No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drought, coyotes, poachers.... probably a combination of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Drought, coyotes, poachers.... probably a combination of things.

Yep. I lived in Fritch for a couple years. I hunted the at the lake a few times because it was right down the road. I wonder what Meredith looks like now?

Comment

Check out Google maps or Google Earth satellite views. There is no water outside the river bed at Fritch. You have to get north of Fritch to get to the lake. The boat ramps around Plum Creek and Alibates are miles away from the water.

Comment

It was low when I lived there but you could still get a boat in. We used to duck hunt a lot on the lake and in the potholes of the river. It was one of the most scenic places I've ever duck hunted.

Comment

I should have taken my shotgun last year. In 2013 the lake bed in front of Martin's Canyon was dry and full of whitetails, last year it had about 1 to 2 foot of water on it and covered with ducks!!! From up on the canyon rim you could hear them quacking...hundreds maybe thousands of them. I will take the shotgun from now on just incase.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Check out Google maps or Google Earth satellite views. There is no water outside the river bed at Fritch. You have to get north of Fritch to get to the lake. The boat ramps around Plum Creek and Alibates are miles away from the water.
              I've lived here for 42 years. The lake has to be over 90' to reach these ramps. I've only seen it once. The lake has more water in it than it's had in the last 3 years and is still rising slowly. The only ramp open is in South Canyon. The water is deep enough to use the Fritch Fortress ramp to but the park service hasn't opened it back up yet.
              All the fish died about 3 years ago when it was hit with golden algae. State says they are going restock it but every time I ask them when they have excuses not to do it. Texas Parks and Wildlife does great things for central, south, north and east Texas but they're pretty worthless up here in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                I've lived here for 42 years. The lake has to be over 90' to reach these ramps. I've only seen it once. The lake has more water in it than it's had in the last 3 years and is still rising slowly. The only ramp open is in South Canyon. The water is deep enough to use the Fritch Fortress ramp to but the park service hasn't opened it back up yet.
                All the fish died about 3 years ago when it was hit with golden algae. State says they are going restock it but every time I ask them when they have excuses not to do it. Texas Parks and Wildlife does great things for central, south, north and east Texas but they're pretty worthless up here in my opinion.
                I used to go down to the fish house and drink beer and fish. Used to catch quite a few crappie there. That was in '10-12.

Comment

They made them take the marina, all the house boats and fish house out. Nothing down there now but a boat dock and a fishing dock at the ramp

Comment

I don't ever remember the water being up to those ramps at Plum Creek either (I grew up in Tulia). But the lake sure used to be a heck of a lot bigger than it is now. Pretty sad. It's good to see it coming up though. The river was running good back last summer.

Comment

Y'all every see any turkeys out there? Kind thought about doing a small backpack hunt for turkeys. Something out of the ordinary lol.

Comment

Plum Creek usually has some decent turkey hunting. So does Blue Creek. Sometimes McBride's Canyon has some but they seem to hang out in the campgrounds and no hunting areas. If you want a backpack hunt, Coetas Creek has turkeys and a pretty good trail from McBride's canyon to Coetas Creek. Its about a 3 mile trail I think.

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                          Plum Creek usually has some decent turkey hunting. So does Blue Creek. Sometimes McBride's Canyon has some but they seem to hang out in the campgrounds and no hunting areas. If you want a backpack hunt, Coetas Creek has turkeys and a pretty good trail from McBride's canyon to Coetas Creek. Its about a 3 mile trail I think.

Sweet thanks. Might check it out this spring

Comment

Just wondering if Game Warden's can assist Park Rangers with the poachers despite it being a National Recreation Area.

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                              Just wondering if Game Warden's can assist Park Rangers with the poachers despite it being a National Recreation Area.
                              Yes sir. Game wardens patrol out there pretty regularly during hunting season.

Comment

Hey guys,

I've been following this thread as a non-member for a while due to some interest in planning a hunt to Lake Meredith this year. This is actually my first post on this site. I put off joining for a long time, but figured I'd join seeing as how any time I Googled "hunting," in any capacity, this site showed up in the results...lol I'm a member of a few other hunting-related sites and have always enjoyed sharing information with fellow hunters.

As far as the topic at hand, I was curious if LM received any of this rainfall that we've all been getting hammered with the last few weeks...? I've heard the water level is still low, but has been increasing over the last couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X