Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TRB_Outdoors View Post
    How did everyone do this year?
    filled my buck tag in Hill county on dec. 16th with a 6 point and hunted the rest of the season in bosque county without getting a shot

Comment

Thanks for the offer Tom !

Comment

Originally posted by TechHunter View Post
        filled my buck tag in Hill county on dec. 16th with a 6 point and hunted the rest of the season in bosque county without getting a shot
        Congrats on the 6 TechHunter . Question: Where can a feller catch a minner as big as the one in your avitar ? Thats one heck of a big bait!

Comment

I was told that Hill county will go this season to 2 bucks with 13" min. and three does all season combind.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Congrats on the 6 TechHunter . Question: Where can a feller catch a minner as big as the one in your avitar ? Thats one heck of a big bait!
            haha thats a grass carp i shot on a private lake wish i could help you out. I was in a tournament though this year at trading house where a guy shot a 40 pouder. mine was 55 but i'm sure there are some that big on trading house

Comment

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
              I was told that Hill county will go this season to 2 bucks with 13" min. and three does all season combind.
              Thats good to know. will the doe cut off still be around thanksgiving?

Comment

I wish they would move every county to the restriction program. I just don't see how it could hurt anything.

Comment

Originally posted by camodukhuntr View Post
                  I wish they would move every county to the restriction program. I just don't see how it could hurt anything.
                  I don't see it hurting anything over the short run, say 4-6 years. But if much longer than that, the "leagal deer", even the young ones that are 13" or better, will get tagged. Leaving the 4-8 YOA sub 13" to breed and pass on the genetics. Eventually, in pocketed areas, the +13" genetics will get shot out and racks will be leaning toward the sub 13" side. Because all the genetics of bigger racks is taken out of the group/pool.

Wonder what TP&W will do then.

"Practical management" and practical management minded people is what is really needed,........ if bigger racks is what your after. And that comes with education of ageing deer on the hoof.

It will work. But not in the long run. I mean, look at the big buck ranches. What kind of deer do they call a "cull"? Why do they take that type of deer out of the herd ?

I preffer does, old does
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-10-2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I wish they would move every county to the restriction program.
                    They pretty much are in north texas, every county within 100 miles of whitney is going to be under the antler restrictions next year, very glad hill county is finally being added, should have been done back in 2006 when bosque county got changed over IMO. For those who haven't checked it out there are going to be sweeping deer regulation changes statewide next year(antler restrictions are not the only changes that are going to affect hill and bosque counties), you can go to tpwd's website for more info.
                    Last edited by BillfromFtWorth; 02-10-2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Heres a map of the expanded antler restrictions, the counties in orange will be new for next year, the ones in green already have the regulation.

Comment

Bill, why did they do Dallas county? Thats one of my favorite places to hunt!

Comment

Texgrown, I take it your not a fan of the antler restrictions, I think they're great. Yes whoever made that map forgot to omit dallas, collin and rockwall counties up in the metromess but you get the idea. Fact is there have been way too many folks shooting young bucks they shouldn't be for too long, when everyone shoots the first thing with horns they see hill its not good for the deer herd, hill county needed the restrictions bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TechHunter View Post
                            Thats good to know. will the doe cut off still be around thanksgiving?
                            no doe cut off

Comment

Boss, You are correct. Like I said, it will only work in the shorter run. 15 or 20 years from now, everyone will wonder what happend to the 20"+ deer in north Texas. It may be good for public land at the present, and it will increase the number of bucks in those countys at the present. But as you know, most of Texas being on private land (and that ajoins most public land), we will loose more quality bucks in the long run due to the genetics of 13"-plus deer being removed from the heard. In other words, all the genetics will be shot out and you eventually will only see more older deer with sub 13" racks because all the bigger racks have been removed with thier genes

And like I said:
                              Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

"Practical management" and practical management minded people is what is really needed,........ if bigger racks is what your after. And that comes with education of ageing deer on the hoof.

It will work. But not in the long run. I mean, look at the big buck ranches. What kind of deer do they call a "cull"? Why do they take that type of deer out of the herd ?

Comment

Did we ever decide on a date and place for the get together?

Comment

Working...
                                X