No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ended up getting walked in on three times this weekend. Saw one buck. Girlfriend saw one other deers butt, not sure what it was. Sunday morning as we were coming down say for does going Mach 5 by us as we were coming down. 5 minutes later here comes some guy randomly walking around without a orange vest. Guess he jumped the does, but at least it gave my girlfriend a little thrill trying to throw up her rifle in time.

Comment

The moon is a sliver and the temps are cooling. Good luck to all those hunting the Sam this week.

Comment

Good morning gentlemen,

I have been following this thread for about a year but never made an account because I never had any useful advice to give, however I have learned a lot. I hunt private land surrounded by the Sam and hunt in the forest occasionally. This year I tried doing different things than what I had previously done (walking further distances to hunt, hunting stands based on wind, locating food sources, etc.). This year it paid off as I am seeing more activity than previous years combined. I get some giant deer on camera but mostly at night, and a few during the day. Locating these deer in a relatively low pressured area is tough.

I was excited to hunt the morning of Nov. 19th because a cold front was blowing through and it was supposed to rain all night. My buddy had off work the same day I did so I headed up to my place and corned a field where I figured something might come out. I gave him the option to shoot a doe, spike, or a pig. I was saving the big bucks for myself being as I haven't shot one in the years I've been there. I drop him off in that stand and head over to a new area that I thought was pretty good. After sitting for about 30 minutes he texted me saying there was a decent 8 point out in the field at the tree line about 200 yards away. I knew I had a smaller 8 and a gigantic 8 point on camera. He finally clarified it was a 10 point and I knew that the tens I had around there were good deer. I told him that he was lucky and not to shoot yet. At that time a spike had walked right by me, shot it with the suppressed 300 blackout. The bullet hit, he bucked and took off running. Not but 5 minutes later a very nice 8 walked in right next to me. Meanwhile, the big 10 is still in the field eating corn I had put out. Finally the 8 walked in front of me and presented for a good shot at 20 yards. I took the shot, heard the hit and he bucked and took off running also! Being that I knew I had my 13'' buck for the season I told my friend to shoot the 10. He shot and the 10 dropped. I knew we had to track mine so we tagged and loaded the 10 up in the truck, headed over to my spot and searched. No blood or anything from the spike or 8 point. Started wondering around looking for the 8 and had no luck. Found the spike with no obvious blood trail. Entrance hole and exit hole were the same size! Only conclusion that I had was that the ammo I was using (pnw 300 blk hunting round -- cheap ammo) never mushroomed and had a clean pass through. Only reason I was using that ammo was because I had it sighted in for pigs during the summer and thought that it would be fine with deer. We headed to the cabin and cleaned both deer. Got a few of my neighbors to help search for the 8 but never found it. A bit disappointing cause I've seen that deer grow up but happy that it was such an eventful morning for both of us. I was going to attach the picture of the 10 but I can't seem to figure out how to attach a photo and don't see anything about attachments, maybe because I'm new?

Comment

Welcome slick. And yes, it's cuz you're new. A few more posts and you should be able to attach pics. And congrats!

Comment

Thank you! For the mean time the buck is in my avatar with my friend who shot it. The pic is a little small but I'll post a few when I'm able to. Scored around 130. Pretty good for a low fence deer!

Comment

Congrats slick. Sorry about the 8, at 20 yards, that deer has to be dead.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice job Slick. Lack of expansion may be do to close range. Point blank can cause it to not have time to expand. Congrats on the doe. Sounds like you're putting in the work.

Comment

Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 11-28-2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Slickhead View Post
                    Good morning gentlemen,

I have been following this thread for about a year but never made an account because I never had any useful advice to give, however I have learned a lot. I hunt private land surrounded by the Sam and hunt in the forest occasionally. This year I tried doing different things than what I had previously done (walking further distances to hunt, hunting stands based on wind, locating food sources, etc.). This year it paid off as I am seeing more activity than previous years combined. I get some giant deer on camera but mostly at night, and a few during the day. Locating these deer in a relatively low pressured area is tough.

I was excited to hunt the morning of Nov. 19th because a cold front was blowing through and it was supposed to rain all night. My buddy had off work the same day I did so I headed up to my place and corned a field where I figured something might come out. I gave him the option to shoot a doe, spike, or a pig. I was saving the big bucks for myself being as I haven't shot one in the years I've been there. I drop him off in that stand and head over to a new area that I thought was pretty good. After sitting for about 30 minutes he texted me saying there was a decent 8 point out in the field at the tree line about 200 yards away. I knew I had a smaller 8 and a gigantic 8 point on camera. He finally clarified it was a 10 point and I knew that the tens I had around there were good deer. I told him that he was lucky and not to shoot yet. At that time a spike had walked right by me, shot it with the suppressed 300 blackout. The bullet hit, he bucked and took off running. Not but 5 minutes later a very nice 8 walked in right next to me. Meanwhile, the big 10 is still in the field eating corn I had put out. Finally the 8 walked in front of me and presented for a good shot at 20 yards. I took the shot, heard the hit and he bucked and took off running also! Being that I knew I had my 13'' buck for the season I told my friend to shoot the 10. He shot and the 10 dropped. I knew we had to track mine so we tagged and loaded the 10 up in the truck, headed over to my spot and searched. No blood or anything from the spike or 8 point. Started wondering around looking for the 8 and had no luck. Found the spike with no obvious blood trail. Entrance hole and exit hole were the same size! Only conclusion that I had was that the ammo I was using (pnw 300 blk hunting round -- cheap ammo) never mushroomed and had a clean pass through. Only reason I was using that ammo was because I had it sighted in for pigs during the summer and thought that it would be fine with deer. We headed to the cabin and cleaned both deer. Got a few of my neighbors to help search for the 8 but never found it. A bit disappointing cause I've seen that deer grow up but happy that it was such an eventful morning for both of us. I was going to attach the picture of the 10 but I can't seem to figure out how to attach a photo and don't see anything about attachments, maybe because I'm new?
                    congrats on the deer, hope you know baiting in the forest is illegal

Comment

Originally posted by BuckTrail View Post
                      congrats on the deer, hope you know baiting in the forest is illegal
                      He said it was private land.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                        He said it was private land.
                        So then Technically these are not SHNF deer and he is not hunting the SHNF. That explains why there is No deer in the forest they are baited and drawn out of it.
                        Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 11-28-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Haha. That's exactly right.

Comment

Anyone here shoots a Lyman great Plains or a hawken and how do you like them?

Comment

CVA optima here. Sorry BC, no help.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                                CVA optima here. Sorry BC, no help.

I have two cva's a Kodiak and a Accura and I like them both. I have a deal pending on these two traditional rifles both are sidelocks 54 caliber and a 50.

Comment

Working...
                                X