Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

congrats Sarge on the Doe!

Looks like I wont be back out till Monday, been real busy, good luck to you guys out this evening

Comment

Busted again. 3 does straight down wind from me. One actuall looked up and stated at me. Guess I need to go higher.

Comment

15 ft is low... I'm at 30' now... 25 is pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
          15 ft is low... I'm at 30' now... 25 is pretty good
          I agree, I have been winded every time I was lower than 20ft

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
            Or spotted

Comment

you have to wear a cap and vest ALL YEAR LONG in the national forest. You NEVER have to wear orange in the archery only sections.
              I have always said this same thing. I have called the SHNF office and they agreed. However I am now being told by a friend of the enforcement officer that he will give a citation to anyone not wearing orange. His reasoning is the rule book says you do not have to wear it if there is not an open hunting season in the UNIT. SHNF is considered UNIT 905. ALL OF IT!!!!

So by that reason, they will be issuing citations. At least that is what I am being told now.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                So jealous. Wish I was back out there. This weekend was wet for sherry and I. Also you better have your orange on. Vest and hat. Even in the archery only. I hot a 171.00 to let for not having mine on. :-/
                I think it's a better idea to wear orange in the archery only, for safety reasons if nothing else. Don't really mean to start the debate over again, just remembered seeing this post a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                  I have always said this same thing. I have called the SHNF office and they agreed. However I am now being told by a friend of the enforcement officer that he will give a citation to anyone not wearing orange. His reasoning is the rule book says you do not have to wear it if there is not an open hunting season in the UNIT. SHNF is considered UNIT 905. ALL OF IT!!!!

So by that reason, they will be issuing citations. At least that is what I am being told now.
                  This excerpt is taken from the Public Hunting book, page xi:

Prohibited Acts:

Hunter Orange:

Fails to visible wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headwear and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back during daylight hours at times when hunting with firearms is permited. Exempt from these requirements are: (1) authorized department personnel and landowner employess, (2) persons hunting turkey or migratory birds, (3) persons within the enclosed passenger compartment of a motor hehicle, (4) persons within a designated campground, designated vehicle parking area, designated boat launching facility or departmental check station, and (5) persons other than hunters on COE properties.

NOTICE to archery hunters and recreational users:You must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit. Many units allow firearm hunting year-round for rabbits, and firearm hunts for squirrel and dove often are conducted concurrently with archery deer hunts.

After reading this I can see how they could cite you because you are on the UNIT 905, which allows firearm hunting. I guess I will be wearing my orange now

Comment

Where are the dang deer???

Comment

Got real quiet here. I guess 2 groups of does ain't bad on a hot afternoon. The morning should be good.

Comment

What time are y'all sitting until?

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
                          Where are the dang deer???
                          There's plenty on the sportsman channel here at the house

Comment

My cutoff was 6:15. Busted by my 3rd group of does at 6:13. Actually not busted very quickly though. Just never got a good shot. They stayed under me for 5 minutes.

Comment

In climbing down at 7... 7:01 is official cut off for legal shooting time lol

Comment

I like getting up to 25ft

Comment

Working...
                                X