No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so I gotta question for you guys....as far as feeders or even throwing food out, how much prior to the start of the season do you all start feeding?

Comment

I like to set a few spots in july and see what bucks are in area when in velvet

Comment

Originally posted by raider0525 View Post
        so I gotta question for you guys....as far as feeders or even throwing food out, how much prior to the start of the season do you all start feeding?

30-60 days has worked well in the past for me. Really it is a personal preference because it depends how much you want to spend. If you hunt the trails and hand toss the morning or evening that even works.

Comment

Originally posted by raider0525 View Post
          Dang sure don't leave anything out there that you don't mind losing. There are no good sorry thieves out there also.

Comment

Me and my buddy are planning on coming down from Midland for a day or two next weekend to do some scouting around and maybe bag a few birds, the last time I was out there was about five years ago and it was pretty sketchy as far as meth heads dumping trash everywhere and dumbasses shooting bullets in all directions, just wondering if it has gotten any better, and what's the best area to get away from that crap. Also need to know is camping allowed anywhere in the reservoir or only in dedicated areas? Id appreciate any help, thx in advance

Comment

From Tpwd it says that camping is allowed along the bank in most places. I'm headed that way today to do some scouting and hopefully bag a bird. I'll be camping out to and will be glad to share some info with you. I wouldn't listen to anything I say about turkey as I'm pretty new to it but I ought to be able to help y'all out with some camping spots anyway. Anybody sees a skinny guy with a tan jeep shooting a pse stop and say hey!

Comment

Has anyone gotten any birds? Thinking of taking a trip down there this coming weekend.

Comment

Anybody out here today?

Comment

Does anybody have an opinion on whether the $48 for the APH would be worth spending this year to hunt San Angelo SP? I am considering and wonder what you guys think? Also is it possible to scout around prior to paying the fee to see if you want to hunt it?

Comment

Originally posted by howhandi View Post
                      Does anybody have an opinion on whether the $48 for the APH would be worth spending this year to hunt San Angelo SP? I am considering and wonder what you guys think? Also is it possible to scout around prior to paying the fee to see if you want to hunt it?
                      This is what I do. I pay the $48 APH so I can dove hunt and bow hunt. All of my scouting is done during dove season.

Comment

Thank you Toddcaster. I am considering going out to the SP this year. I am just not sure whether the additional $48 is worth whats out there. We will see how finances work out at the end of jul.

Comment

Well it ain't a bad price for hunting considering the price of leases today. It will be worth it for bow season. I talked to a few guys that hunted it all year last year and they said it got crowded after bow season. I am not certain but you may have to have that permit just to set foot on the grounds out there.

Comment

You do have to have the permit to step on. I do like Toddcaster and scout during dove. My son and I hunt there because like Duramax said its a whole lot cheaper than a lease which is not in my budget with kid in college. There are a lot of deer but the better ones do go nocturnal when the pressure increases. I did see a few really nice bucks during the rut but never hard a chance to let an arrow fly on one of the good ones. Did get a spike late season. It is a place you need to put in a little time pre hunt. Don't expect to come out and wander around and find something. These deer are very wary with all the people running around. All I have talked to that have had success have put in the time to scout and work their way deep in. It can be done. Between myself, son and FIL we harvested 9 deer in last 2 years between the SP and TB. I put in around 30 sits for that 1 spike last year. If you have time to put into it then it's more than worth the $48 but if you can only run out there 3 or 4 times for a quick hunt then you will be wasting your time and money.

All that said and we don't know what the dates available this year will be yet. They did several prescribed burns this year and they actually have a few gun hunts this year in the drawn hunts. They tend to greatly shorten the bow season when they have gun hunts which they haven't had the last two tears. Waiting for the book to come out still.

Comment

Thank for your input guys. I am probably going to do that this year. I have had some success on TBR and plan to continue there and late season I have a friend out in Christoval that is going to allow me to go there with my young daughter so she can get her first deer. She will be a bowhunter soon but for now she has a Savage 7mm-08 and so we will see.

Comment

I've been hunting TBR for about 4 years now and I was asked by a friend if people were allowed to carry CHL. I told him that it was bow and shotgun only, but he was more wanting to carry for self protection from some of the idiots i told him that go out there sometimes. I do not have a CHL so I don't know the correct answer for him, since i never looked into it myself.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X