LANWR Dec 15th - 19th Archery Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
    Curious because I have never been.... When using these bikes, are there trails/roads you stay on mostly or is it a lot of cruising across pastures?
    A lot of trails and gravel roads. You can only take a vehicle on the county road so everything else on the refuge has to be foot or bike travel.

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post

A lot of trails and gravel roads. You can only take a vehicle on the county road so everything else on the refuge has to be foot or bike travel.
      ok makes sense. Thanks!

Comment

Another great LANWR hunt in the books! As bad as i wanted a Nilgai i just couldn’t get the stars to align. 3 close encounters in bow range, but never drew back.

I had a tough pill to swallow the last afternoon. With 20 minutes of light left I catch movement in front of me. What proceeds to walk out and stop at 30 yards was a stud of a buck for there. A big, heavy horned 10 with good height. Well into the 130s. All i could do was play the shot over and over in my head.
        Attached Files

Comment

Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge
          12/16/2023

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
            Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge
            12/16/2023
            Most physically demanding hunt of my life. Without the efforts of my buddy on this trip, I likely wouldn't want to do this again. Hats off to anyone that solo hunts these areas. It was very rewarding and every bite of this delicious creature taste ever so sweet knowing the blood and sweat it took hauling it out.

Quartering away; pass-through with expandable grimr reaper...Shot 4.14 miles from the truck; Pack-out 1.3 miles; Distance from shot to recovery = .51 miles

Comment

Congratulations to the both of you!

Comment

Working...
              X