Chaparral WMA Archery 11/28-12/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
    Pretty disappointing year for horns for sure. Some older deer but not much horns. Still a few white horn younger deer killed. I wish the Tpwd need to implement a $500 trophy/kill fee for deer taken then people might be more picky. Come on spring rains hopefully it will turn the chap around sooner than later.
    Funny you mentioned the fee. Have a friend that had your average hill county/ not quiet south Texas) lease. Everyone was shooting young bucks and quickly shooting major ground shrinkage bucks. They implemented a rule on the “trophy buck” is HAD to be mounted to stay on lease. Went from average to amesome
    in short time

an east Texas oil company here locally did something similar as well. They own lots of quality land and offer it free to employees. They were just pillaging it! Implemented free hunting -bucks were $600, spike - 200”. Funny you can’t even day hunt a spike for $600 but when the value is off the table the standards go up. lol. They now shoot numerous 140”+ yearly for the low price of $600.

hagerman is headed this way fast. They wait years to draw… got 3 days…. “Hey there’s a hagerman buck! Wack”. Hard to grow 160” when you kill them at 110”. But I guess the trophy is in the eye of the beholder
    Last edited by Low Fence; 12-20-2023, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Were any deer shot on the second archery hunt, some of those deer on the Chap facebook from the rifle hunt don't look to make the minimum spread requirement, I wonder if they waived the restriction?
      Last edited by bossbowman; 12-24-2023, 08:54 AM.

Comment

No they did not waive the restrictions. I agree some borderline bucks for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X