Public lake duck hunting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy! I have a few questions for some of you savvy duck hunters.
    I have always hunted ponds on private property and I am having a hard time with hunting on a lake and I'm wondering if anyone can give pointers. I won't be hunting out of a boat and there won't be any permanent blinds. I'm not trying to steal anybody's spot, I am just looking for a little assistance.
    My questions would be:
    What size/type of spread do you recommend?
    Should I be hunting points or inlets or does it just depend on the wind?
    Is there certain vegation commonly found on lake shores that I should be looking for to put me in a good spot?
    Should I even bother bringing duck calls?
    And when I have ducks passing by 150-200 yards out that are showing no interest should I even bother trying to bring them in?
    Once again, I've never hunted a lake before so be gentle, these may be stupid questions. Any help is appreciated!

Go scout and find the birds. Where they sit is where you want to set up your spread.
    That may be a point or an inlet...who knows? Play the wind the best you can. Most species land in to the wind, but some don't seem to care.
    Try your best to represent the species present and in similar quantities.
    Most people that think they can blow a duck call actually can't. So take that for what it's worth.

Public hunting isn't any harder than private hunting. It just takes a little more work and tolerance of people who don't get it.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Will do.
      I just figured that there were a few things that may be different then hunting a pond, that's why I was asking. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Any pointers on calling techniques/what types of calls to use for birds on a lake? I may be thinking too much into this but we just aren't having a lot of luck with birds actually coming in to the spread.

Comment

I'm pretty new to duck hunting as well, but in the small amount of time I have been duck hunting I have learned less is more with calling, unless you are perfect, you will probably scare away ducks using a mallard hen call(normal duck call), I suggest getting a pintail whistle and practice with that, and using it sparingly

Comment

Usually want the wind at your back so the birds will land into the wind in front of you. I like hunting inlets because it usually has calmer water and more little holes for them to get food and out of the wind. I'll call to get their attention and then let them come in on their own. I've been hunting with only about 2 dozen decoys and called in a flock of 40 mallards no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JHB4 View Post
              Usually want the wind at your back so the birds will land into the wind in front of you. I like hunting inlets because it usually has calmer water and more little holes for them to get food and out of the wind. I'll call to get their attention and then let them come in on their own. I've been hunting with only about 2 dozen decoys and called in a flock of 40 mallards no problem.
              If you hunt the inlets for calmer water do you use a jerk string or anything for motion? Were you using mallard decoys?

Comment

A spotlight is not a flame. You are not a moth.

Scouting and GPS are your best friends. Lots and lots of scouting.

Comment

Like most said. Go scout the area you want to hunt.

When you find the spot that the birds are in, you've found the "X." Set up there the next morning and the wait for the birds to return.

Try and see where the birds take off and come from. If you go the next morning to find someone already set up on the x, you'll want to set up for crossing shots along the ducks flight path.

Do your best to not set up on someone, or be prepared to get an ear full.

And as a general rule, if you can't tell what type of bird you're shooting, then its to far away, so please, please, please don't shoot at it. AKA Skybusting.

An easy call to learn on, ,IMO, is the double nasty II by buck gardner. Learn a basic quack, and remember, less is more. The call is really just to get a high flying ducks to see your spread.

The size of the spread starts off large at the begging of the season, but by close to the end, you can get away with only a few deeks.

Sounds like you're walking in, so you'll be limited by what you are able to carry.

Goodluck.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                    Like most said. Go scout the area you want to hunt.

When you find the spot that the birds are in, you've found the "X." Set up there the next morning and the wait for the birds to return.

Try and see where the birds take off and come from. If you go the next morning to find someone already set up on the x, you'll want to set up for crossing shots along the ducks flight path.

Do your best to not set up on someone, or be prepared to get an ear full.

And as a general rule, if you can't tell what type of bird you're shooting, then its to far away, so please, please, please don't shoot at it. AKA Skybusting.

An easy call to learn on, ,IMO, is the double nasty II by buck gardner. Learn a basic quack, and remember, less is more. The call is really just to get a high flying ducks to see your spread.

The size of the spread starts off large at the begging of the season, but by close to the end, you can get away with only a few deeks.

Sounds like you're walking in, so you'll be limited by what you are able to carry.

Goodluck.
                    Thanks for all the pointers! I really appreciate it.

Comment

I hunt several public lakes from the bank or using my kayak to reach spots. The key is scouting scouting scouting. If you don't have time to scout find the best spot you can and just throw out a few decoys, if the birds start stacking up a few hundred yards away don't be afraid to pick up and move...just be mindful of other hunters.

I usually only put out 6-36 decoys. I like smaller spreads, they are easier to make look more realistic and easier to pick up and move if I can see a spot where more birds are landing. I like using a mixed group of decoys with wigeons, teal, gadwall, mallards, pintails or ringnecks for color.

I almost always set up a jerk cord unless the wind is howling. I stay away from using mojos on public land most of the time.

I don't call very much, if the birds are heading my direction I will usually just watch and see what they do. If there coming in I shut up. Maybe do a few small feeder calls. I might do a few louder hails and quacks if I'm just trying to get a groups attention that don't see me. Never hurts to try and get there attention if they don't see you. I have had hunts set up near groups of hunters that call all morning and I never called once and I still shot more birds.

Also, said earlier, DO NOT SKYBLAST and if a group is working other hunters decoys do not start hail calling to draw the the birds away from them. That makes you a ****

Comment

I've always had my best hunts after doing lots of scouting and finding the ducks before going out and just setting up somewhere.

Comment

Scouting first is the key. Thanks for all the good info guys.

Comment

These guys have given you all good suggestions. I may add few.
                            I hunt on public land without using boat too. And I usually walk as far as I could to avoid crowd. Of cause, I would pick some places that boat can hardly approach as well. By doing so, the amount of decoys is limited by your carry capability. I bought a best decoy backpack I can find, so it makes the job a little easier. I would bring 12 big duck decoys, one full size mojo, wader and wading boots, some thick clothes, a piece of camo cloth, a small chair, a hiking stick, a homemade retriever, 2 boxes of shell and a shotgun. Yes, I put all into backpack. Overall, it may weight 60-70lb.
                            I don't use boat and don't have dog neither, so I like to let wind blow into my face. I know this may not be duck's favor, but, I would like the wind to help me bring the dropped bird to my side. I have experience that a dropped bird was blew back from hundred yards away.
                            I may also pick a litter bigger size shot, like #2. I would like to overkill the ducks so that they would have less chances to glide far.
                            Since I have limited time to do the scouting, so I would pick a spot from the map first time, then my first couple hunts would be hunting plus scouting. The birds have their own highway. After few trips, you will figure out where the most birds fly.
                            As well as call, like others said, if you are not sure what you do, then no call is better than a bad call. Pintail and/or teal whistle is a good start.

Comment

The answer to all of your questions is ... "It depends". Anyone that answers those questions without knowing more about your hunting situation is strictly guessing or speaking from their own experience that is probably different than your public hunting scenario.

I will say that less is more in almost any public situation. When you scout, scout for ducks and scout for other hunters. Go where the ducks are and do something different than the other hunters. I.E. Leave your mallard calls in your truck, forget your mojos, etc.

More movement in your decoys is better than more numbers. More cover is better than more blind. Personally, I would rather stand next to a tree than sit in a blind. The ducks are used to a tree, they aren't used to a boat blind.

Like I said, we do not know your situation, so our advice is limited. Personally, I have hunted public land ranging from Rockport to Lake Grapevine/Lake Lavon with Lake Somerville and Big Boggy in between. I do know a little about public bird hunting, but my knowledge is limited to the areas I have hunted,
                              Last edited by CastAndBlast; 11-19-2014, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X