No announcement yet.

Camp Bullis 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't find older pics to see his body. I'd also like to see him walking after taking broadhead through shoulders. May have lost weight from injury. If I see him having trouble, I'll definitely take him out.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kybowhuntr View Post
      I can't find older pics to see his body. I'd also like to see him walking after taking broadhead through shoulders. May have lost weight from injury. If I see him having trouble, I'll definitely take him out.

Since he has been already shot, probably best to take him out if his antlers are past his ear tips when his ears are up.

Also, since Bullis is under TPWD MLD tags...If he is not 13in talk with game warden or the biologist and they may be able to make an exception to the rules if he is injured for a harvest.
      Otherwise anyone else that reads this should see these pictures and know what a very buck look likes and should avoid. Texas implemented the 13in rule for one reason, money, Texas hunting is a billion dollar industry.
      Last edited by That Guy; 11-29-2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
        Texas implemented the 13in rule for one reason, money, Texas hunting is a billion dollar industry.
        You are definately from out of state!

The 13" rule doesn't apply 100% throughout much of the state. Bexar County in which Bullis is located doesn't have a 13" rule, only Camp Bullis. Other counties around and to the north of SA don't have a 13" rule. So by your logic, is it a rule on Bullis strictly for the money?
        It was put into effect in certain counties that had declined in deer numbers due to small acreage land owners shooting every buck they would see and the bucks didn't get a chance to breed thus the decline over years of over harvest.
        The 13" rule allowed for more deer to breed and increase the numbers of deer, (same reason Bullis has the rule) and as a added benefit the bucks had a chance to mature and start to outsmart the hunters as they aged and it never was solely about the horns as most critics love to imply.
        Deer hunting in Texas was always a big money sport but as the regulations helped the populations so did it add to the popularity of hunting big horns which it all goes hand in hand.

I hunted on a ranch before antler restrictions and it was tough to see a small spike or forkhorn if you were lucky jump the fence and you automatically heard a gunshot.
        After the restrictions and the passage of a few years, the deer numbers were up and a lot of mature bucks are common with big head gear.
        I'm not a "trophy hunter" but I like to shoot mature deer and it's nice to hunt on property where you at least have the chance of seeing a lot of deer.
        Last edited by Jimbo47; 11-29-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

So even if it is outside 13 it has to be mature?

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
            An Honest Kill is a Trophy, Period. โ€œGreat! I hope you get your trophy; several of them. Just donโ€™t impose your number, standard, or minimum on other hunters. If itโ€™s a legal animal, killed by a hunter who put in the hard work, itโ€™s a trophy. Period.โ€ http://www.rusticman.com/you-have-pe...t-small-bucks/
            For someone who says this you sure are hypocritical about him shooting this buck.

Comment

Again with this?

I have an opinion too, but voicing it over and over won't change the rules. It will, however, push people away from what had been an enjoyable thread. Best of luck to those going out this weekend.

Comment

I'd love to see a picture of the buck shot out of 7-14. Scored 145 non-typical.

Comment

The wounded buck in the photo, in my opinion, is definitely a legal buck to harvest. Age is most likely 3 1/2 and inside spread is greater than the required 13 inches. Shot appears to be a broad side shot through top of both shoulders. Just missed the vitals, deer should be fine if it doesn't get infected. It was shot on Friday morning from 8A-4 and tracked for over 200 yards.
                  The big non-typical shot out of MA-7 was photographed on Marna RD in the morning by at least 2 hunters using cell phones. That afternoon a good friend of mine (Carl Powers) had it come in and he harvested it. Had a big kicker with fork off main beam. Tom 6A-3

Comment

Originally posted by born-two-hunt View Post
                    The wounded buck in the photo, in my opinion, is definitely a legal buck to harvest. Age is most likely 3 1/2 and inside spread is greater than the required 13 inches. Shot appears to be a broad side shot through top of both shoulders. Just missed the vitals, deer should be fine if it doesn't get infected. It was shot on Friday morning from 8A-4 and tracked for over 200 yards.
                    The big non-typical shot out of MA-7 was photographed on Marna RD in the morning by at least 2 hunters using cell phones. That afternoon a good friend of mine (Carl Powers) had it come in and he harvested it. Had a big kicker with fork off main beam. Tom 6A-3
                    Do to the lack of a head on shot photo, the >13 is questionable but kybow said he was larger than 13 and I think that is buck 2.5yr old, unsure of the width.

And the non-typical sounds like a nice buck

Originally posted by 1337hunter View Post
                    Again with this?
                    I have an opinion too, but voicing it over and over won't change the rules. It will, however, push people away from what had been an enjoyable thread. Best of luck to those going out this weekend.
                    I agree.
                    For the lack of common sense, rules are implemented for everyone to suffer equally.

Originally posted by 1337hunter View Post
                    I'd love to see a picture of the buck shot out of 7-14. Scored 145 non-typical.
                    X2.
                    Last edited by That Guy; 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                      You are definately from out of state!
                      Your too funny.
                      Sir, 100% Texan! My family owns (farm and ranch) and lives in some of the oldest occupied houses in the area built prior to 1865, and my wife’s family and ranch dates back even further and they lived near several Comanche Indians.

The 13" rule doesn't apply 100% throughout much of the state. Bexar County in which Bullis is located doesn't have a 13" rule, only Camp Bullis. Other counties around and to the north of SA don't have a 13" rule.

Antler restrictions are in place for 117/254 counties requiring at least a 13 inch inside spread. The premise is simple: antler restrictions are designed to protect most bucks until they are at least 3.5 years old. In the counties which have been placed under antler restrictions, TPWD surveys have shown at least 70 percent of the bucks taken by hunters have been less than 3.5 years old. In many of the counties, 1.5 year-old bucks make up as much as 60 percent of the annual harvest. The picture of deer posted by Kybowhuntr is 2.5yrs old, inside spread unknown….

So by your logic, is it a rule on Bullis strictly for the money?

No, the cost last year (2015) was $250 to hunt and only $180 this year. Not for profit. Camp Bullis has to comply with the Sikes Act of 1997. Fish and Wildlife Conservation Funds. Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. ยง 670a–f and Installations may establish and collect fees for hunting, fishing or trapping. These fees are solely for defraying costs incurred for fisheries and wildlife management on the installation. Fees are deposited into the “ Fish and Wildlife Conservation Fund”. They also have Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan (INRMP) which gets updated every 5yrs.

It was put into effect in certain counties that had declined in deer numbers due to small acreage land owners shooting every buck they would see and the bucks didn't get a chance to breed thus the decline over years of over harvest.

6 antler restrictions (research) counties started in the late 1990’s, became law and more in 2002, more in 2006, 51 more in 2009 and by 2014 a total 117 antler restricted counties.
                      In the year of 2004 there was 4 mil Texas deer. Several years with antler restrictions in place and data shows your decline of to 4 million whitetail deer last year (2015).

The 13" rule allowed for more deer to breed and increase the numbers of deer, (same reason Bullis has the rule) and as a added benefit the bucks had a chance to mature and start to outsmart the hunters as they aged and it never was solely about the horns as most critics love to imply.
                      Deer hunting in Texas was always a big money sport but as the regulations helped the populations so did it add to the popularity of hunting big horns which it all goes hand in hand.

The antler restriction is a one size shoe fits all approach. You can’t eat the antlers, but data does show that antler size has increased since 2002. The downfall is that many hunters can no longer afford hunting leases because the increased antler size also has increases the hunting prices, which now has the attraction from out of state hunters. I’m still waiting for the mature bucks to outsmart me, because I will be happy to let them plow their own food plots and fill feeders, lol.

I hunted on a ranch before antler restrictions and it was tough to see a small spike or forkhorn if you were lucky jump the fence and you automatically heard a gunshot.

My advice, spikes are ok to shoot if on free range non-management lands; Research also has shown that yearling bucks which grow “spike” or unbranched antlers have a much greater tendency to grow smaller, have more of a narrow antler width throughout their lives than yearlings which sprout forked antlers, but on the other side of the kitchen, the antler soup doesn’t taste very well anyways.

After the restrictions and the passage of a few years, the deer numbers were up and a lot of mature bucks are common with big head gear.
                      I'm not a "trophy hunter" but I like to shoot mature deer and it's nice to hunt on property where you at least have the chance of seeing a lot of deer.

Speaking of mature deer… mother bucker (j/k), You’re upset or concern with what? …because I ask the gentleman to, “please wait for a mature buck.”

Originally posted by Jimbousmc View Post
                      For someone who says this you sure are hypocritical about him shooting this buck.
                      Fact; young buck 2.5yrs old pencil neck buck and my advice was, “not sure if he would have made 13” and “you should pass on him, please wait for a mature buck” and this solely based off the 5 previously confiscated deer already this year, why even take a chance. I could care less about the antlers in general, from the pictures posted it is hard to tell if he meets the 13in.

Jim, read the quote again, “An Honest Kill is a Trophy, Period.” The buck is not dead yet… Like I said, these are not my “standards, rule or minimum”, Camp Bullis and TPWD set those, nothing hypocritical about it, just making a well informed decision to comply with the rules. If a hunter decides to harvest that buck, awesome and congrats! Outdoors, hunting, fishing is my life!
                      Last edited by That Guy; 11-30-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

back to the regular schedule program:

Looks like high rain chances for Fri-Sun, great opportunity to shoot that big 'O Buck, after long periods of rain, the old mature Bullis bucks are known to peep into your tents while your gone.

I will be hunting all wknd at the farm, hopefully I will not get flooded out on the other side of our property.

Good luck to everyone this wknd!

Comment

New calendar is up. Looks like I have time to catch up on football

Comment

The 13 inch rule for Camp Bullis bucks is cut and dry with no exceptions. The intent I believe is to only have mature bucks harvested and align the hunting program more like what the Parks & Wildlife rules are. A 1/8th mistake in judgement can cost you a 1 year suspension as well as a $200-$300 fine. In years past the rules were does had to be at least 1 1/2 years old and bucks had to be at least 2 1/2. Spikes were considered a bonus deer. I like the old system better but that's just my preference. We all should know the rules and as word spreads about penalties I can see some folks carrying a tape measure in their pocket and some dead deer being left in the woods. Tom 6A-3

Comment

Originally posted by born-two-hunt View Post
                              The 13 inch rule for Camp Bullis bucks is cut and dry with no exceptions. The intent I believe is to only have mature bucks harvested and align the hunting program more like what the Parks & Wildlife rules are. A 1/8th mistake in judgement can cost you a 1 year suspension as well as a $200-$300 fine. In years past the rules were does had to be at least 1 1/2 years old and bucks had to be at least 2 1/2. Spikes were considered a bonus deer. I like the old system better but that's just my preference. We all should know the rules and as word spreads about penalties I can see some folks carrying a tape measure in their pocket and some dead deer being left in the woods. Tom 6A-3
                              I'm, pretty sure there's been some left laying. I have a lot of respect for the guys that have made a mistake and owned up to them knowing the consequences.

Comment

I did find some pics of the deer I posted prior to being shot but not going to post them because I don't like where people were taking it. It's definitely a younger but legal buck. I wasn't asking for permission to shoot it. I simply posted the pic because I was excited to see a buck that I helped a fellow hunter track. It's a terrible feeling to shoot a buck and not find it. Regardless of the age, I would have been excited for him to recover it even though it would have ended my season. Will I shoot it if I see it having trouble walking? Definitely! I may even shoot it if it's doing fine. I'll make that call if I ever see it. I'll respect someone just wanting to fill the freezer the same as the guys willing to eat tag soup for that buck of a lifetime. Good luck to everyone and I didn't mean to stir the pot with that pic. -Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X