Official Davy Crockett 2014-2015 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Davy Crockett 2014-2015 Thread

Hi everyone I figured we should go ahead and get a new thread started for this year. I've been hunting the Davy Crockett every year for the past 35 years. Wishing everyone the best of luck and excited about the upcoming weekend the big boys should be on the move

Are talking about near louisiana, if so does it all work out there been wanting to go

Comment

Originally posted by Cali_hunter86 View Post
      Are talking about near louisiana, if so does it all work out there been wanting to go
      You're probably thinking about the Sabine National Forest. The Davy Crockett National Forest is more west between Crockett and Lufkin. Looking at where you live it would be less of a drive as well. The Sam Houston NF is an option as well and has more acreage.

Comment

Gonna go ahead an post the usual links for any new folks to DCNF hunting

Forest maps: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/...fswdev3_008441

Alabama Creek WMA map & info: https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwil.../media/904.pdf

The old 2013-2014 thread. Good place for new folks to look for FAQs: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=395467

Wear your orange, tell someone where you're going, and stay hooked up to your tree!

Good luck to all!!

Comment

Following!

Comment

also, you dont get real good cell reception at alabama creek spotty at best. i always leave coordinates with a buddy and if he dont here from me by midnight he knows what to do i carry gps and compass, w extra batteries. i set my gps toi nad83 and use the UTM system that way if any of my friends get hurt alls they have to do is tell me the digits and i can find them. of the 3 guys i hunt with i set them all alike all carry whistles and have a red safety light that blinks, if you get lost in alabama creek (its easy to do) it could be a while before you find your way out

Comment

following

Comment

I haven't hunted the DCNF since I went to SFA in mid 2000's. Loved it there. Plan on going up there the weekend after Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas.

Comment

I carry a GPS there as well , everything looks the same after dark out there

Comment

Just remember, anything electronic can fail. And every GPS I have tried has a hard time connecting when under the trees. I carry a standard compass and I always have a general idea of what roads i am in between. Plus, with good scouting, you learn different landmarks pretty well.

Comment

I'll start the question and answer session: Is it legal to use wheeled carts,i.e. deer cart to retrieve a downed deer? To carry your stand in?

I only ask 'cause I'll be ~a mile from a road closure gate. I really don't want to drag a deer a mile. I don't think I could.

Comment

yes sir i use a game cart and my mountain bike thats how i move my stands, carry my climber etc, im so far in down a closed road it would be impossible to walk in hunt carry game out etc, i found riding my mountain bike its very quiet moving from location to location. another good point is to always bring a compas as well. i always have topo maps as well and no the area im hunting as well. As another poster mentioned it all looks the same after dark. my gps is pretty good i get glo mass plus USA satelites which is russian and usa sattelites so far no lost signals even under the heaviest canopy

Comment

Thanks howie.

I'm considering put wheels(somehow) on a ladder stand so I'll have options on stand setups. Got a climber, but I was wanting a bit of flexibility. Also, it was gonna cost a considerable chunk of change for a dedicated cart, might as well make it dual purpose for a bit more.

Ben out carrying my climber around the countryside where I live and it seems to carry ok, but I've also got a pack that needs toten', for odds and ends. Exploring ways to attach it to the climber. Things might get heavy and/or burdensome.

A decent cart/stand setup up might make things somewhat more workable.

Comment

Sat all day yesterday and did not see a thing. My friend Freight Mover was at another spot
                            he also saw nothing.

Comment

Im going to go down and scout a little this weekend. Hope to have friday off so I can get an extra day in. Ill update when I get back if I make it down there.

Comment

Working...
                              X