No announcement yet.

TPWD Hunt Best Practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wife and I are headed to Chaparral for archery hunt 12/5-9.

Comment

For areas where multiple hunters are sharing an open unit, how do people best manage against bumping other hunters? What etiquette or marking protocols have people found useful?

Comment

chaparral

Originally posted by LVhunter09 View Post
        The chaparral and ok I keep hearing pop ups is the way to go so I'm going to take one. Do y'all happen to know when they rut at the chaparral?
        We hunted late December last year and they were starting to rut. You should be there at the right time.

Comment

Got a archery hunt at Colorado Bend State Park on Dec7,8,9th. Going to take all this advice and put it to good use... thank you all very much. Anyone spent any time at that park?

Comment

Originally posted by LVhunter09 View Post
            The chaparral and ok I keep hearing pop ups is the way to go so I'm going to take one. Do y'all happen to know when they rut at the chaparral?
            Pop ups are good but must be brushed in really well if bow hunting. They've already seen many popups along roads and fence line by the time you get there. The hard part is finding some thick brush where you want to hunt, place your pop up inside of that and then brush around it. Much of the brush has lost it's leaves by now making the job even harder.

If you have a 6-10 foot tripod take it as well.

If you have a choice, pick a compartment with one or more draws as they'll hold your best brush, are deer travel routes and if they cross a road will allow best access.

BTW-you're allowed to pick your compartment based on the order you were drawn.

Originally posted by texmet View Post
            For areas where multiple hunters are sharing an open unit, how do people best manage against bumping other hunters? What etiquette or marking protocols have people found useful?
            You'll be taken to your area and shown a very general lay of the land by your "guide" and then your on your own. I suggest before you leave the check station to see who's hunting near you and exchange phone numbers then after a bit of scouting can form a game plan. I did that with the three people hunting me this past week at the Chap. We were able to communicate movements and not bother each other plus had a helping hand just a phone call away if needed.

Comment

Working...
            X