No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just made a trip to hico and saw several deer out playing and grazing so it's definitely a good day for it

Comment

I did see anything this morning. Someone did hit a doe on the road sometime after i got there. I saw one doe on 174 on the drive to my spot this morning.just noluck at the grounds i hunt.

Comment

Dang this thread went dead with the holiday weekend. Bump it up.

Comment

I'm trying to give others a chance to post, by me not posting as much Storm.

After today is over, I may go hunt sometime this week. Not sure yet. Thought I'd let the weekend warriors do their thing over the holidays . Seems I'm not missing much anyway .
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-27-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Not much to report except a lot of hogs a piglets anyone missing Wilbert? Lol

Comment

Went out this morning, nothing moving for me stayed out till 1. Really windy!

Comment

Took couple days ago on coe. Almost 17" 10pt. 4.5 year old.
                Last edited by Nocturnal85; 11-27-2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Congrats Nocturnal.

Comment

Way to go Nocturnal!

Comment

Nice one nocturnal

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six-Four View Post
                        The biggest issue for me is the last part there - guys who try to claim hunting spots. It's public land (preaching to the choir here I'm sure). I have seen setups with large feeders that took ATV's to setup - even multiple 'permanent' stands around some of these large feeders. If you leave it (stand, feeder, camera) the risk is on you that it may not be there when you get back (and of course it's against the rules).

But the guys who try to claim an area as theirs - that's going way too far. I know of people trying to sell guided hunts on public land in some places in Texas. I also know of guys threatening other hunters because this is "their spot".

On Oct 1st this year I had a guy come in 40 yards from me around 3:30pm; I was sitting my stand all day. At 40 yards he stopped and I whistled - he acknowledged me then started setting up his climber in the tree next to him. He was 40 yds cause I had ranged that shooting lane earlier in the day. I finally spoke and said "Don't ya think 40 yards is a little close?" His reply - "But this is where I always hunt".

I know it's public land first and foremost. But common courtesy. For me it'd be 100 yds or more and probably out of sight depending on the setup.

What would be a common courtesy distance for some of y'all?
                        I had two hillbilly red headed brothers threaten to pull me out of the tree I was sitt'n in cause I happened to setup in there "spot". I'd be ****ed if I was climbing out of that tree. First brother showed up and started spout'n off at me, and then he called his older brother. I ended up having to call the Game Warden. Happy times hunting the Corp Land. Not like it used to be......

Comment

Just pee on the nearest tree to mark ur spot.

Comment

I guess I can consider myself lucky I never have had a bad encounter with a feller hunter. Knock on wood. Lol.

Comment

It happens. Even to the point fights break out. Hillsborro PD reported 7 cases a few years ago in a single season (so says a former HPD here). Must have been all those Aquilla hunters.

Comment

If it gets out of hand to the point were s fight could start. Just start yelling at the nearest tree and drop your pants and walk in circles. Bet they leave and never return, like grand kids lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X