No announcement yet.

"Official" Davy Crockett National Forest hunt thread 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool thanks that's what I figured,just didn't want to break some unspoken rule haha
    I usually walk and stalk parks closer to me

Comment

Originally posted by unionmade482 View Post
      I was thinking of making a trip out there some,but the prob is
      I live nowhere close to it so I figured I get on at gun season make a camp and hike
      Around looking for a nice one. I just don't wanna **** no one off by stalking...
      What do y'all think?id prob go on a weekday
      Stalking around in the national forest in general deer season is foolish IMO. Good way to at best ruin another persons hunt, at worse get yourself shot. You absolutely never know where folks are.

Once during gun season on a Wednesday after dropping my rifle I drove all the way up and down the road for 2 miles to check for vehicles and didn't see a one at all. I wanted to check if my scope was still zeroed. So I took a empty coke can walked out in the woods, ranged it at 50 yards, rested my gun against a tree and shot the can twice. It was all great as I hit the can both times (1st shot on the bottom as I had laid it down on its side on purpose). Get back to the truck after getting the can and there is a guy and a teenage boy about 150 yards away from my truck just looking my way. When i saw him he held up his hands like WTH? I hollered at him that I was sorry and didn't see anyone parked in the area. Apparently he was dropped off. It could have been a lot worse if I had picked a spot a lot closer to them and he though I was shooting at him or a stray bullet actually came close to him. They must have been sitting on the ground and not far off the road as he beat me back to the road.

Also, unless you are very good you won't see the deer until they are running off and the woods are so thick in most places they will probably leave out without you even knowing. To each his own but my advice would be to find a good looking spot and stand hunt. It would be safer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCracker View Post
        Stalking around in the national forest in general deer season is foolish IMO. Good way to at best ruin another persons hunt, at worse get yourself shot. You absolutely never know where folks are.

Once during gun season on a Wednesday after dropping my rifle I drove all the way up and down the road for 2 miles to check for vehicles and didn't see a one at all. I wanted to check if my scope was still zeroed. So I took a empty coke can walked out in the woods, ranged it at 50 yards, rested my gun against a tree and shot the can twice. It was all great as I hit the can both times (1st shot on the bottom as I had laid it down on its side on purpose). Get back to the truck after getting the can and there is a guy and a teenage boy about 150 yards away from my truck just looking my way. When i saw him he held up his hands like WTH? I hollered at him that I was sorry and didn't see anyone parked in the area. Apparently he was dropped off. It could have been a lot worse if I had picked a spot a lot closer to them and he though I was shooting at him or a stray bullet actually came close to him. They must have been sitting on the ground and not far off the road as he beat me back to the road.

Also, unless you are very good you won't see the deer until they are running off and the woods are so thick in most places they will probably leave out without you even knowing. To each his own but my advice would be to find a good looking spot and stand hunt. It would be safer.
        All valid points. I really hate hunting and seeing someone walking around.

Comment

Well then tell me no haha,
          I'll prob just look around for a good pop up area then

Comment

Originally posted by unionmade482 View Post
            Well then tell me no haha,
            I'll prob just look around for a good pop up area then
            I think that would be safer. I would also think you would have a better chance of actually seeing our pressured deer. Between the leases and all the nf hunters the deer around here get hunted hard and are usually skittish!

Comment

Looks like an all day sit in the rain. Who's all out there today?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny quest View Post
                Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  That's what I was thinking. I'm expecting people to be doubtful. My brother in law and I found tracks near a pond last year about a mile away from where this pic was taken. But I guess until I get a clear pic of him it can be called a fake. But even if it was clear people would claim it was photoshopped. Haha. Take it for what is worth I guess. A fuzzy pic of what looks to be a cougar.
                  I have zero doubts. I used to lease some property next to Davey Crockett
                  just outside of Groveton. I had a large cat that frequented that place.
                  Prime habitat there for them. Not long after this site came on I posted a couple of pics of it. That's back when you had to scan the pic and put it on here.

Comment

I'll be out there tomorrow for the eve hunt if it aint pouring cats and dogs and will stay through to hunt sunday morning =) Good luck to anyone out there today

Comment

Originally posted by snikrah View Post
                      I'll be out there tomorrow for the eve hunt if it aint pouring cats and dogs and will stay through to hunt sunday morning =) Good luck to anyone out there today
                      I will be up Friday morning and through the Sunday morning hunt

Comment

Well,I sat through alot of rain and wind.All day!!! Saw two doe and a shooter buck,(last 15min). Missed him over his back. He was slowly following a young doe then he stopped around 48 yds. looking in my direction,looked like he was listening for the doe that was 15 sec ahead of him by then,then he proceeded to turn around and start walking away,ranged him at 51 so i let one go. I geuss I was rattled because I never shoot moving deer much less at 51 yds. I geuss weve all done stupid things on a stand? Anyways enjoyed the rain not so much the wind. hard day to sit and then do something dumb.

Comment

Well,I sat through alot of rain and wind.All day!!! Saw two doe and a shooter buck,(last 15min). Missed him over his back. He was slowly following a young doe then he stopped around 48 yds. looking in my direction,looked like he was listening for the doe that was 15 sec ahead of him by then,then he proceeded to turn around and start walking away,ranged him at 51 so i let one go. I geuss I was rattled because I never shoot moving deer much less at 51 yds. I geuss weve all done stupid things on a stand? Anyways enjoyed the rain not so much the wind. hard day to sit and then do something dumb.
                          Sucks to hear man! It happens to everyone!

Comment

16point down, headed to get ice. Pics to come.

Comment

Originally posted by snikrah View Post
                              16point down, headed to get ice. Pics to come.
                              Congrats

Comment

Holy Cow! Congrats and let's see those pics

Comment

Working...
                                X