Shnf 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
    And nice shooting SR! Someone just turned me on to trad shooting. (No one that's broke needs to hang around Tod!) Can't wait to start marking things off the list like you've done. I can see my compound being in the classifieds soon too.
    It can bite ya pretty hard. I am really enjoying the journey.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
      (No one that's broke needs to hang around Tod!) .
      Says the man with all that oil field money

Comment

I enjoyed the bow fishing. But I can't see leaving my compounds. I know me. If I shot recurve i would take it to field shoots.

Comment

The challenge is great. That's why I like it so much more than compounds. I just need to buckle down and actually hunt with it, but I feel like I can make better/more ethical shots with the compound, seeing as how I haven't killed much with a bow yet and my nerves are still super high.

But it's just like Dmack and his compounds, always excited and looking towards the next bow. Got my eyes set on a Fox Triple Crown. A high wrist longbow. Not a fan of low wrist equipment. Thank Rod Jenkins for that... And bought more arrows tonight. It's never ending! C'mon Vanderpool!!!!

Comment

I almost forgot. I think I found a new trick for the newbies. This year lets do this to some of the trees on the trails.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
              I almost forgot. I think I found a new trick for the newbies. This year lets do this to some of the trees on the trails.
              That ain't funny! I swear someone beat you to it. Dang punks!

Im never going back to that spot!!!

Comment

On the ethical point, I agree. I limit myself to inside 15 yards on my shots on game. My deer this year was at 12 yards. That Javi was inside 10.

With trad gear, it is all about getting closer.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  On the ethical point, I agree. I limit myself to inside 15 yards on my shots on game. My deer this year was at 12 yards. That Javi was inside 10.

With trad gear, it is all about getting closer.
                  That's where it's hard for me. I'm horrible at close range. I gap shoot and have to aim so low at close range that I can never make myself aim as low as I need to, so I always seem to spine shot targets. I'm better with long distance, 30 yards and up. But in an adrenaline rush situation I doubt I could steady my arms enough to not make a bad shot. Really have to get better with the close up shots.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                    That's where it's hard for me. I'm horrible at close range. I gap shoot and have to aim so low at close range that I can never make myself aim as low as I need to, so I always seem to spine shot targets. I'm better with long distance, 30 yards and up. But in an adrenaline rush situation I doubt I could steady my arms enough to not make a bad shot. Really have to get better with the close up shots.
                    String walk. I have the same problem because I shoot a PCH which has a 3" cutout and I shoot gap. So inside 10 yards, I have dont have my finger touch the nock, but rather about 1/2" below it. It is basically at the bottom edge of my bottom nocking point.

Shunned for 3D, but when hunting, you do what you gotta do to make the shot go where you are looking.

I prefer 12 yard shots.

Comment

String walk. I have the same problem because I shoot a PCH which has a 3" cutout and I shoot gap. So inside 10 yards, I have dont have my finger touch the nock, but rather about 1/2" below it. It is basically at the bottom edge of my bottom nocking point.

Shunned for 3D, but when hunting, you do what you gotta do to make the shot go where you are looking.

I prefer 12 yard shots.
                      Because of the 3d rules I've pretty much shunned the idea of it in favor of being persistent in trying to perfect just one method. My anchor point is my cheek bone so it won't take much and I'll have feather i my eye. Having my anchor that high, my point on is still somewhere around 35 yards or so. So closer to point on is where i get consistent, at least with my recurve. My longbow is something totally different. I shoot a 50 lb roland Jenkins recurve and a sarrels black hills longbow at 45 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                        Because of the 3d rules I've pretty much shunned the idea of it in favor of being persistent in trying to perfect just one method. My anchor point is my cheek bone so it won't take much and I'll have feather i my eye. Having my anchor that high, my point on is still somewhere around 35 yards or so. So closer to point on is where i get consistent, at least with my recurve. My longbow is something totally different. I shoot a 50 lb roland Jenkins recurve and a sarrels black hills longbow at 45 lbs
                        Yep, I go corner of mouth so feather is not an issue. For 3D, not alot of shots inside 10 yards so I don't worry. And if there are... its foam, it doesnt move the string walk is just for those really close shots on game.

Comment

Yep, I go corner of mouth so feather is not an issue. For 3D, not alot of shots inside 10 yards so I don't worry. And if there are... its foam, it doesnt move the string walk is just for those really close shots on game.
                          I started out corner of mouth. Rod jenkins changed that. He proved that i was wasting a lot of potential energy, and that getting my draw elbow more in a straight line with my bow arm, like we do with compounds, helps reduce throwing arrows from bad form. It worked as i got a lot better. Now if I could just buckle down enough to follow through with the bridge method, maybe I could be buckling at shoots. I keep trying to go through with the bridge but life keeps getting in the way.

Comment

Honestly, when you get out there with it, you'll figure it out. Everybody has to figure out thier own style. Every bow is different. You get a feel for it. You just have to say... I am going to do this and adapt.

Comment

Heck, 4 years or so I've been shooting trad and i still don't have anything figured out. As soon as i do, i end up going a month without shooting and then have to relearn. Things always change. Right now im struggling hard! Have had shoulder issues and didnt shoot since last September.

Comment

And I am no great shooter. In fact I am in the bottom 1/2 of 3D shooters, if not the bottom 1/4. But I can almost always hit the 8 ring inside 12.

Comment

Working...
                                X