No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We with 88 hours this week I finally get to the forest. I am heading in to hunt a stand we put up for trophytrout. Never made it to the stand. Heard crunching, stopped and nubbing buck came out, followed by 2 does. They were walking to fast for a shot, 3 does comes out, stops and looks back. I really like this new bow, arrow went through her and another 15 to 20 yards. Now I just got to get time to get back out, going to Okla Thurs nite for muzzleloader hunt. and time will change soon. But so much better than last year. Good luck everyone and will try to get Scot to post pic, wife not here and I don't know how.

Comment

Way to go David. Nice work and good shootin.

Comment

Nice work Wanderin!

Comment

Grays Wanderin! Good luck on trip!

Comment

Originally posted by ggood View Post
            Wish I had a climber or even hang on but wife would kill me if I bought one
            And I was thinking of natural ground blind i.e.: fallen log and some brush for cover
            I'll let you borrow mine he'll I'll even put you on a spot i found.

Comment

Originally posted by roostar14 View Post
              I'll let you borrow mine he'll I'll even put you on a spot i found.
              Much as I would love to take you up on it I honestly couldn't
              As I would feel like I was poaching your spot

Comment

Originally posted by ggood View Post
                Much as I would love to take you up on it I honestly couldn't
                As I would feel like I was poaching your spot
                He's got plenty!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be hunting this Thursday thru Monday. Looks like the weather and the moon might be right for some almost all day hunts!

Comment

Got my permit today.

Comment

m.growingdeer.tv/ask/best-time-to-hunt-based-on-moon-phases

Please read everyone.Dr. grant woods has a very informative show and website also qdma.com is a good source. As for rut this year it will peak mid November just like it does every year there is no second rut or 5th rut the spike in activity seen in December is when fawns go into heat.

Please see for rut information (tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/table/#savannah) (and yes Huntsville is in the post oak savanah)

Comment

Originally posted by Jmichaelm View Post
                        m.growingdeer.tv/ask/best-time-to-hunt-based-on-moon-phases

Please read everyone.Dr. grant woods has a very informative show and website also qdma.com is a good source. As for rut this year it will peak mid November just like it does every year there is no second rut or 5th rut the spike in activity seen in December is when fawns go into heat.

Please see for rut information (tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/table/#savannah) (and yes Huntsville is in the post oak savanah)
                        So, when a fawn comes into estrous, and all the bucks chase her, it's not a rut.

Hmm.
                        When a doe comes into estrous and is not bred she will come into estrous again, 28 days later, but that wouldn't be a rut either?

Wow!

So if there is only one rut, what do you call those times?

Pretty sure the bucks think it's just like the first time, so that'd make it a 2nd and 3rd "?"

I've always understood it's when the bucks play clean up and breed any does that aren't bred, hence....a rut.

I guess I'm confused.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^^ Agreed.. any does that are not bread will come back into estrous 28 days later.. month after month. This is especially true in East Tx where the Buck to Doe ratio can be somewhat out of balance. No way they can breed em all the first go round. Heck Ive seen bucks chasing does even into February or March as crazy as that sounds! Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes..

Honestly I really look forward to the second round of does coming into estrous because I know exactly when to expect them.. When I see the first Rut kicking off I start planning a hunting trip 28 days from then and have had great success with that formula... of course i hunt the primary rut, but that 2nd round should not be overlooked!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by ..Ambush..; 10-18-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

The rut is the mating season of ruminant animals deer, sheep, ect... the rut is just a seasonal event starting in October running to January for our region there will be one main peak in breeding. when a fawn comes in to estrous and she is breed it's just called being breed during the rut

Comment

[ATTACH]819736[/ATTACH]

Comment

I understand the confusion but I can't take anyone serious who believes the moon has any affect on whitetail behavior. Temperature and photoperiod are what affect whitetail behavior. Photoperiod the period of time each day during which an organism receives illumination; day length. It's what signals the hormones in the whitetail to rise up and the result is increased testosterone and does going in to estrous

Comment

Working...
                                X