• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subscribed

Comment

I called the park today.
      You cannot checkin until Tues.

I had planned on camping tonight and they said I could not. Now I guess I'm leaving at 4 AM

Comment

Goodluck to yall

Comment

I shot a doe on the second day.
          It rained almost the entire time we were there.

I think there were 11 deer and 9 hogs taken for this hunt. This was out if 15 hunters.

I will definitely put in for this one again.

Comment

We had a great time across the river at the annex. Killed a big boar, a six, and antlerless. Probably the most physical hunt I have every gone on.
            Last edited by Budman68; 11-06-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Good to meet you Freight Mover. It was a very fun hunt, even with all the rain. I shot two hogs and a doe and my buddy shot a big ~250 lb boar and two doe. There are some GREAT bucks running around in the park that were fun to watch even if they were off limits. Staff were great as usual. The park is overrun with hogs which was nice and made for some extra targets. I didn't hear about any exotics spotted or shot. The ranger said he does not ever see the Sika, but every year it seems like one is taken on one of the hunts. He said they do have the spanish feral goats pretty thick in parts of the park. All the hunters went home with some meat - pork or venison.

Comment

Congrats on your harvests J-Bob, Budman68 and Freight Mover!
                Last edited by rmartinjr4; 11-07-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

One of the only clear days out there.

Comment

I go on dec 8 for GDE. Just picked up a CVA Wolf, will start playing with loads this weekend. Did y'all bait? Blind? Was there more of a walk in or to get to your spot?

Comment

I baited with corn and swamp donkey. I used a pop up for the rainy days, but the deer didn't like it much. Walking is mandatory. Everything is uphill, both ways. lol.

Comment

I baited every hunt.
                        The does we're getting skiddish and it slows them down as they were passing thru.

There a ton of does at this park. You should not have an issue seeing deer.

You will get an assigned blind you will hunt the entire time. I hunted the entire first and second day we could hunt. Saw lots of deer.

I missed 1 doe and shot another. Came home with 1 But should have had 2.

Good luck.
                        I will put in for this hunt again

Comment

Also,
                          I used apple scented corn from Walmart.

I used a whole bag over a couple of days. Put it out heavy

Comment

Originally posted by Freight Mover View Post
                            Also,
                            I used apple scented corn from Walmart.

I used a whole bag over a couple of days. Put it out heavy
                            Good stuff. I used it at the Choke last year and bought some again this year. Mumme apple scented corn in 50#bag $6.98 at HEB. A little Big & J BB2 mixed in should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                            X