taking it slow on the way in. Already jumped 2 deer in the dark in the first 1/3 mile. Haven’t used a light for anything but creek crossings.

Good luck!

Comment

No deer this morning, but I finally got all set up for my evening spot. The little grove I wanted to sit didn’t have a single suitable tree thanks to a ridiculous amount of greenbrier. I made the best of it, though and set up at ground level.

On my way from the morning sit to the evening location, I came across this ANCIENT blackjack oak. I don’t think I have ever seen one this big. Red oaks, live oaks, and post oaks yes... but not a blackjack.

Comment

What a sweet tree!

Comment

Didn’t see a darn thing today. I’m sure the full moon didn’t help.

Call me selfish, but I feel that if we HAVE to have full moons during hunting season, they should at least rise and set during daylight so they don’t reduce deer movement....

Comment

Call me selfish, but I feel that if we HAVE to have full moons during hunting season, they should at least rise and set during daylight so they don’t reduce deer movement....

Let me get on the phone. I'll see what I can do about that.

BTW, if you need help, with anything, I'm in Alvord.

Comment

I do not even hunt the mornings or afternoons on the day before, the day of or the day after a full moon. Only the middle of the day. My last 2 bucks have been shot on the day before a full moon, 1 @ 11:20AM, the other was at 1:03pm. Same thing on new moons. Especially on public.

Comment

I bet it is a fooking mess out there today again

Comment

Hopefully it dries out a little. Planning on going out tomorrow and just doing an all day sit.

Comment

Working...
                                X