No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking to get out a do some scouting Saturday and looking at the maps since I have never been to the park but looks like the best closest place to hunt since I have moved to Houston and I have no idea where to start. I know no one should/will tell me where there sweet spots are but is there a better place to start looking? And about those chiggers, what do you do to keep from being eating up by them? I will be in a green '96 f-250 if you see me say hello, always enjoy meeting other TBHR's.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
      I am looking to get out a do some scouting Saturday and looking at the maps since I have never been to the park but looks like the best closest place to hunt since I have moved to Houston and I have no idea where to start. I know no one should/will tell me where there sweet spots are but is there a better place to start looking? And about those chiggers, what do you do to keep from being eating up by them? I will be in a green '96 f-250 if you see me say hello, always enjoy meeting other TBHR's.
      The first place I started was at the forest ranger's office on 1375 and talked with them some and bought one of their maps. Ask them any and all questions you might have that you want clarified while you're there. I use that map in conjunction with the map in the aph permit book, because one will show you things that the other won't, like I better idea of where no hunting zones are because of nearby camp grounds, etc. Then just wonder in somewhere and look.

And one thing to keep in mind when asking questions on here is keep road names and general areas quiet on the main threads.

Comment

rubber boots with your pants tucked in should keep the chiggers away.

Comment

I've never hunted the national forest, but is there designated parking areas? Do you have the park on the road and hike all the way in to your spots? I assume you can't camp out overnight? Do u ever have to worry about walking in that morning (which I assume its a long walk because I'd go where most people wouldn't) only to find your hunting the same spot as someone else come daylight?

Comment

You can camp overnight in the camping areas. Yes to the parking and hiking (or biking).

As far as the hunting on top of someone else, I never had that issue. As long as you and others avoid areas where someone is already parked, or you don't park on one side and walk until you get closer to another road and parking area, you should be fine.

Comment

10-4 ajmag and pineywoods. got me a gps and downloading some topos. its a gaermin etrex20 and I found a free tx topo. This way I will not get loss out there in that big ol park.

Comment

A GPS is definitely handy to get you to the areas on the APH or other maps. Drive around a few areas and go down a few trails. Be on the lookout for signs of other hunters as well as deer. If you see game cams...getting in and out of that spot might ruin a hunt trip for you or someone else unless you get to know them and are all on the same page. Scout around...bring plenty of water...it's hot!!! And In The thick of the woods you will find the trees insulating you making the heat tough to deal with. Have fun

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                  Rubber boots and tucking sound good, but I'm going to spray down with off also! I hate Chiggers!

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                  I've never hunted the national forest, but is there designated parking areas? Do you have the park on the road and hike all the way in to your spots? I assume you can't camp out overnight? Do u ever have to worry about walking in that morning (which I assume its a long walk because I'd go where most people wouldn't) only to find your hunting the same spot as someone else come daylight?
                  During hunting season camping is limited to Hunter Camps. Right now you can disperse camp anywhere on the forest.

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                    I also duct tape where my boots and pants meet ...

Comment

It's almost that time of year again. Unfortunately, I will be transferring to San Diego in November so I won't have very long this year. Looking forward to another great year in the Sam, and hopefully getting to meet a few of you vets before I leave. Good luck to everyone this upcoming season.

Comment

Whew. Went scouting today. Super hot out. We went down our trail and realized pretty quick that our old spot has been completely overrun by hogs. Ground tore up everywhere. Not a sign of a deer to be found. Since the hogs scared the deer off we checked out another spot. No trail. We just walked in the woods and found a pretty decent little area....we were about to set up a camera when we noticed a nice double ladder stand in the distance....NEXT!! We finally found a very nice little nook with an old dry creekbed......rubs...and a few good tracks. The trail cam is snap snap snapping away pics of huge bucks...fat doe and the occasional sasquatch as we speak.....well....I hope

Comment

Got out to SHNF for the first time today. As suggested I stopped at the Ranger Office at 7:50. Door was posted 8:00 opening, so I check over the postings outside. Come 8:30 still no one. So no good map or answers to my questions I headed down the road. Made a few turns and drove for awhile. "This looks like a spot to stop." Step out of the truck and find this:

The buzzards were all over these boned out fish at the head of the trail

It was hot but the moon was out looking down:

I now see why climber stands were recommended to hunt here. Man those are some cool straight tall trees around there.

I spotted some good tracks

They seem to like to travel along the service roads. Was hard to make out game trails but did follow a few.

I then came across a scrape (I think/ what do you all say. Sorry for the bad pic, I think its sweat and sun messing it up)

Then there see was, a doe. Bedded down and now running. This happened two more times on my trip. Not sure if I saw 3 does or the same 1, 3 times.

So I think I have found my spot. However while I was out there were some flagged trees as well as trees spray painted. So are these left by other hunters. They all looked old. Didn't see any cameras. What says the board?

Also, do you guys set up with shooting lanes alone service roads (the ones over grown), or do you get back off the trail. I found a good spot for both. One at at crossing and service road and one in a feed spot with bedding areas near by. Once again what does he board think?

So I hope I found my spot if it is indeed with-in the hunting allowed area (guess I need to get back out there when the ranger is around to find out).

Oh and like werewolf said...man it was a hot one, but hey no problems with chiggers or misquotes. I even forgot the off.

Comment

Sounds like a great spot. Pics look good too. I usually scout around noon. Ive had less encounters with deer during scouting this way but I don't want to scare them off. I try to sneak.in there and set up a camera while bucky is nappin. Ive seen a lot of tagged trees and painted trees and MOST of those with a ribbon wrapped completely around the tree are done by the forest service. Hunters typically leave small orange trail tags if anything. Spray painted dots on trees are usually the forest service too. I imagine some hunters have marked a trail with paint before. But its illegal in the national forest for a hunter to put paint on a tree and generally frowned upon anyway. Where we hunt I see white dots painted on trees...trees with ribbons and have seen this for years. It's pretty normal and doesn't necessarily mean someone else is hunting that spot. Yesterday we walked right up on a ladder stand. I know for sure someone was hunting there so I scrammed! Theres probably some great pics of a sweaty ticked off me on a trail cam over there somewhere.

Comment

thanks for the info werewolf. Do any of you guys camp out during the season?

Comment

thanks for the info werewolf. Do any of you guys camp out during the season?
                                I live in willis so I camp out on the couch.

Comment

Working...
                                X