Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
    I figured this was the case, she didn't seem that knowledgeable that's why I'm trying to get ahold of the game warden himself... there is another question I needed to discuss with him anyway regarding the use of the 3rd Buck tag.. Patiently awaiting a return phone call.

Now I see why we have a poaching problem. Tryin to get ahold of the game warden is like trying to get ahold of Obama!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Easy now. The man has a life. I happen to know he is in the woods as we speak. Give him some time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I just passed one of them on 105.. he had a 4-wheeler in tow I guess it was Zavalla?

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can kill one buck in the SHNF WMA and kill another buck in the DCNF WMA or the DCNF, different counties. You just can't take more than 3 bucks a year. If it's a 2 buck county only one buck can be 13" or bigger and one unbranched buck per county. In The SHNF you can only take 1 buck, unbranched or a 13" or bigger but only 1 buck.

Comment

I asked a game warden about it a few years ago and he said you could kill one 13" buck in each wma. I saved the email just in case!

Comment

Okay so I just got the call from the game warden. He said you can kill a 13-inch buck in each WMA as long as they are all in separate counties.. for instance you can kill a 13-inch buck in the DCNF you can kill another 13 inch buck in the SHNF and then go to another WMA in a different County and take a third Buck. The lady in the office was definitely confused on the laws. Good to know our season is not over!!!

Comment

Seen two does being chased by bucks at different times today. Hope they keep it up for the rest of the week.

Comment

Okay WOW, so just got off the phone with the Sam Houston National Forest office and this is what I was told... you're only allowed one buck on public land for the entire state of Texas! If this is true, being i shot a buck in the Davy Crockett I'm not allowed to shoot a buck in the Sam Houston??? Going to call the actual GW and confirm, but this is not looking good for the rest of my season-

They are wrong. That's a fact
                Never mind just saw you had talked to game warden
                Last edited by Etxnoodler; 11-21-2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Okay so I just got the call from the game warden. He said you can kill a 13-inch buck in each WMA as long as they are all in separate counties.. for instance you can kill a 13-inch buck in the DCNF you can kill another 13 inch buck in the SHNF and then go to another WMA in a different County and take a third Buck. The lady in the office was definitely confused on the laws. Good to know our season is not over!!!

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                  They are wrong.
                  Yep, you eventually got the correct info.

You are perfectly legal shooting another 13" buck in the Sam, after shooting your buck in the DCNF. But HF's comment is correct, the buck limit in the Sam is 1 and done brother.

Comment

Sorry, that was me posting on my wife's computer and she was logged in!

Comment

Keep in mind the SHNF encompasses 3 counties but you can't kill one buck within the SHNF from each of those counties. I know most of y'all already know that though.

Comment

That phone call to the SHNF office really messed me all up, Haha

I THOUGHT thats how the laws were, but that lady really had me second guessing myself... anyhow, back on track and ready to get back in the tree. Goin for the Public Land Slam!!

Comment

That phone call to the SHNF office really messed me all up, Haha

I THOUGHT thats how the laws were, but that lady really had me second guessing myself... anyhow, back on track and ready to get back in the tree. Goin for the Public Land Slam!!

Good luck!

You've got me inspired to hunt the DCNF now. It's just such a long haul from Katy, but I've scouted a couple spots that I believe a giant lives in.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                            Good luck!

You've got me inspired to hunt the DCNF now. It's just such a long haul from Katy, but I've scouted a couple spots that I believe a giant lives in.

I'm itching to get back up there myself. Putting together a trip for one of the other WMAs in early December... probably go to Trinity County, there's just something about those woods up there [emoji41]

Comment

I'm itching to get back up there myself. Putting together a trip for one of the other WMAs in early December... probably go to Trinity County, there's just something about those woods up there [emoji41]

Need a caddy to carry your stand and bow to the tree?

Comment

Deer everywhere this weekend. We saw over 30. Most were does. 6 were bucks. Not a single spike among them. Small 4 and 6 pointers. However on Sunday a big racked 6 came by at 50 yards from right to left. I whistled, grunted, bleeted nothing would stop him. Tall tines and deep forks. He had a small body from my view. I could never get him to look my direction. I could not see 13" on him from the side so he walked on by. I sure hope someone does not get tempted to ground check this one. He will be a good one next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X