No announcement yet.

"Official" SHNF 14-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We will be out there saturday morning...

Comment

Drove through today. Happy to see a few places burned.

So many places I want to look, so little time. Not sure where to begin

Comment

512 I won't be out until Saturday afternoon, AJ I talked to a ranger he said they are planning more burns this summer.

Comment

Anyone want to give a newbie (at scouting) tips out at SHNF some weekend? I'd definitely like to bow hunt public land, but it's daunting having never done it, and I don't want to be traipsing around come hunting season and annoy all the regulars. I don't want to know your hunting spots or anything like that, just get an idea of what I should be looking for, things I should avoid doing, proper etiquette when dealing with other hunters, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
            Anyone want to give a newbie (at scouting) tips out at SHNF some weekend? I'd definitely like to bow hunt public land, but it's daunting having never done it, and I don't want to be traipsing around come hunting season and annoy all the regulars. I don't want to know your hunting spots or anything like that, just get an idea of what I should be looking for, things I should avoid doing, proper etiquette when dealing with other hunters, etc.
            I like to scout after a recent rain. See where their tracks lead. Look for trails and likely bedding areas. Look for edges of cover. Look for mast producing trees, those that will be dropping fruit or acorns.
            I like to set up as far away as I can and glass an area early season. If I can pattern a deer early, he should be there opening day.
            As for etiquette, if you see someone hunting acknowledge their presence and move on. I try and get to know the people who are hunting an area I am hunting too. That way I know which way they are and I won't walk up on them. If you let them know which way you're going, they'll usually tell you. Turns out a guy and I were walking the same trails for a ways back, then we split off and hunted different ways. Had we both walked that trail without talking, I bet one of us would have gotten mad. Worked out great, he ended up becoming a great hunting buddy.

Comment

I just got back from scouting, got to see three does one had a fawn with her. Saw two dogs a small black Chihuahua and a small pit puppy a I'm guessing it's the same person that was dumping dogs last year. Also got to see my first timber rattler a small one. I was sweating like crazy out there.guys take plenty of water it's hot.

Comment

good scouting advice from HF. Do a little pre-scouting things like studying maps of the terrain as well before you put boots on the ground. Another thing you might keep in mind as far as etiquette, is plan on going in early and leaving late to your spots. Don't tramp through the woods during prime hunting time, as this is sure to ruin someone else's hunt.

Comment

Still haven't seen my first timber rattler. Can't wait till I do. I am a snake lover at heart. Most snakes get a pass from me. I've relocated a couple copperheads, and rattle snakes from some SP's in Texas. I don't recommend it for most people.
                  A few more things to note. Try and figure out where you see the majority of does in your area. You can bet during the rut, the bucks should be near by. I have heard it time and time again, deer will pattern humans. I see an occasional deer at day break, but I see 2x as many from 8-10:30. One hot early season I went for lunch and decided to climb in my stand early. It was probably 1pm. I was up and set by 1:30. Taking my time because it was so hot. All of a sudden I hear crashing of tree limbs and I figure some squirrels were chasing each other. I turn around and there are two bucks racking their antlers in a low hanging branch. Imagine my surprise! Middle of the day and hot as hades, yet there they were.
                  I had a friend who would hunt from 8-3 and he almost always saw deer. Just something to think about.

Also some great advise from Piney. I always look at a map first and see if I can identify any edges, and any abnormalities. Sometimes you can find natural openings that will make it easier to hunt an area.
                  Last edited by huntinfool; 06-28-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

That time again. One a good note got a doe thats crossing back yard ever morning and evening so atleast I got that LOL Time to get out there and sweat some pounds off

Comment

Congratulations HF. Does anyone know when we need to send in for our doe permits for rifle season? One more quick question *since this is our first year on public land*, If we want to scout with no weapons do we have to have the public land permit? Tried calling the game warden and couldn't get an answer. I got a late license last year and the wife only has fishing. So it would make no sense to spend all the money in June just to end up having to pay it all again in September. Thanks for any insight and patients guys. Looking forward to seeing you in the bush. And hoping to meet some good people.

Comment

I do not see why you would need license to scout, just do not be hunting. You would be required to pay the entry fee.

Comment

Cameras have been out for a week and picked them up today and i have my bachlor group located and does coming through nonstop during the day. I think i might actually see a deer opening morningthis year.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
                            I just got back from scouting, got to see three does one had a fawn with her. Saw two dogs a small black Chihuahua and a small pit puppy a I'm guessing it's the same person that was dumping dogs last year. Also got to see my first timber rattler a small one. I was sweating like crazy out there.guys take plenty of water it's hot.
                            Me too! Lots of downed trees and not awhile lot of sign.. Going to a differert area next week and weekend

Comment

Originally posted by deer hunter guy View Post
                              Cameras have been out for a week and picked them up today and i have my bachlor group located and does coming through nonstop during the day. I think i might actually see a deer opening morningthis year.
                              AWESOME!! I picked up one of my brand new Primos 35 cameras and it still doesn't work after the 2nd try- I'm returning it for a Browning- had alot of success with those...

Comment

Originally posted by deer hunter guy View Post
                                Great news

I think I am gonna have to invest in some cams and get them out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X