No announcement yet.

sommerville wma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out there Saturday and had the the fever. First time to draw and did not release on time. I was stalk hunting and pussed the doe to someone else that took her she was about 120-150 when we draged her out. It was not crowded at all very nice week end.

Comment

I went Sun. morining at unit #1. Went in about 1/4 mile and setup. But all I saw was and big'o owl doing the same thing I was doing (hunting) at one point the owl pounce on something about 10 yds in front of me. It was around 8 didn't think they were out that late in the morning. Til next time.

Comment

It was not crowded at all very nice week end.
        All the sam houstion national forest guys have been watching this thread and decided not to go because everyone assumed it would be super crowded, they were wrong. Also alot of people still cleaning up after the hurricane.
        Last edited by boss bowman; 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I spotted several turkeys on the North unit while scouting two weeks ago, I think they are part of a reintroduction project by TPWD started a couple years ago. So I don't think they are fair game. Not in Burleson County anyway.
          Oh yeah and the copperheads must be "in rut" also. Saw three within about 2 hours.

Comment

Were the pot holes full of water from Ike?

Comment

Dave ,
              It was drier than a pop corn F**t. I walked places that are always under water.

Comment

Really,
                That's interesting. Usually after a strong rain that place floods out pretty easily. That might change some of my ideas.

Comment

they didnt get much rain from ike and the little they got was soaked up right away.

extremely dry

Comment

Just got back from two days at Somerville. Saw nine deer, no shots. Last noght at around 6 I had a huge hog (im guessing 200lbs) run through the creek bed to within twenty yards. I shot him at about ten and watched him along with my arrow dissapear into the river bottom. I didn't find any blood or my arrow last night and went out again and found nothing. Them things are tough to take a "RAGE IN THE CAGE" like that. Anyways, I was hunting nails about 3/4 back if anyone comes across a rotting hog with a Full Metal Jacket and two blade Rage in him. If the arrow or the broadhead isn't bad I'd like it back. Thanks. Also, another guy shot a doe this mourning and couldn't find it. It must be something is the creek that keeps theses critters alive. I will be back in two weeks or so. Hopefully there will be acorns on the ground and it will be cooler. Good luck guys.

And it is very dry out there, they need rain.

Comment

Going out to Somerville Monday and Thursday!!! Anyone been out there?

Comment

i made a great shot on a big pig out there once, had to be in the heart if not it was very close. I had to track 150yds before i found it

good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by belly_up View Post
                          i made a great shot on a big pig out there once, had to be in the heart if not it was very close. I had to track 150yds before i found it

good luck!!

Yea, my shot angled up through the cavity as he was quartering away but I still only got like four inches of penetration. Im thinking maybe the head hit an offside rib and bounced back outward.

Comment

I have hunted the past two days and no deer or hogs. I did see a white armadillo yesterday and took a shot at a trophy cottontail. I was just a shade low, maybe next time...

Comment

Originally posted by wbhinton View Post
                              I have hunted the past two days and no deer or hogs. I did see a white armadillo yesterday and took a shot at a trophy cottontail. I was just a shade low, maybe next time...
                              Im heading out there again friday for and all day hunt. You know what they say, a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work. Im thinking with the front coming in over the weekend that is gonna bring us cooler temperatures that maybe they will move a little earlier. The deer are out there. Im thinking it will be fun out there during the rut.

Comment

I will be back next weekend . This weekend is set aside for Aransas.

Comment

Working...
                                X