2016 Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wise Men of TPWD drawn hunts...

1) when I see someone say, "Got drawn, finally, with 29 points..etc" Does this literally mean you have been applying for 29 years?
    Same goes for all other with loyalty points of all amounts.

2) I'd assume that the rifle hunts are harder to draw than archery...is this the case?

3) I applied for a few "Archery deer" hunts for the first time and as expected I did no get drawn--are "epostcard" hunts any different? Do these hunts have loyalty point queues as long as all others?

Doesn't seem like there is much hope. I'm very glad for the TBH folks on this thread and elsewhere that drew this year. Just seems like it us such a long shot for all. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueduck View Post
      Matador. GDE
      It took 30 years, I had 29 preference points. I will show up.
      Something definitely wrong. I'm not even 30 years old yet and been drawn twice for that hunt

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
        Wise Men of TPWD drawn hunts...

1) when I see someone say, "Got drawn, finally, with 29 points..etc" Does this literally mean you have been applying for 29 years?
        Same goes for all other with loyalty points of all amounts.

2) I'd assume that the rifle hunts are harder to draw than archery...is this the case?

3) I applied for a few "Archery deer" hunts for the first time and as expected I did no get drawn--are "epostcard" hunts any different? Do these hunts have loyalty point queues as long as all others?

Doesn't seem like there is much hope. I'm very glad for the TBH folks on this thread and elsewhere that drew this year. Just seems like it us such a long shot for all. Thanks.
        1) Yep. Unless it was a group and one of the hunt party may have been at it longer.

2) Not necessarily. My have been half gun and half archery since 2004.

3) Not familiar with e postcard hunts.

I have been drawn for several hunts over the last twelve years. Just keep applying. If you are applying for the most popular hunts, yeah you might not get drawn as much.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
          That is confusing. I'm sure someone else around here has been in the same boat and can give you better details.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I just read all will have to have hunter safety even with the adult.
          That still doesn't clear it up though.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
            I just read all will have to have hunter safety even with the adult.
            That still doesn't clear it up though.
            Thanks
            My son and daughter didn't have hunter's safety a couple of years ago when they went on several hunts. I confirmed with TPWD before they ever went that as long as I was with them, they were OK to hunt. That must have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
              My son and daughter didn't have hunter's safety a couple of years ago when they went on several hunts. I confirmed with TPWD before they ever went that as long as I was with them, they were OK to hunt. That must have changed.

This is correct. Talked TPWD last week. Guide has to have hunter Ed. This is why 8 year olds are allowed to hunt (have to be 9 to be Hunter Ed Certified).

Comment

Special Permit Categories
                Youth applicants must be 8 to 16 years old at the time of application.
                Youth applicants must apply with a non-hunting supervising adult who is at least 18 years old.
                During these hunts, only the youth will be allowed to hunt.
                An adult may supervise multiple youth hunters, however, there may not be more than one adult per youth.
                All youth hunters under 12 years of age must be directly supervised by an adult and remain within normal voice distance.
                Failure of the parent or guardian to properly supervise youth hunters will be cause for forfeiture of the permits of both adult and youth hunters.
                You may apply for multiple areas within each category but only once at each area within the category.
                The application and permit fees are waived for all participants in the youth only hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                  This is correct. Talked TPWD last week. Guide has to have hunter Ed. This is why 8 year olds are allowed to hunt (have to be 9 to be Hunter Ed Certified).

In my case I didn't have hunter's ed because I was born before (well before) 1971.

Comment

In my case I didn't have hunter's ed because I was born before (well before) 1971.

Yes. That too for you old fellas..

Comment

thanks for the info...

1) Yep. Unless it was a group and one of the hunt party may have been at it longer.

2) Not necessarily. My have been half gun and half archery since 2004.

3) Not familiar with e postcard hunts.

I have been drawn for several hunts over the last twelve years. Just keep applying. If you are applying for the most popular hunts, yeah you might not get drawn as much.
                      thanks for the info...On the tpwd website...
                      2016-2017 DRAWN HUNT CATALOG:
                      1) SPECIAL PERMIT HUNTS
                      2) US FOREST SERVICE ANTERLESS DEER PERMITS
                      3) NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE HUNTS
                      4) E-POSTCARD SELECTION HUNTS
                      Annual Public Hunting Permit Required

GENERAL
                      Dove
                      Feral Hog
                      Feral Hog/Predator
                      Multi-Species
                      Quail
                      Squirrel
                      Waterfowl
                      Waterfowl/Pheasant

ARCHERY
                      Deer
                      Youth Deer

YOUTH ONLY
                      Deer
                      Deer-Antlerless/Spike

YOUTH/ADULT
                      Feral Hog
                      Waterfowl

Comment

Just checked it again and it says all hunters have to have the safety cert if you don't meet the birthdate requirement:

Hunters born on or after September 2, 1971 are required to have completed the Hunter Education Certification. See the Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual for more information.
                        The display or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.

As usual clear as mud. The brochure says one thing (above) then the Annual says something different.
                        Last edited by TXHunter12; 09-25-2016, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                          Just checked it again and it says all hunters have to have the safety cert if you don't meet the birthdate requirement:

Hunters born on or after September 2, 1971 are required to have completed the Hunter Education Certification. See the Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual for more information.
                          The display or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.

As usual clear as mud. The brochure says one thing (above) then the Annual says something different.

This had me concerned too and couldn't understand why they would let 8 year olds apply if they couldn't take hunters Ed. Called headquarters in Austin and they said the wording may be little misleading. Kids don't have to have cert, as long as in direct supervision of qualified adult.

Comment

I just joined this forum, Hi.
                            I've seen the complaints about the chances of being drawn, here is what I've experienced. 2012 was the first time I tried applying, an I got a GDM hunt at Mason Mountain. 2013, 2014, 2015 entered and no selection. Now this year, with the online entry, I entered each category an multiple locations. I've been drawn on 3 hunts and feeling pretty lucky. Gus Engeling antlerless/spike in November, Mason Mountain GDM in December and a doe hunt on private lands un Blanco County. My advice, keep entering, waiting on the mule deer draw....any tips for Gus Engeling wma????

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby View Post
                              I just joined this forum, Hi.
                              I've seen the complaints about the chances of being drawn, here is what I've experienced. 2012 was the first time I tried applying, an I got a GDM hunt at Mason Mountain. 2013, 2014, 2015 entered and no selection. Now this year, with the online entry, I entered each category an multiple locations. I've been drawn on 3 hunts and feeling pretty lucky. Gus Engeling antlerless/spike in November, Mason Mountain GDM in December and a doe hunt on private lands un Blanco County. My advice, keep entering, waiting on the mule deer draw....any tips for Gus Engeling wma????
                              welcome to the forum, congrats on getting selected for all those hunts...

Comment

Gus Engeling 8-11 Nov anterless spike hunt

Is it worth going up to Gus Engeling to scout if you have no idea where they will put you? I've been drawn, but never been there, only about 2 or 3 hours away though. I have a walk up tree stand and a pop up ground, which one will be better seT up for that area? Thanks in advance. Hoping it cools down by then and no floods occur.

Comment

Working...
                                X