THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
    Drove out last Saturday. Some of the areas we plan to dove hunt the water has receded around 100 yds from its high spot. Not enough to expose huge areas to deer hunt but the vegetation is low where the water has receded so should make easier finding birds. That’s problem with deer hunting. Even if water recedes a lot more there isn’t going to be any cover for deer in any old spots. Regardless, still like seeing the lake with lots of water even if it reduces hunting area.

Last year everything just seemed to be overgrown with weeds/vegetation with no cattle around to trample or eat it. Could hardly fight our way thru to get to prior year hunting areas. I wouldn’t mind a little less vegetation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Still a bunch of vegetation out there. Just as bad if not worse than last year. Lead in the area I went

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
        Still a bunch of vegetation out there. Just as bad if not worse than last year. Lead in the area I went

For me it’s no big deal but early last year I couldn’t even find my BILs spot and I had gps coordinates. He had to take a machete and cut a shooting lane from his blind to his corn. Prior to that he said the only deer he saw were in 2 second glimpses as they bound from spot to spot.

Comment

I was looking at the new public lands map and it shows a new bow only area as 10. Does anybody have any knowledge of this?

Comment

Originally posted by howhandi View Post
            I was looking at the new public lands map and it shows a new bow only area as 10. Does anybody have any knowledge of this?

Jason(TGW) on here has been trying for a several years to get this area approved for hunting. Glad he finally got it approved. Some hold up from the feds I believe. I have seen a lot of deer going in and out of that area in the mornings when I hunted area 8. It’s only 250-300yds wide but 3 miles long. The good thing is if you see a truck at the fence you know that area is taken and need to move a 1/4 - 1/2 mile down. Not sure how good the hunting will be when it starts to get some pressure but I have seen some nice deer there. Area is almost all mesquite and cactus with a little cedar in a few spots. I can tell you when I hunted 8 before you can’t just throw up a popup and expect deer to come near. They are very wary of pop ups unless you can brush it in and let it sit a day or two before occupying it. Might be a good place for a mirror blind so you can just walk in a sit somewhere on a trail. I’ll probably give the place a try if not to crowded.

Comment

Camping and Stolen Property

Hey there my friend and I were going to come to this PHL Oct 3 and camp a day or two for some turkey and deer hunting. We plan on camping and I was wondering if I need to worry about theft at all. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by cgcaples12 View Post
                Hey there my friend and I were going to come to this PHL Oct 3 and camp a day or two for some turkey and deer hunting. We plan on camping and I was wondering if I need to worry about theft at all. Thanks for the replies.

Theft has been an issue in the past years. We had a blind and a chair disappear 2 years ago when my son walked back to the truck 1/4 mile away and when he got back an hour later his blind and chair was gone. Many others have had the same thing happen. Last year we camped and leaving the camp for a few hours each morning and evening and we had no problems.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dukota01;15100065]Theft has been an issue in the past years. We had a blind and a chair disappear 2 years ago when my son walked back to the truck 1/4 mile away and when he got back an hour later his blind and chair was gone. Many others have had the same thing happen. Last year we camped and leaving the camp for a few hours each morning and evening and we had no problems.

Great, thank you for the info!

Comment

Well.. No luck on opening day. Very little sign, but ended up seeing a couple does..
                    Also killed a big old rattle snake that was below my wife’s stand.

Comment

Nice to know.

What area?

Comment

I saw some does and a young buck a couple hundred yards away. Sat for 5 hours in my new saddle harness, all in all had a pretty good day. Digging the saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by aarongray View Post
                          I saw some does and a young buck a couple hundred yards away. Sat for 5 hours in my new saddle harness, all in all had a pretty good day. Digging the saddle.
                          I’m just jealous you found a tree big enough to climb lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jgriffith View Post
                            I’m just jealous you found a tree big enough to climb lol
                            Hahaha well... I'm only up in the tree about 8 feet or so.

The tree isn't very thick, but if Dan Infalt can hang from a 4 inch diameter tree my 170lb *** can hang from an 8 inch tree. I might have gotten busted by a doe by sitting down to quickly (I feel a lot safer and so move quicker.. need to work on that), but also I saw that doe 300 yards away spooking every which way. Gonna hunt every morning and evening this weekend and get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by aarongray View Post
                              Hahaha well... I'm only up in the tree about 8 feet or so.

The tree isn't very thick, but if Dan Infalt can hang from a 4 inch diameter tree my 170lb *** can hang from an 8 inch tree. I might have gotten busted by a doe by sitting down to quickly (I feel a lot safer and so move quicker.. need to work on that), but also I saw that doe 300 yards away spooking every which way. Gonna hunt every morning and evening this weekend and get it done.
                              Good luck man! I may be back out there this weekend. We’re needing some cooler weather ASAP

Comment

These undisciplined hunters out here walking to their stand at 8:30am are pissing me off. I have a camera way at the back side of a unit and have pictures of these guys walking around clueless. I may be done with TB. Have had too much stuff stolen and tired of dumb people scaring deer away. I would be fine with crowded hunting areas if the guys knew what they were doing and were getting in quietly and hour before sunrise. I am thankful though that nothing has been stolen this year though.

Comment

Working...
                                X