No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way things keep popping up I haven't had a chance to even get to the NF yet. Planned on a trip this weekend but my Granny (great grandmother) passed away on Monday at 102, and was buried yesterday. Next weekend I have a cycling event in Arkansas, and the weekend after that a reunion with my old team (Army).

Looks like I'll have to count on the later parts of October and more than a little luck. I know I'll get venison in my freezer this year, but I want to take some off public land!

Comment

The way things keep popping up I haven't had a chance to even get to the NF yet. Planned on a trip this weekend but my Granny (great grandmother) passed away on Monday at 102, and was buried yesterday. Next weekend I have a cycling event in Arkansas, and the weekend after that a reunion with my old team (Army).

Looks like I'll have to count on the later parts of October and more than a little luck. I know I'll get venison in my freezer this year, but I want to take some off public land!

Comment

Who drives the gun metal fordf150? I pulled over so you could get by on the forest service road..

Comment

Had a good looooong walk this morning with gen:128 ..... Fun times..

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
            Who drives the gun metal fordf150? I pulled over so you could get by on the forest service road..
            I was in the same area right behind you red Chevy S10

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
              I was in the same area right behind you red Chevy S10
              Thought that was you when you waved .... Don't tell anyone where we started out before driving down that road ...... ;-)

Comment

I went out to the woods this morning to check my trailcams, looks like does are hitting the acorns.I got two does with fawns feeding early morning and late at night.

Comment

Thought that was you when you waved .... Don't tell anyone where we started out before driving down that road ...... ;-)
                  don't worry I won't.

Comment

Met up with AJMag for some last minute scouting/GPSing. Forest was a busy place this morning! Lots of folks looking and scouting for spots.

We were busy picking out trees to climb and marking them on GPS. Had to really pay close attention to the dead trees around you. Drought has been hard on the timber.

Found Post Oaks, Pin Oaks, and White Oaks all dropping acorns and just like Buck-Chaser mentioned earlier, we saw plenty of doe and yearling tracks. The only problem with that spot is it will need to be hunted on a North wind, so first blast of air from the North, we will jump in there and slay some doe's! Well, if I can wait that long, I might just have to take a chance and hunt it anyway and see if I can get lucky. I need to get in there before the acorns dry up.

At another spot we found a nice cluster of scrapes that looked as if they had been worked more than one day. Had a good licking branch over them. I set a trail camera overlooking them. Maybe I can get a pic of this buck. Judging by the track he wont be a "mega beast" but it will be nice to get a pic of him and check him out.

Really enjoyed the day, AJ. Hope you checked for ticks, I was covered up with them!!!

Comment

Good times... Ticks Suck!

I'm feeling it now.. got marinade and bbq sauce on standby, c'mon saturday...

Comment

The Day is fast approaching ..... Damian , whats the word on a lunch time get together ?
                        Waverly house at noon ?

Comment

Ksig512 -- Check out post #719

Comment

The Day is fast approaching ..... Damian , whats the word on a lunch time get together ?
                            Waverly house at noon ?
                            Yes, lunch at Noonish at the Wavetly house. I am open for Sunday lunch any ideas?

Comment

[QUOTE=huntinfool;5866792]Yes, lunch at Noonish at the Wavetly house. I am open for Sunday lunch any .

Wherever, the wife and i are down for anything

Comment

Well, thieves struck today.
                                Could have been worse.
                                I've been going to this spot setting up cams for several months now, never saw a single sign that anyone knew about the spot. I'm pretty far off a trail, so it just goes to show you that you still need to LOCK your cams up. Which mine was.
                                Luckily they only took the external battery, then they cross connected the solar panel to the dc power cord, probably hoping to damage the cam, it didn't (thanks primos) I guess that python master lock paid off. I'm sure if it wasn't locked up they would have walked off with it. I bite the bullet and spent some bucks on three security lock boxes but wasn't using it this time, just the cable lock. Of course that wouldn't prevent them from taking the battery and solar panel. It is a pain dragging extra weight into the woods, but you really have to lock your stuff up. I hate thieves!!!!! and hogs!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X