No announcement yet.

Won Aransas NWR Archery Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was posted on FB by Refuge on Oct 3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	279
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	26609698

Comment

I've never applied for this hunt just because, well, mosquitoes. But I started looking deeper into it recently. But holy cow, 300 permits seems like a lot of guys trying to hunt on top of each other. Maybe I'll go see what it is all about some day.

Comment

I hope someone gets a pic of the harvest board as the exit today.

Comment

How was the Mosquitos? We are on the youth hunt at Stringfellow and they are horrendous out here, at least the Therma cells keeping them out of the box blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post
            How was the Mosquitos? We are on the youth hunt at Stringfellow and they are horrendous out here, at least the Therma cells keeping them out of the box blind.
            Over all, they were not bad. Day1 and 2 of scouting, I only heard 2 while at my truck. None out in the field, couldn't believe it. Had 2 friends back out due to the thought of them. Then it rained before the hunt started. Day 1 through the last day, they escalated more each day. Last 2 days I folded and used some insecticide lotion. Just kept my nose in the wind as usual, but went to using my saddle again to get up above them and was not bothered til walking in or walking out. While being up in a tree was great to avoid the skeeters, it was not the best positioning for my hunt. I had to dawn my special bug jacket one evening, and it saved me for sure. Great item for there, just can't aim a bow out of it in low light. I was imagining unzipping and opening the head net to aim and draw, but my deer only showed before and after shooting light this year.

But they were not near as bad as usual. There are times when you can't hardly fish St. Charles bay on the refuge side. I'd imagine several people left after the first few days when they escalated.

Comment

Harvest Log
              07 Oct - 7 Deer, 1 Hog, 1-6pt, 1-3pt, 2-Spike, 3-Doe
              08 Oct - 5 Deer, 1 Hog, 1-8pt, 1-7pt, 1-Spike, 2-Doe
              09 Oct - 5 Deer, 0 Hog, 1-8pt, 1-7pt, 1-Spike, 2-Doe
              10 Oct - 2 Deer, 0 Hog, 1-10pt, 1-Spike
              11 Oct - 2 Deer, 2 Hog, 1-Spike, 1-Doe
              12 Oct - 0 Deer, 1 Hog
              13 Oct - 0 Deer, 1 Hog
              14 Oct - 3 Deer, 1 Hog, 1-9pt, 2-8pt
              15 Oct - 1 Deer, 0 Hog, 1-8pt

Tough hunt as always.

Comment

I went there 2 years ago I believe. It was a gun hunt. It was very disappointing to say the least. The place was a swamp with very few suitable areas to hunt due to the wet conditions. The only deer we saw were on private property adjacent to the NWR. The vegetation was also not cut down in most areas, again, due to the wet conditions. We saw 1 hog as were driving around looking for a place to park and hunt. We left after the second day as we didn't see any point in staying.

Comment

8 % success rate on Deer and 10.6 % Deer and Hogs. Probably 100% kill rate on Mosquito's. I am sure way less than the 300 permits showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Werk View Post

swamp

ive been working the break back towards the entrance. The one that runs south.

im done after today, obligations to the family and a busy weekend.

If I don’t get him, I’ll give you the spot where’s he’s bedding and feeding. Someone should get him. Most mature deer I’ve seen out here yet.

Werk, you bought any hunting saddle setups on TBH lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Werk View Post

swamp

ive been working the break back towards the entrance. The one that runs south.

im done after today, obligations to the family and a busy weekend.

If I don’t get him, I’ll give you the spot where’s he’s bedding and feeding. Someone should get him. Most mature deer I’ve seen out here yet.

Now that your hunt is wrapped up, maybe you can make time to make things right with Perow.

He is one of the nicest and most generous folks on this site. If this is a misunderstanding, please clear the issue for us

Comment

Used to hunt it all the time in high school and for a few years afterwards. We shot lots of deer. Seemed easier back then. We used to camp on the side of the road just outside the park. They won’t let you do that anymore. Wish I still I was still mad at them like that. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X