No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting question. Will the deer eat acorns off the low hanging branches before they ripen/drop?

Comment

I've only seen them eat the leaves off oaks. I believe the tannin acids are too high if not ripe.

Now I will say that I've had several deer eat leaves off of a branch I'd just cut that morning.
      Cut one branch blocking a whole area and the deer flock to it. Crazy how they can find it right under my tree.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

A few years back a water oak dropped in one of my hunting areas and the bucks around the area made a huge scappe around the tree linbs that were loaded with green leaves and young acorns . I hunted it twice but didn't see any deer, I set up a camera and had some spikes and small rack deer coming to it at night.

Comment

yep old tires now

Comment

Originally posted by Jtaps View Post
            yep old tires now
            ???

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
              ???
              I'm lost as well...haha

I'm assuming that someone was blowing through the area in a red dodge, disturbing everyone's hunting. At least that's all I can come up with from the comments. Anyways, the offer stands to anyone who needs assistance. I haven't hunted the NF in 10+ years, so I wasn't looking to start anything. If I'm off in left field with my guess about what the red dodge/tires remarks where about, just ignore it

Comment

You weren't the guy, but there was a guy that was reported to drive a red dodge with new tires. It happened last year or the year before. If I remember right, he was poaching spots from one of our guys.
                Seemed he would drive around a look for TBH stickers and then go hunt that spot.

I KNOW you aren't that guy.

I was just making a funny.

Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the offer, you never know when that may be needed.

Comment

Wow. K. Not me. I made a couple jokes last year about having a red truck with new tires. that sucks

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                    You weren't the guy, but there was a guy that was reported to drive a red dodge with new tires. It happened last year or the year before. If I remember right, he was poaching spots from one of our guys.
                    Seemed he would drive around a look for TBH stickers and then go hunt that spot.

I KNOW you aren't that guy.

I was just making a funny.

Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the offer, you never know when that may be needed.

No problem I always honked when I passed the camp on my way to the lease, just didn't want anyone to mistake me for being an idiot like that guy was. Some people have zero respect for you guys who put in the time to scout around. You guys have my respect...I'll admit, I've been ruined by feeders and the ease of my box stand and climbers that stay up all season

Also Damian, glad to see the reports on the angel doing better, bud God is good!

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                      No problem I always honked when I passed the camp on my way to the lease, just didn't want anyone to mistake me for being an idiot like that guy was. Some people have zero respect for you guys who put in the time to scout around. You guys have my respect...I'll admit, I've been ruined by feeders and the ease of my box stand and climbers that stay up all season

Also Damian, glad to see the reports on the angel doing better, bud God is good!
                      Amen!

Comment

Looking at my gamecams, MY GOD there is a deer in the Sam. Maybe the only one, but will try to sweet talk him in about 7 weeks from now.

Comment

Anyone ever see this picture? It was supposedly taken somewhere in the SHNF pre 2006 by a guy fishing. Buck on the far right was an absolute giant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those bucks were swimming the Trinity River.....not on the Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                              Those bucks were swimming the Trinity River.....not on the Sam.
                              I've heard that also. No telling where they actually were.

Comment

Refer to post 1, 22 and 24

Comment

Working...
                                X