"Official" Davy Crockett National Forest hunt thread 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gdawg View Post
    Great job on the yote! Never been able to get one to stand still long enough for an arrow
    I used a fawn call when I saw him. He came straight to my tree and I whistled at him.

Comment

Flash, I would use a bigger flash light too. And I would go back, I'd just have a fixed blade knife ready!!

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
        Can you eat them?
        YEP! taste like pu....!

Comment

Originally posted by hog wild View Post
          I wish someone would kill one for all the none believers. There is not alot but a few scattered around. Garguy Thats a great buck ol pops killed.
          I killed one in 07. Long story don't wanna rehash it.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            I killed one in 07. Long story don't wanna rehash it.
            Inquiring minds want to know ! Seriously Steve, we would love to hear at least the short version !

Comment

Originally posted by luna-tuna View Post
              Inquiring minds want to know ! Seriously Steve, we would love to hear at least the short version !
              U posted the story on other threads but here is short version.

Hunting private property between Grapeland and Percilla. Big cut over thicket with narrow lanes. First day of youth season and my daughter had my 280 sitting right in front of me. he came out broad side at 40yds. I told her to shoot when I stopped him. I whistles, he stopped broadside and she was looking through the scope at him, I whispered shoot and she said "Thats not a deer DADDY!". He heard that and took off. I got her moved and grabbed the gun, Shot him running quartering away at about 75yds. He went head over heals about six times and got in the brush. We sat there till it was black dark and my dad got there. Found lots of blood but my helpers didn't want to trail a wounded cougar in an overgrown clearcut with a flashlight. Argument ensued with landowner about legality of shooting the cat. (he was well aware of its presence}. Looked next morning after confirming legality for the landowner and the blood had dries up or ended within a few yards. Found him two days later by buzzards, he had doubled back and crossed my lane and was maybe 50yds in the opposte direction and rotten. Lots of witnesses, no pics.

Comment

Anyone hunting DCNF this weekend? I am headed back down this afternoon.

Comment

Thanks Garguy !

Comment

I'll be climbing a tree tomorrow evening and sticking around till Sunday. Looking for that big boy that busted me last year.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeard View Post
                      Anyone hunting DCNF this weekend? I am headed back down this afternoon.
                      Im here and hunting my honey hole in the morning. Acorns the size of golfballs almost and the ground us torn up!

Comment

Good luck Snikrah. I'm headed to the forest after work tomorrow. It should be good Saturday morning. I got a spike opening weekend on Sunday. Looking for something bigger this weekend. The big ones should be on their feet.

Comment

It stinks, I have to miss this weekend due to some "family" things. I really wish I could get out there and get a doe before archery season is over. I had 3 chances this year a dropped the ball on all of them. I'm beginning to think I may be cursed! Lol. I was killing plenty of deer when I had my old "gander mountain" bow. But as soon as I sold it and dropped some coin on a mathews I haven't killed anything but a coyote!!! It's killing me and I hope I can get it all worked out before that big boy steps out!

Comment

Omg I love this spot!, bucks chasing these doe all over the place. Nothing big yet but fingers are crossed.

Comment

Tracks everywhere.... 2 scrapes a fresh rub and no deer. Been in stand since 6. Ghost town.... Even improver my camo and scent control.

Comment

Finally had a slick head walk under me then out to 20 and I buried that arrow. Woohoo backsrap for dinner. Pic to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X