• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post

Did you get picked?
    Nope- but my ride home was thirty miles

Comment

I think it depends on the place and who is running it. I drew a hunt one year, can’t remember which one, but I paid for my spot. Something came up and I wasn’t going to be able to make the hunt. I called the area and the guy I spoke to said they could not let a paid spot go to standby.
      On another hunt I drew, I was going to be late and not make the orientation but would be there shortly after. They said no problem and told me the same thing, could not let a paid spot go to a standby.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
        I think it depends on the place and who is running it. I drew a hunt one year, can’t remember which one, but I paid for my spot. Something came up and I wasn’t going to be able to make the hunt. I called the area and the guy I spoke to said they could not let a paid spot go to standby.
        On another hunt I drew, I was going to be late and not make the orientation but would be there shortly after. They said no problem and told me the same thing, could not let a paid spot go to a standby.

Sqiggy,

Both of the scenarios you describe were my understanding on the issue as well. Hence, my reason to ask the question in the OP.

Comment

I was under the impression that it all depends on the animal quotas that the areas have. If they (Wildlife Biologist) feel like they need allow additional hunters to fill the needed harvest numbers, they can add standby hunters at their discretion.

Comment

Ive drawn standby after permitted hunters selected twice. Ive had standby hunters draw for blinds with already drawn and paid hunters. More often than not standbys draw last

On another note........For the last several years James Daughtry has had 5 permits for their gator hunt. They have also thrown out standby spots for the same unit the day of the hunt. The folks that run the hunt now say its not safe to run a dog on choke canyon during the early part of duck season due to the amount of gators. Seems to be an excess of lizards but short on tags. IDK

A buddy just made one of their hunts and drew north shore for deer. They did not see a deer while hunting. Meanwhile the campground at the Calliham unit which has been famed time and time again for the deer in the park is closed for hunting. Its also a violation of park rules to feed the deer that are there because there are so many. Thats coming from the people running the unit.

Makes perfect sense

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              On the antlerless spike hunts certain areas still won't let you shoot buck with just one slick horn, it has to be spikes on both sides, even though TPWD have changed the definition of a spike to one unbranched. Some of these places are just doing it the "way its always been done", instead of brushing up on regulation changes annually reading the outdoor annual.

Comment

Working...
              X