TPWD Hunt Best Practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Hunt Best Practices

How about a discussion thread to share info on best practices for those of us lucky ones who have drawn the elusive TPWD public lands hunt?

Obviously, the compartment hunts allow more flexibility and require more strategy on your part then a placed in stand hunt. Not that there's not valued info for those as well.

Many of us have been on multiple hunts (Shane) and surely some are first timers with lots of questions....so bring em.

Post it; success, failure, pictures and links to past threads.
    Last edited by Slick8; 08-13-2016, 05:46 PM.

Matagorda Island

I'll start it off with my hunt from last year, a Deer hunt on Matagorda island in December.

Just a few pointers here, get there as early as possible to set up your camp prior to orientation. After orientation and the standby drawing, you'll draw for stands then be taken to your stand about an hour later. There's a paved road running the length of the park and you ride out in the back of a half ton truck. Dress warm if it's cold as it's a long ride.

If you're on the surf side of the road, be prepared to shoot a looooooong ways and watch for deer coming off of the dunes. I shot my deer at 452 yards off of said sand dune. On the bay side it's flatter with shorter grass. They don't burn near as much as they once did and as a result the grass can be 4 plus feet high.

It's 100% primitive so bring all you need. Only way out there is by boat, some local guides will run you out to the island but the ferry no longer runs. There's a restroom near the campsite and a restroom/cold shower in one of the old dorms. That dorm was not being used as it’s in disrepair but the shower is serviceable.

Lastly, don't be late for the truck, all will be loaded and waiting on you.

Best of luck.

Comment

Hunt edges, invest in a good game cart to haul in corn and stands and haul out game. Good boots and pop up blinds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll talk about Laguna Atascosa. I like section 8. Find where the game trails intersect. Sometimes you find three or four trails intersecting. Set up a tripod to take advantage of the prevailing southeast breeze. Otherwise, the wind blows the opposite. Believe it or not, I've seen many deer crossing into the private ranch across the road. You can hunt close to the road if you find the right trails. Also, there are not many tall trees, so use a tripod no more than 7-8 feet high. Chiggers are bad there. Cover yourself with bug repellent often. Section 5 is cool too. You can set up on Horse Island and watch deer cross to you if you find a current used trail.

Comment

Public hunts can definitely show others who are the "hunters" and who are just "people that hunt"...be ready to scout, set up and sit all day all in a day. You won't be successful if you're back in camp. Well, maybe if you cook...hahaha, just be ready to go all in on every aspect of the hunt. I've been very successful on all of my public hunts. I've never been "skunked". Either taken animals home or could have and passed waiting for big daddy. A buddy and I killed 6 WT and 8 axis on a 2 day management hunt. Other hunters were no shows and biologists were so happy with us they gave us an old 150 quart cooler because we filled the 5 up that we brought! I haven't checked in awhile but I took a gator with archery equipment that ranked #5 SCI in 2007 on a public hunt. Killed 4 aoudad and 2 Corsican on another hunt and scores of WT, turkey and hogs on others.

Comment

I'll second what both said above. I've hunted a similar manner at Heart of Texas which is similar to these public hunts in that you have limited time to scout and set up plus can't hunt over their feeders.

I've tried to find where two or more trails intersect and in a somewhat open area so that when deer are feeding others will see them from a distance off and come check it out.

Given my limited time on a three day hunt at the Daughtrey and needing to help my dad set up his blind, I think I'll look for the most sign I can see off the road and sit up there. If I can brush in on a turn or crossing allowing me to see a greater distance of the sendero I'll lightly corn a good long ways then heavily on my spot to draw them near.

I'm thinking of modifying one of my tri-pods to a 5-6 foot level so that I can easily move to set up on a hot spot...might be over-thinking things...

I agree with WTJim, you have to be willing to hunt long and hard then there are still no guarantees given the short time frame and luck of the draw regarding where your place (compartment or stand).
            Last edited by Slick8; 08-14-2016, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I have been on a bunch of these hunts. Me tellin about each and every one, well, I would be here all day, and I don't have all day!!
              On the short hunts, once I find out which compartment I have, I will look at the map. Just about all of them have aerial maps. Then I do a speed scout and select 2 possible stand locations.
              On the extended hunts, I try to locate at least 4 stand sites. Locate the food, you will find the deer.

Comment

Rattle Rattle Rattle.

Especially those who draw down south in December and January

Use the wind and cover ground.

That's all I did at James Daughtrey WMA. If the unit you draw has the open space and range to do it I would highly recommend it

Comment

I'll be at the Daughtry on Jan 3rd for a bow hunt, will beer still be responding to horns? I thought January would be post rut....

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    I'll be at the Daughtry on Jan 3rd for a bow hunt, will beer still be responding to horns? I thought January would be post rut....
                    You could be smack dab in the middle of it! I'd be toting horns around the whole time with me. Heres my hunt down there and it was 10 days later then your hunt and I rattled in 30-40 bucks during my time there.

Comment

The rut is usually in January in south Texas. So I wouldn't count it out

Comment

Good info, I thought it was mid December.

I'll be packing a lunch to hunt all day if necessary.

Thanks for the info.
                        Last edited by Slick8; 08-14-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Good info, I thought it was mid December.

I'll be packing a lunch to hunt all day if necessary.

Thanks for the info.
                          I would already plan on doing that sir.

Let us know which unit you get.

Comment

Yup, pb&j and summer sausage will keep me going all day with a jug of water.

When planning an all day hunt I'll just stash a 1 gallon jug in my blind just to cut down on pack weight.

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Comment

Working...
                              X