SHNF 16-17 BS thread ( Banter session)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's perty lookin there SR.

I dont know if you call what I do fishing after reading some of the stuff yall go through. As always, I have learned a ton though.

I got a local pond and a spade to dig up worms, lol.

Comment

That sounds like fishing to me JJ.

One of my favorite, most recent fishing trips, was introducing my kiddos to jug fishing. We stayed at a park on a lake and brought the kayak. I paddled them both out and we baited and set the jug lines (all 10... the PVC/floatie kind that I built up just for the trip.)

the entire weekend we'd go out every couple hours and check the lines and reset them if necessary. We ate quite a few catfish that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        That sounds like fishing to me JJ.

One of my favorite, most recent fishing trips, was introducing my kiddos to jug fishing. We stayed at a park on a lake and brought the kayak. I paddled them both out and we baited and set the jug lines (all 10... the PVC/floatie kind that I built up just for the trip.)

the entire weekend we'd go out every couple hours and check the lines and reset them if necessary. We ate quite a few catfish that weekend.
        I saw that thread about the pvc and float and read through it. I want to give that a try and got a kayak last summer. I have taken it out quite a few times just for paddling and enjoying the lake.

It seems a little too good to be true on how easy it looks ?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Going to need to borrow that this weekend.

This is all I had time to tie last night after getting back from Katy late.

Gotta finish making a DIY stripping basket so I don't chew up my line on the rocks.
          Good looking clausers, personally I find they fish better the thinner they are tied to a point. The gurglers will only be worth throwing if the water is flat and things are hitting on top. The clausers if you have a flat near the jetties will work great for flounder or let them get to the dropoff and let them sink down. Also be sure to have some 40lb flouro bite tippett.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            I saw that thread about the pvc and float and read through it. I want to give that a try and got a kayak last summer. I have taken it out quite a few times just for paddling and enjoying the lake.

It seems a little too good to be true on how easy it looks ?
            Making them can be as easy or as challenging as you want. I took the middle road. I used the pvc with and end cap; float; drilled holes for attaching catfish line, used 3 way swivels to attach 2 hooks along the line, a quick snap at the bottom, and then created weights using quickrete, foam cups, and some wire I had laying around.

All of these things fit in one milk crate. I'd attach the weight, drop it down until the first hook, bait it, drop it down, bait the second hook and keep dropping until it hit bottom. Then I'd put two half hitches on the line and let it float.

I'd use binos from the shore to see if any of the floats were moving or dancing. But even if they were not, I'd paddle out with the kids and check them.

It is pretty gosh darn simple really. It was quite fun going out and checking to see what you got. I tried 3 different baits, chicken hearts, liver, and cut sunfish. The chicken hearts got all the action on that lake.

The only thing you need to remember to do is mark your jugs per the rules... and make sure that the lake you are fishing allows jug fishing (can't do it on small community lakes.)

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
              Good looking clausers, personally I find they fish better the thinner they are tied to a point. The gurglers will only be worth throwing if the water is flat and things are hitting on top. The clausers if you have a flat near the jetties will work great for flounder or let them get to the dropoff and let them sink down. Also be sure to have some 40lb flouro bite tippett.

40#? Crap, I had read 20# and just got that.

Yeah, I tied the gurglers just in case. I'm not bringing all my tying gear on this trip (did that once and caught a nice freshwater drum on a fly I tied sitting in a state park cabin just 2 hours prior.) So I figured it wouldn't hurt to whip out 1 or two top water just in case.

I do tend to tie my clousers just a little thick (I'd say medium) because I can always cut some off if they are not getting hit.

Comment

Big fish with teeth live there. If you hook a jack or a snook you will need the bite tippett. Snook have sand paper lips and Jacks are just hard on line and have sharp jaws. Also they have lots of fight and will wear a 20 lb line out in no time flat. Trust me

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                  Big fish with teeth live there. If you hook a jack or a snook you will need the bite tippett. Snook have sand paper lips and Jacks are just hard on line and have sharp jaws. Also they have lots of fight and will wear a 20 lb line out in no time flat. Trust me

Oh, I trust you... just gotta make another run to the store...

Comment

Also make sure your tippett is minimum 16 lbs preferably 20. But put your 40 on the fly

Comment

My tippet is 17... floro.

Comment

That works

Comment

Picked up some 40 during lunch... thanks again for the tip on the tippet.

Comment

Get some long forceps or a hook out tool. Toothy critters are hard to get flies out with out one. If you need any gear, let me know. Rod offer still stands.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

1 2 3 4

Comment

Headed out to the backbpond real quick to test out the setup for tomorrow.

Well... the good news is that my $5 DIY stripping basket worked great!

The part I thought would be a challenge was casting those larger/heavier flies with a 6wt. Lets just say it was herky-jerky. While not pretty and not something I will do for more than an hour... it will fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X