Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pelochas View Post
    Did you get any suspension on hunting license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luckily no.. although if you do not pay the fines and fees your hunting AND fishing license will be suspended until you do-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ambush -- Sorry you went through that experience! That sux all the way around.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this and its my own personal opinion but...... I'm no fan of the 13" rule. I believe it adds undo added stress into my hunting that I do not enjoy experiencing!

Yeah, I know all the folks that say it has produced larger deer and they are seeing improvements in buck quality. Great for them. It is also protecting an inferior gene that will continue to be spread because it protects narrow racked bucks that need to be culled.

But mostly for me is here in the Sam, when you see a buck, you do not get but a split second to make the decision to shoot or not shoot. A mistake can be made really quick. Everybody says, "Well if your not sure he's 13", you need to walk him." That just really stinks because typically you aren't going to ever see that buck again in these piney woods.

Mostly for me, is the added stress that gets added to what normally would be a joyous hunting experience. I'm scared to make a mistake, that I'm sure will happen eventually.

Comment

On one hand I agree with you Tod. On the other I am seeing a lot more bigger deer killed these days. So I do agree it's helping. So yes, I see the pros and cons of the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this and its my own personal opinion but...... I'm no fan of the 13" rule. I believe it adds undo added stress into my hunting that I do not enjoy experiencing!

Yeah, I know all the folks that say it has produced larger deer and they are seeing improvements in buck quality. Great for them. It is also protecting an inferior gene that will continue to be spread because it protects narrow racked bucks that need to be culled.

But mostly for me is here in the Sam, when you see a buck, you do not get but a split second to make the decision to shoot or not shoot. A mistake can be made really quick. Everybody says, "Well if your not sure he's 13", you need to walk him." That just really stinks because typically you aren't going to ever see that buck again in these piney woods.

Mostly for me, is the added stress that gets added to what normally would be a joyous hunting experience. I'm scared to make a mistake, that I'm sure will happen eventually.
          AR's have gotta be better for hunting in the Sam than the infamous "kill everything that moves because if I don't someone else will" mentality that was so pervasive in the past?

Comment

Everybody is welcome to their opinion. The above is mine.

If I feel like killing a buck, I should be able to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
              Oh no... He took deer too! Sorry, forgot to mention that-

Yeah that sucks.

Comment

Todd, I'm for the 13" rule, but your right about an inferior heavy horned mature 8 or 10pt buck with a 12 1/2 wide rack. I don't worry about the width much while hunting. When I'm Lucky enough to see a buck I'm going to take I know it's legal in a matter of a second or two. I scout and hunt to hard to shoot the first legal looking buck I see. And you know what I'm talking about.

I will be out in the morning rain or shine, if it's raining to hard I'll wait in the truck till it lets up. Good luck to anyone hunting in the morning!

Comment

Everybody is welcome to their opinion. The above is mine
                  I'm not knockin' you. I hope it didn't come out that way. You're cool by me.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                    Todd, I'm for the 13" rule, but your right about an inferior heavy horned mature 8 or 10pt buck with a 12 1/2 wide rack. I don't worry about the width much while hunting. When I'm Lucky enough to see a buck I'm going to take I know it's legal in a matter of a second or two. I scout and hunt to hard to shoot the first legal looking buck I see. And you know what I'm talking about.

I will be out in the morning rain or shine, if it's raining to hard I'll wait in the truck till it lets up. Good luck to anyone hunting in the morning!
                    Good luck, Bryant!

Comment

Yes it'll definitely make you think twice about taking a shot. Like you mentioned you only have a split second to decide and often times its too close to call so you gotta let em walk...

I do believe the 13-inch rule allows these deer to get some age on them though, and thats always good. I think the whole part of antler restrictions i dont like is the "spike" part of it. In my entire life I've probably only ever seen just a handful of MATURE spikes. Most of the ones killed are 1 1/2 yr olds that never get the chance to show their potential. If its gonna be this way they should go to 1 buck only.. just my opinion, but i see no benefit in harvesting these young deer that one day could grow into something special-

Comment

Yes it'll definitely make you think twice about taking a shot. Like you mentioned you only have a split second to decide and often times its too close to call so you gotta let em walk...

I do believe the 13-inch rule allows these deer to get some age on them though, and thats always good. I think the whole part of antler restrictions i dont like is the "spike" part of it. In my entire life I've probably only ever seen just a handful of MATURE spikes. Most of the ones killed are 1 1/2 yr olds that never get the chance to show their potential. If its gonna be this way they should go to 1 buck only.. just my opinion, but i see no benefit in harvesting these young deer that one day could grow into something special-

A-MEN! I HATE the spike rule. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Comment

We are 1 buck only bud......here in the Sam.

Comment

Now you gotta go be all right and stuff.

Comment

Haha of course

If only there was a universal way to ensure only mature bucks were taken... often times the horns do not tell the tale-

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post

Good luck in the morning Bryant!

I know you and your brother know how to find the big boys!

Me? Meh, I'm a meat hunter. I like them big and small.....they all taste really good!!!

Me finding the big boys has been a little hit and miss. I have recognized a certain set of conditions that will congregate a lot of deer and typically a big boy will show. These conditions only last a couple of years and the deer shift.

However, I will admit I need to spend more time hunting over the sign in thicker woods. I normally only see a really good buck only once per season.......that's my track record.

Right now, I am onto an area that I feel has the potential to produce a good buck. It is a whole bunch of work to get there, but once you do the critters are there. I think its just a matter of putting the time in.

Go get you a good buck in the morning, I will be rooting for ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X