No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Lake Level is 2859.45 ft so its still 81.55 feet below full pool. This time last year the lake level was 2846.47, so it is still coming up. Even with all this rain I don't think it will effect the lake level enough that I will be needing to use a boat this year. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
      Current Lake Level is 2859.45 ft so its still 81.55 feet below full pool. This time last year the lake level was 2846.47, so it is still coming up. Even with all this rain I don't think it will effect the lake level enough that I will be needing to use a boat this year. LOL
      lol I hear ya! Thanks for the report. I'm about 99% sure this is where I'll try chasing down some Whitetail and Mule Deer this year. It's my off year on heading to Colorado to hunt so this is the cheapest option for me.

Comment

Current Lake Level

I found this the other day. From best I can tell it looks to have been taken sometime this spring. It shows the water level up past Blue West.

[URL="http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=35.68660,-101.61725&z=13&t=H"]

Lake Meredith water level

Comment

That's more water than a couple years ago for sure. It's still 5 miles or so to Plum Creek, but it's getting there. Hopefully it'll continue to rain on the watershed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            That's more water than a couple years ago for sure. It's still 5 miles or so to Plum Creek, but it's getting there. Hopefully it'll continue to rain on the watershed.
            We also need ute and Conchas to fill up and dump water to us. I head ute is starting to let go of some water.

Last weekend there was a 3 year old killed in the swollen river and someone drown at the lake yesterday.

Comment

I wasn't holding out much hope for NM to ever release any water. I figure the best hope is to get rain between those lakes and Meredith.

Comment

The lake is finally over 50 feet now. First time since 09. Still a long ways to go but getting better everyday.

I heard that there is now a restocking plan going to start with bait fish this year and hame fish next year. I haven't been able to confirm this yet. I have an email from the biologist that i got a couple of months ago that said they weren't going to stock this year, so maybe things are looking good for Meredith.

Still only one ramp open but it looks like the other ramp at Fritch Fortress is usable if they would move the barricades.

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                  The lake is finally over 50 feet now. First time since 09. Still a long ways to go but getting better everyday.

I heard that there is now a restocking plan going to start with bait fish this year and hame fish next year. I haven't been able to confirm this yet. I have an email from the biologist that i got a couple of months ago that said they weren't going to stock this year, so maybe things are looking good for Meredith.

Still only one ramp open but it looks like the other ramp at Fritch Fortress is usable if they would move the barricades.
                  Think they will go back to stocking walleye?

Comment

I hope so.
                    Meredith is the only Texas lake that had natural walleye reproduction. The reproduction was good enough that they only stocked walleye occasionally with a Colorado strain to get different genes in the system.

You would think they would restock walleye just because it was so successful before.

Comment

We used to catch northern pike there too when I was a kid.

Comment

When I lived there, it was low but not too bad. I caught quite a few crappie at the fish house. I also killed a pile of ducks off the lake.

Comment

I hope so too. I miss having a close lake to fish for them. We went to Fort cobb Monday and Tuesday and caught our limit of saugeye. I forgot how much I missed eating them.

Comment

Didn't see any whitetails and less mule deer than the year before. There was a lot of brush clearing between 13 and 14 plus the fire. I did find some nice rubs in October and sat over the area a couple of days but never saw anything.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                              Didn't see any whitetails and less mule deer than the year before. There was a lot of brush clearing between 13 and 14 plus the fire. I did find some nice rubs in October and sat over the area a couple of days but never saw anything.
                              Right now I'm planning a trip there the around the last week of November and first week of December. I'm thinking about trying the area North and Northeast of the Plum Creek area. Might even try the area around Coetas Creek. I have ZERO experience with this place. Is it worth a 10hr drive to hunt? I've hunted public land in Wyoming and Colorado but don't know anything about the Lake Meredith area; other than what I've read in reports.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHunter83 View Post
                                Right now I'm planning a trip there the around the last week of November and first week of December. I'm thinking about trying the area North and Northeast of the Plum Creek area. Might even try the area around Coetas Creek. I have ZERO experience with this place. Is it worth a 10hr drive to hunt? I've hunted public land in Wyoming and Colorado but don't know anything about the Lake Meredith area; other than what I've read in reports.
                                I've only been during bow season. Don't expect to go out there and kill a giant, or anything for that matter, but if you like to cover ground it's the place. If you like hunting out west I think you'll like Meredith. It's a lot of walking and glassing. As for those spots, plum creek (west of) has fairly easy road access so I would expect that to have a lot of pressure during gun season though it is one of the best looking bottoms I've sat over. Coetes creek is ok. Where the mouth of that draw enters the Canadian river bottom, is only a few hundred yards back to the fence line but it's an easy walk from mullinaw then just hop on that last ridge before you get there. It will probably be a popular spot during gun season too for that reason. You can camp anywhere out there for free, just no fires unless you're at a campground with a ring. Take some good optics and just be patient. I've sat for hours in a spot where i can see miles only to have deer pop up right in front of me. They're there, and hard to spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X