Chaparral WMA Archery 11/28-12/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaparral WMA Archery 11/28-12/1

Haven't seen one started for the first archery at the Chap. I'll be down there. Anybody else?

Maroon f250. Parked in my reserved stand by parking spot like very year.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Maroon f250. Parked in my reserved stand by parking spot like very year.
      Wondering if she is gonna do any this year, have you heard if she’s drawing any?

Comment

31 kids shot 9 freaking does during the youth hunt. That’s is horrible for a place that takes 15+ years to draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          31 kids shot 9 freaking does during the youth hunt. That’s is horrible for a place that takes 15+ years to draw.
          Add a 10 to that 15…… it’s so green down there it’s going to be tough down there till they get a freeze

Comment

Got placed in West Guajalote. Looking forward to it. It may be a tough hunt but it beats working any day!
            If anyone has info on this unit it would be appreciated.
            Thanks.

Comment

Add a 37 to that 10.

Comment

Thinking about no showing on 12/5. Good grief

Comment

Took us 17 years to finally draw and I can say this without hesitation, TPWD "biologists", and whatever they are doing OR not doing, on that piece of ground, as far as herd management, has all but ruined the deer hunting on the place. Maybe that is their true objective.
                  We saw a few deer but only because it was dry, 100 degrees, and our pasture was one of the few that had water on it, AND that is the only reason we saw any deer. Most hunters saw 0 deer.
                  Hell there aren't even any javelina on that place. I didn't even think that was possible in that country down there..

Don't waste your time.
                  Last edited by PondPopper; 11-24-2023, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post

Took us 17 years to finally draw and I can say this without hesitation, TPWD "biologists", and whatever they are doing OR not doing, on that piece of ground, as far as herd management, has all but ruined the deer hunting on the place. Maybe that is their true objective.
                    We saw a few deer but only because it was dry, 100 degrees, and our pasture was one of the few that had water on it, AND that is the only reason we saw any deer. Most hunters saw 0 deer.
                    Hell there aren't even any javelina on that place. I didn't even think that was possible in that country down there..

Don't waste your time.
                    I bet there isn’t a single 15000 acre HF ranch in south Texas where 30 kids would shoot less than 30 deer in a hunt weekend. It’s unreal. We really should organize some pressure on TPWD to better manage properties that WE own. Some places do a fantastic job, so I know it’s possible. Look at all the guzzlers in Black Gap that keep animals alive in major drought conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      Add a 37 to that 10.
                      Lordy you got that many points for archery too?

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post

Don't waste your time.

I bet there isn’t a single 15000 acre HF ranch in south Texas where 30 kids would shoot less than 30 deer in a hunt weekend. It’s unreal. We really should organize some pressure on TPWD to better manage properties that WE own. Some places do a fantastic job, so I know it’s possible. Look at all the guzzlers in Black Gap that keep animals alive in major drought conditions.
                        We withdrew our name from the hat for the gun hunt this year after hearing how bad the hunting is @ Chap, did draw the archery hunt unfortunately and let it go to 2nd draw​.

Management of Chap is the biggest F up by TPWD the last few years only second to them losing Fairfield state park. You've got people down there drawing a paycheck not doing their jobs.

Comment

It has gotten really bad down there. We were on the second archery hunt last year and my wife was the only one to bring in a buck. He was 7 years old and nothing compared to what he should have been. I was proud of her for taking him but not at all what you would expect from south Texas. Even on cameras there wasn’t anything that wrould make your jaw drop.

Comment

So, what are they doing wrong and what changes need to be made? How would you manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              So, what are they doing wrong and what changes need to be made? How would you manage it.
                              Look at any 15K acre ranch in south Texas and do ANY of that, and in 3-5 years it would be a trophy draw again. It’s really not complicated. Food, water, shelter.

The problem as I understand it, is they don’t really care about it being a good deer property. They are researching their own stuff using our dollars to do it.

I might do so further research and write up a real article.

Comment

Working...
                              X