Pedernales Falls State Park GDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedernales Falls State Park GDA

I was lucky enough to get drawn for the doe/spike hunt at the park in Nov. I have never been there but can't wait after seeing pictures of the park. Has anyone done this one or hunt nearby and have pointers on stands, bait, places to stay, places to eat?

I live a few miles from there in henly on 290. Stay in Dripping Springs or Johnson City. Johnson City if I was you. Theres a few places to stay, eat and a few watering holes. If you want to be closer to Austin id stay in Dripping Springs. Its an awesome park and you shouldnt have any problem knocking anything down, sounds fun.

Comment

You should "search" on previous posts from there, some good info out on this site.

We did the antlerless hunt a few years ago and were successful. At that time, we drew numbers for blind assignments. Most are along service roads or open areas in the park. Nothing more than a bunch of cut cedars stacked up where you can put a chair behind but were effective. The staff was very accomodating and moved some hunters around to help them get deer. One lucky hunter was even put in the campground area and sat at a picnic table. They did allow baiting at that time so we were pretty liberal with spreading corn. Not sure about exotic harvest on this hunt, but 2 sika were shot during our hunt.

Johnson City is the closest and easiest place to stay. Couple decent, clean hotels and some restaurants as well. It's a very pretty park with alot of deer BUT it's funny how they seem to know when you are trying to shoot them. Wasn't an easy hunt but you should have an opportunity to put some meat in the freezer. Good thing about a doe/spike hunt is you don't pass on too many animals waiting for Mr. Big.

Comment

Thanks guys. Good info. I did check out the threads from past hunts there including the one where a guy took a nice goat. Exotics are free game and baiting is allowed on this one. I would be happy with anything - deer, hog or exotic.

Comment

I got drawn on an antlerless/Spike hunt here 2 years ago. Saw some big bucks! Actually saw more bucks than doe. Shot a pretty good size blonde pig at the bird observing area. I also saw a large spike here but he had a small small branch on one side so I passed. This thing is run by the park rangers and game warden. Made me nervous to mess up. I know there are exotics around so I would bring a bale of alfalfa and put out lots of corn. Keep the corn flowing and animals will show. Good Luck!

Comment

My brother shot a 135" 10pt and a very nice Sika there last year in December. Put out a ton of corn.

Comment

Good info. Plan to put out lots of corn, alfalfa. Seems like Johnson City is the place to stay. Thanks!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

good luck

Comment

I have never hunted in Pedernales Falls State Park but have spent countless days in the park and grew up hunting family land just up the road.

There are a few exotics and hogs in the area but not in large numbers. The most abundant exotic animal in the park are Spanish or Catalina goats. In fact, I think the state record was taken there recently. I have never seen a buck in the park but there are a bunch of deer. Anything over 120 is a trophy for that area.

Johnson City has become somewhat of a tourist town. They have a new La Quinta and lots of new restaurants and shops. Pecan Street Brewery on the square is very good.
                    Last edited by Sika; 10-07-2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Sika!

Comment

My son and I will be there for the first hunt dates. Really looking forward to this as well.

Comment

I'm going to be hunting the Annex section the first week of Nov. Pretty excited to hunt the hill. The way you guys are talking, I guess I need to access the amount of corn I pack in.

Comment

Packed up for the trip tomorrow, guess I need to add rain gear and a coat.

Comment

I'll be there Monday night. Can't wait
                              I plan on camping all week. It looks like bad weather on Tues

Comment

Working...
                              X