No announcement yet.

Public lake duck hunting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will add a bit more to the already great list of suggestions.

Waterfowling is an art, not an excuse to go shoot stuff. There is a long history and culture associated with water fowling that many young shooters seem to miss. If you try hunting ducks for the first time, try to view it as learning a new language or how to live in a foreign culture. Read books not just about how to kill ducks, but about the history of waterfowling, call making, decoy carving, etc. Many of the old school techniques work better than the modern gadget heavy approach. Study up on what ducks eat, how to ID ducks, shot gunning techniques, etc. When you head into the field, do so with the intention to learn something rather than to kill something. Every time. And decide in your head that if you get some time outside and you learn something about ducks, you were successful.

Many of the younger generation are coming into the sport expecting it to be like the tv shows. Matching camo sets, face paint, beards, sponsor stickers, beautiful flawless decoys, countless electronic gadgets, $20k boats, $1.5k shotguns, $200 duck neon duck calls on a lanyard full of bands they bought on eBay, and a race to see who can kill the fastest limit of the best ducks and get it posted online to brag. None of the things on that list are bad, but you know the guy I'm talking about. Those guys tend to fall away when the hunting gets tough because they aren't in it for the experience and they don't get the culture and heritage.

Chances are, walking in on public land with no mentor, it's gonna be a while before you figure it out well enough to consistently kill birds. It may be a while before you kill a single duck. You're gonna fall in the water, get stuck in the mud, lose stuff, get set up on by a loud mouth that owns the lake, get peppered, shoot and miss a bunch, get real cold and real wet, and generally have some miserable experiences long before you ever figure it out. If you treat all of that as an introduction, a hazing experience, the first awkward words in a new language, you can persevere and find a new, life long obsession that will call out to you every time you see a body of water or hear a goose overhead in the Fall.

And when you do finally figure it out... When it finally just all clicks... It's a lot more than just a limit. It's a language that speaks to you like no other can.

Comment

All info here is great. Best advise I could give you is just go out and hunt. You're future knowledge will be from your early mistakes. I hardly ever use more than 24 decoys and never use Mojos on public land. Practice calling while not hunting. Find a pond or lake and listen to the birds. That's the best way to learn how to call. I call when I see their tail feathers or they are a long ways out. I love to call and I'm pretty good at it but I don't sit out and blow at them all day long. Does more damage than good in most situations. Have fun, enjoy, and post pics

Comment

Originally posted by NelsonV View Post
        All info here is great. Best advise I could give you is just go out and hunt. You're future knowledge will be from your early mistakes. I hardly ever use more than 24 decoys and never use Mojos on public land. Practice calling while not hunting. Find a pond or lake and listen to the birds. That's the best way to learn how to call. I call when I see their tail feathers or they are a long ways out. I love to call and I'm pretty good at it but I don't sit out and blow at them all day long. Does more damage than good in most situations. Have fun, enjoy, and post pics
        Good advice here. Curious about your Mojo caveat. Is there a regulation against this or just etiquette? I know that I have been set up across a large inlet from a group with a Mojo and couldn't come close to competing in attracting ducks against that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          Good advice here. Curious about your Mojo caveat. Is there a regulation against this or just etiquette? I know that I have been set up across a large inlet from a group with a Mojo and couldn't come close to competing in attracting ducks against that thing.

Early season Mojo's are OK. But by the time the real ducks get down they've seen every MoJo known to man. Ducks are smarter than people give them credit for. It may just be me or my experience but later the season the more flaring I get when using Mojos. I also use less decoys as the season goes on. Sometimes I only use 6 magnum decoys when hunting. But like I states above that's what I've learned during my duck hunting adventures.

Comment

^ Real duck hunters see mojo as cheating? idk if there is such a thing as "Trad Duck Hunting"

*i don't know y'all do or not...ive had my eye on a Mojo wing Thang because it was simpler.

Comment

Seek, adapt, and conquer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-21-10_1124 (Small).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	24346535

Comment

We pulled the spinning wing decoys this eek and will not use them again until we hunt divers on the Laguna madre. They are effective at attracting ducks from long range, but the bigger ducks get wise to them pretty quick when every spread from Canada to Mexico has three of them flashing away. We use them on fresh birds and pull them when we start seeing the birds get shy.

For decoy numbers, go one way or the other as the season goes on. In the marsh we will gradually go to as few as 8 decoys, even on big lakes. The less wind we have the fewer decoys we use. On the open bays we do the opposite and have hunted over 30 dozen many times. You have to be different than every joe out there with 3 dozen decoys and a spinner.

Comment

You guys are awesome! I forgot to check this for a few days and came back to a whole bunch of replies. Thanks for the pointers everybody, I really appreciate it. The soonest I can get back out to look around will be this weekend so I'll do a little hunt/scout and see what I can make happen with all this great knowledge.
                  Hey castandblast, did you hunt from the shore or from a boat on Somerville?

Comment

Working...
                  X